Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WHY does PLA stick to Blue Tape so well?

Posted by peterrash 
WHY does PLA stick to Blue Tape so well?
March 04, 2013 11:30PM
I've been using blue tape on my print bed with PLA, and the stuff sticks better than anything else I've tried, even with the heated bed off. However, re-applying tape is a pain, especially since I am working on building a large-scale RepRap, which will have a much larger bed. I like blue tape because it combats warping so well.

So my question is, does anyone know WHY blue tape sticks so well? It would be nice to know what it is that enhances the adhesion, so that that property could be applied to another type of (more permanent) material on the heat bed, rather than tape.

Does anyone know the answer, or is it some sort of dark magic that nobody understands?

Thanks.
Re: WHY does PLA stick to Blue Tape so well?
March 05, 2013 04:05AM
Blue tape has a thin waxy/plastic coating to stop paint soaking through when using it for masking. I presume this is what helps it stick - the plastic must fuse to it a bit.

Also if your having difficulty making prints stick to a hot bed try a thin layer of sugar water - 1cm of sugar dissolved in 3cm of water works well for me. Wipe a thin layer on with a cloth.
VDX
March 05, 2013 04:52AM
... you can use malt-beer (or normal beer) without dilution ... or hair-spray ... or many other solvents, that dry to a thin but stable coating, that would be softened by the filament heat ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 05, 2013 05:04AM
peterrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sticks so well? It would be nice to know what it
> is that enhances the adhesion, so that that
> property could be applied to another type of (more
> permanent) material on the heat bed, rather than
> tape.

While the bed is cold put a thin, even layer of undiluted PVA glue onto the bed. Turn on the heatbed and let it dry fully. I get at least 10 sets of prints before I have to replace it.

Andy
March 05, 2013 05:14AM
bear in mind , not all hair spray is the same, you want it to go on the glass nice and clear, if it leaves white residue it's not going to work anywhere near as well,

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

March 05, 2013 05:17AM
thejollygrimreaper Wrote:
> bear in mind , not all hair spray is the same, you
> want it to go on the glass nice and clear, if it
> leaves white residue it's not going to work
> anywhere near as well,

+1

I have used some went on clear and that didn't work either. Hence why I tried sugar water.
March 05, 2013 11:20AM
Pva mix. 1 part pva glue, 3 parts water.

After a print you can wipe with a damp cloth to "refurbish" the surface, or clean entirely and reapply.
March 05, 2013 12:24PM
xclusive585 Wrote:
> Pva mix. 1 part pva glue, 3 parts water.
>
> After a print you can wipe with a damp cloth to
> "refurbish" the surface, or clean entirely and
> reapply.

What he ^^^^ said. Works great.
March 05, 2013 04:37PM
konwiddak : even with the going on clear bit, the stuff i use is incredible, on repraper pla, the brand i use is "CEDEL" extra firm, pla sticks to this stuff so well we've broken several glass buidtables and/or removed chunks of glass removing parts, it comes in a pink spray can and most super markets carry it

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

March 05, 2013 05:25PM
As mentioned above PVA glue (Elmer's glue) mixed with water has worked great for me. Just put a thin coat down and turn on the heated bed to help dry it fast.
March 05, 2013 11:06PM
blue painters tape works ok, but the stickyness goes away after 3-4 uses.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login