Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dual Extruder Weight

Posted by N314 
Dual Extruder Weight
March 06, 2013 09:24AM
Im going to put a dual extruder on my printer. But....

A bowden would reduce weight, which i like, but ive heard bad thing about them with retract, compression, etc

So i really like the idea of a geared or direct drive extruder with motors and all ON the X carriage... I would likley design it myself.

My main beef with having two motors on the carriage is weight... how bad is it to have 2 NEMAs and 2 hotends moving around? Anyone have theorys, opinions, suggestions, or experience?

-Nick
Re: Dual Extruder Weight
March 06, 2013 11:05AM
Many of the problems with bowden have been reduced, Sublime with his tantillus is a nice example. Very little stringing.

If you want direct drive a lot of people are using PG35L motors, which are very light and deliver adequate torque but may be more speed limited.
[www.thingiverse.com]
March 06, 2013 07:18PM
Im not necessarily asking what will work, but more this is what I have, and will this work.

Ill have to take a look at sublimes bowden.

-Nick
March 07, 2013 08:54AM
It will work, it just won't be able to accelerate as hard as lighter print heads in the same machine. There are a number of ways to compensate with belt arrangements or higher voltage to the steppers. That sort of thing.
March 07, 2013 11:16AM
The inertia of two Nema 17's being flung around would likely affect print quality and speed. It's worth pursuing but those light weight motors I linked are cheaper and lighter and probably adequate (no experience with them myself). I have dual bowden and am very thankful that I don't have to throw around an extra kilo of weight when making sharp turns.
March 07, 2013 04:30PM
yydoctt: how are your bowdens working? Did you have a geared/direct drive with a motor on the carriage before? Do you see much of a difference in print quality with bowdens?

-Nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login