Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best firmware?

Posted by cobrageek 
Best firmware?
March 14, 2013 04:23PM
I'm setting up a new Prusa 2 and have Sanguinololu electronics. I've seen a lot of mentions of spinter, repetier and marlin and I see on reprap.org that there are several other branches of the firmware. I think the Sanguinololu came preinstalled with something, but I don't know what and I'm fine replacing it with something else (I'm sure there's a newer version of whatever is installed anyway).

What is the best firmware to get things setup and going? Is there a different one recommended if your an expert? What are the advantages of the different ones? Is it normal to switch firmware types as there are improvements or do you pretty much stick with a branch once you get going?

Thanks for helping out a newbie!
Re: Best firmware?
March 14, 2013 05:12PM
marlin firmware is most adjustable, has smoother trajectory and look ahead to keep speeds up.

too keep the cool around here, this is in my humble opinion. i have not used repetier recently, but have used sprinter, tonokip, teacup, marlin, and makerbot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2013 05:15PM by jamesdanielv.
April 02, 2013 10:40PM
I currently using Tonokip and I'm not to satisfied with it since I keep failing at calibrating the extruder.

How can I change the firmware to marlin?
Can you give me the steps?

Thank you
April 03, 2013 01:14AM
read here : [reprap.org] look under Configuring and compilation

also teacup fits into smaller chips, and now has faster acceleration. i don't know about path planning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2013 02:43AM by jamesdanielv.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login