Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Acetone fogger using piezo?

Posted by tmorris9 
Acetone fogger using piezo?
April 03, 2013 03:37AM
Has anybody tried using a high frequency piezo fogger with acetone for smoothing ABS?

I am thinking about those ones used in tabletop fountains to make fog. Most are in a plastic case but I bet the guts could be harvested and used bare on in metal. Not sure if it would work on acetone like it does water but it might be an alternative to the volatile heat method.
Re: Acetone fogger using piezo?
April 03, 2013 07:02AM
Seems like it would work, I know that maplin (UK) sell these in a completely metal case.
April 03, 2013 10:09AM
I experimented with ones that were in humidfiers back in the 80s. The transducer looked like quarter sitting in cup and they filled the cup to overflowing, which kept the liquid level constant. It would probably work well, but you'd still have an explosion hazard which no one seems to mention. I'm waiting to here the survivors tale, if there are any, survivors that is!
April 03, 2013 11:16AM
that could work, but the heatbed works fine too.
April 03, 2013 06:51PM
There are plenty of survivors. It doesn't explode, just turns into flambe. I wouldn't recommend using it to saute anything however.
April 03, 2013 07:27PM
I was just thinking that without heat it might be a little safer, maybe not. I see people are using the ultrasonic pond foggers (all metal) to create gas vapor. Supposedly to get better fuel milage. Lots of YouTube videos about it.

If you used a fogger, maybe it could be in a closed container as there should not be any pressure build up so no need for a vent, thus no flammable vapors spewing out.
April 04, 2013 01:48AM
What I use for an acetone vapor bath is a presto deep frier. They are cheap, have a lid and controls the temp decently. I attached a sample, it was only in the presto for about 5-8 minutes.
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (347 KB)
April 04, 2013 08:34AM
I have used vapour baths containing acetone, ether and carbon tetrachloride, I have avoided problems by
having a water cooled coil over the container to recondense the vapours. I always used a hot plate for heating
as it was easier to control the temperature and reduced risks from spillage. Using this method it is possible
to hold a naked flame over boiling ether with no effect.
TC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login