Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The 3D printed gun

Posted by akhlut 
Re: The 3D printed gun
June 06, 2013 09:33PM
[www.ted.com]

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
June 06, 2013 09:47PM
akhlut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.ted.com]
> ople_and_the_republic_we_must_reclaim.html

I am watching that now and I must say BRAVO! He has it nailed and I honestly thought we had chance but my feelings were less and less like that with each election but when a presidential election is called based on 6 cities able to push the super electoral votes one way or another that should have sent alarm bells ringing to people but it didn't. After all that I have seen, been a part of, and have read about I just can't vote again. Apathy at its worst but when the election process is so skewed the way it is today all we will ever get are dirty politicians and what makes matters worse if you do manage to sneak a good one in they turn bad, or leave office.

Nope, we the citizens no longer matter nor count in the grand scheme of things in Lesterland.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
June 07, 2013 04:00AM
June 14, 2013 04:56PM
If you don't like guns and think they are dangerous it's simple don't own one.
If you like guns own them
If you think guns are the cause of killing, look up stats on killing in countries that have gun control.
It's simple, people are evil. Taking away their gun doesn't make them a nice person.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
June 14, 2013 07:03PM
'look up stats' You don't say anything with that winking smiley

I am willing to agree people are messed up. Maybe we should embrace our messed-upness and just make murder legal again? I don't know, just throwing it out there. I am not planning to murder, but I am a very open mind and I am open for a well-weighted debate on any subject imaginable.

You wanna know whats really weird? That suicide is considered 'murder' in some countries you get jailtime if you fail suicide as if you tried to murder someone (yourself).

Ohwell, we can endlessly debate on this subject.
Good night smiling smiley

etkoehn Wrote:
> If you don't like guns and think they are
> dangerous it's simple don't own one.
> If you like guns own them
> If you think guns are the cause of killing, look
> up stats on killing in countries that have gun
> control.
> It's simple, people are evil. Taking away their
> gun doesn't make them a nice person.
>
> “Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”
> John Wayne
June 14, 2013 08:20PM
my point being people are still killed. It doesnt take a gun to kill.
"Maybe we should embrace our messed-upness and just make murder legal again?" Well if one believes in evolution there is no right or wrong. I however believe in the Creator who said it is wrong to murder
June 15, 2013 12:11AM
etkoehn Wrote:
> my point being people are still killed. It doesnt
> take a gun to kill.
> "Maybe we should embrace our messed-upness and
> just make murder legal again?" Well if one
> believes in evolution there is no right or wrong.
> I however believe in the Creator who said it is
> wrong to murder
If you believe in evolution there is no right or wrong? That sounds like a religious fanatic speaking.

Right and wrong is based upon beliefs and laws. Laws are brought on by people to control a society and being that humans are just eff'ed up there are laws that are just wrong too.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
June 15, 2013 01:43AM
"If you believe in evolution there is no right or wrong That sounds like a religious fanatic speaking. "
Wow you figure that out. smiling bouncing smiley
But seriously what is right and what is wrong if there is no God? Why was it wrong for white man to kill off indians? Survival of the fittest right? Why was it wrong for the white man to inslave the black man?
These are rhetorical questions. Just some food for thought
June 15, 2013 05:26AM
etkoehn Wrote:
> "If you believe in evolution there is no right or
> wrong That sounds like a religious fanatic
> speaking. "
> Wow you figure that out. smiling bouncing smiley
> But seriously what is right and what is wrong if
> there is no God? Why was it wrong for white man to
> kill off indians? Survival of the fittest right?
> Why was it wrong for the white man to inslave the
> black man?
> These are rhetorical questions. Just some food for
> thought
Sort of funny that more people on this planet has been destroyed, conquered, murdered, etc... all in the name of God more than any other reason.

Food for thought.

_______
June 15, 2013 06:48AM
I believe the weapon of most killings is like the ball peen hammer or something like that in the us, maybe a regular hammer im not sure, but I think the problem is not in the us, its in other countries that have different laws.
June 15, 2013 01:35PM
aduy Wrote:
> I believe the weapon of most killings is like the
> ball peen hammer or something like that in the us,
> maybe a regular hammer im not sure, but I think
> the problem is not in the us, its in other
> countries that have different laws.

Some may be worse then others.

"Sort of funny that more people on this planet has been destroyed, conquered, murdered, etc... all in the name of God more than any other reason."
Dark alchemists you are right. Some religions embrace war and murder. Other do not but are still do e in the name of that religion. Evil people who somehow got power.
But with evolution there is no right or wrong. It was not wrong for Hitler to kill jews if evolution were true because his society said it was ok and survival of the fittest again. Ofcourse the fittest was the UK and us right. Lol
June 15, 2013 06:30PM
You are absolutely wrong because society has laws and those laws are from the people, or via some form of representation, that says it is morally wrong to murder and it has nothing to do with God or evolution as the concept of right and wrong is only something man created just like the idea of time was created by man.

Look at the Puritans of the sixteen hundreds that sought people out as witches. It was anarchy since a God fearing person (I always laugh at that term since I do not fear God nor should we fear God since the days of the old testament) could say you were doing funny stuff and you would be accused of witchery.

The Spanish inquistion is another example of people forcing their God over yours and if you did not convert it was very nasty what happened next. There are tons of other examples that were absolutely wrong but was being done in the name of God and evolution had nothing to do with that. Evolution is just a theory (just like creationism) of where we evolved. See that right there? Evolved meaning we evolved from beasts (Apes in this instance) where killing is an every day occurance but we evolved out of that mindset (some seem to have de-evolved though).

Anyway, this is evolving (see what I did there? lol) into a religion vs creationism tangent which really has nothing to do with people using anything to murder another person.

_______
June 15, 2013 06:44PM
I have to disagree, laws like the ones against murder are born out of religion.

The idea of using a religion to kill nations is very popular, in a lot of religious views it is 'justified' to kill in certain conditions.

Ohwell, humans.. We are a weird group of animal winking smiley

Dark Alchemist Wrote:
> You are absolutely wrong because society has laws
> and those laws are from the people, or via some
> form of representation, that says it is morally
> wrong to murder and it has nothing to do with God
> or evolution as the concept of right and wrong is
> only something man created just like the idea of
> time was created by man.
>
> Look at the Puritans of the sixteen hundreds that
> sought people out as witches. It was anarchy
> since a God fearing person (I always laugh at that
> term since I do not fear God nor should we fear
> God since the days of the old testament) could say
> you were doing funny stuff and you would be
> accused of witchery.
>
> The Spanish inquistion is another example of
> people forcing their God over yours and if you did
> not convert it was very nasty what happened next.
> There are tons of other examples that were
> absolutely wrong but was being done in the name of
> God and evolution had nothing to do with that.
> Evolution is just a theory (just like creationism)
> of where we evolved. See that right there?
> Evolved meaning we evolved from beasts (Apes in
> this instance) where killing is an every day
> occurance but we evolved out of that mindset (some
> seem to have de-evolved though).
>
> Anyway, this is evolving (see what I did there?
> lol) into a religion vs creationism tangent which
> really has nothing to do with people using
> anything to murder another person.
June 15, 2013 09:30PM
I'm not sure if your understand what I mean.
man can and does call things good and and evil based on his perception does not make it good or evil.
Is what the puritians wrong?? Why?
What Hitler did was it wrong? Why?
Who are you to tell them they are wrong. Based on what another man's opinion?
June 16, 2013 10:33AM
Ohmarinus Wrote:
> I have to disagree, laws like the ones against
> murder are born out of religion.
>

Nope, if your family was murdered and all of them, including you, are Atheists they would want a law to stop murder. If a neighborhood was wiped out by a murderer even the non religious would be in contact with their representatives to have a law put forth to stop murder. Knowing humans they would first go out and murder the murderer then ask for a law against murder and among that mob would be Atheists, Agnostic, and religious alike.

_______
June 16, 2013 12:33PM
I think this thread is mainly turning into a political debate - the kind that could take place on any forum - whereas I think the talents and interests of most people on this forum would lean more towards the technical side of the discussion (ie. design and process considerations on making parts via 3D printing techniques)

At any rate, I would think that the open-sourcing of firearms fabrication through digital 3D printing would allow the flourishment of a wide variety of technical designs and tinkering. Maybe somebody might come up with a safer firearm in the process - ie. one less likely to misfire, seize up, etc.

What would be the ideal materials to additively fabricate a firearm from, to produce something with the best operating characteristics?
VDX
June 16, 2013 03:05PM
sanman Wrote:
----------------------------------------------------------------
> ...
> What would be the ideal materials to additively
> fabricate a firearm from, to produce something
> with the best operating characteristics?

... ceramics ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 16, 2013 03:48PM
Reprap? Whats that? Lets get back to the real topic. 3D printers. Just a thought.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
June 16, 2013 03:51PM
REPRAP SQUAD Wrote:
> Reprap? Whats that?

Haha, you made a funny...I think?

_______
June 16, 2013 03:55PM
How would ceramics hold up to pressure? If you notice about Cody Wilson's liberator the barrel is real short. And that's even with rounds that do not have a lot of pressure. I heard a story of a kid who would grab .22 shells with a pliers and and wack it with a hammer. It worked until one the casing slid backward and hit him. Lol stupid kid. Ive also seen people through .22 shells into a camp fire with real big danger. Once they get a plastic toy that can shoot magnum rounds there really is nothing to worry about.
June 16, 2013 10:16PM
VDX Wrote:
> sanman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> --------------
> > ...
> > What would be the ideal materials to additively
> > fabricate a firearm from, to produce something
> > with the best operating characteristics?
>
> ... ceramics ...

Is brittleness an issue with ceramics? Any possible fiber-loading remedy for that?

Additionally, there are thermoplastics which have high heat-tolerance capabilities. Nylon-6,6 for example, or PET loaded with carbon black.
June 16, 2013 10:30PM
What I do not get is why people are so worried about this as opposed to the zip gun that has been around for ages? Is it because one is a single or double shot vs a clip? If that is the case then people are truly beyond stupid as a zip gun is basically a pipe with a rubber band on a sliding mechanism that smacks up against a firing pin. The ammo could be a bullet or a shotgun shell and let me tell you I would rather a bullet try to hit me than a shotgun shell at 7m.

_______
June 17, 2013 01:13AM
"then people are truly beyond stupid"
I agree
VDX
June 17, 2013 01:47AM
... there are some sorts of polymer-blended ceramics, that are used for knifes and 'elastic ceramic parts' - nearly as hot resistant as ceramics, much stronger than metal but merely elastic.

There are some developments too, where ceramic flakes, grown/embeded into other materials, creates a composite, that is even stronger than the pure ceramic but take advantage of the matrix material too winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 17, 2013 05:51PM
PEEK is supposed to have a high melt point:

[www.boedeker.com]

[en.wikipedia.org]

I've seen people on this forum discussing it. Are there any 3D printing processes capable of handling this material?

What is the required temperature spec for this kind of application anyway?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2013 05:51PM by sanman.
June 17, 2013 06:47PM
The whole media that hijacked the 3D-printed gun story kind of tells us how dumb we all are winking smiley

One of the reasons why I don't watch any news on the TV. Just series from DVD's etcetera. Only watch pre-recorded things. For news I have the newspapers, and even they are biased and filtering the news..

Btw, printed a knife yesterday, haha, complete failure. But with these metal-printers coming up.. If they ever become available to home-printing.. Then, we should be worried winking smiley Metalprinting has 'abuse' written all over it. But, abuse has always happened. You can make guns with the stuff you buy at the local metalshop..

Don't you all get tired of your friends starting this talk about 3D-printed guns when you tell them about your hobby? I am getting tired of this yes. And it sucks, I actually get a bit pissed every next time someone starts about it again.

By the way, I bought two ceramic knives yesterday! Awesome things smiling smiley They have metal-particles mixed inside them so they set off metal detectors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2013 06:49PM by Ohmarinus.
June 19, 2013 03:24AM
If PEEK can be bought in powder form it would be an interesting material to test with a laser sintering setup... it has a nice property set.

3D Metal Printing and more - visit [www.metalbot.org] !
June 19, 2013 07:35PM
Is there no way to do PEEK via a filament or even a granular extruder?

What about Celazole or Duratron? (PBI)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2013 08:06PM by sanman.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.