Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Trimmer line thread

Posted by nechaus 
The Trimmer line thread
September 05, 2013 04:42AM
Hey guys i wanted to create this thread as a place to report results of using trimmer line

So far i have tested the following.

[www.amazon.com]
Red color, i use it on a 3mm extruder setup...
Extrudes well, works in the 240-260- range and i have not tested higher, I believe it may work even better at 300c but i have not yet tested it,

Prints look goods, even better when dried. tried on bowden setup running upto 60mm's on infil and 30mm's on shell,
Problems, can de-laminate, ooze, warping,, some prints are ridiculously strong, some just de-laminate easily

Its comparable to taulman 618 that i have.
Best nylon i have tested so far is from bilbycnc.com they have low temp nylon,
Re: The Trimmer line thread
September 05, 2013 09:05PM
Hey, just adding my info.... i am using printrbot simple... not sure what max temp the thermistor can handle but it will not print at or above 250. I set my max temp to 247 and it works nice... 240 for first couple layers and it allows object to peal off of bed very nice. Asd for bed, i have no heated bed yet, using standard tan masking tape instead of blue stuff and a slight brushing of super glue to help first layer stick. It works really well.... not much warping depending on how big first layer is. Final nylon product is very strong, flexible, and has good bond between layers. I picked up very inexpensive trimmer string from lawn and garten center... do it best brand i think, 8 bucks for 300' of blue nylon strand .065" dia. just under 1.75mm dia but feeds well into printer. No issues after working out initial temp settings and the right surface to get first layer to stick. will have heated bed soon to experiment with but this cold version is inexpensive and simple to do. Thanks for the temp. settings to start with....240-247 seems to be my only operating range.
September 09, 2013 11:32PM
Well after much trial and error getting first layer to hold stuck just right..... had to use fabric epoxied to surface. first layer adj. low so nylon is ground into texture of cloth. i used an old pocket off of an old painters suit. sticks nice, removes without much residue. a much better surface for extruding nylon onto a cold bed.
October 06, 2013 09:22PM
I tried the red nylon trimmer line sold at "WaL-MaRt", printing at 200 C seemed good, got a lot of poping gassing and oozing , i think the best print happened at 195 on a custom cut fiberboard bed.
October 06, 2013 09:35PM
I tried 4 perimeters, But i can still split the layers, iv tried upto 260c, going to try even hier when i adjust my firmware,

What i had planned, print phone cases that will be rubbery like. when i do this, i get delimitation issues

Glad to hear you can do it on as low as 200c, Maybe i should try low temps and slower speed,

What mm;s are u using?
October 07, 2013 10:28AM
I've read somewhere that nylon interlayer adhesion improves when you decrease layer height. Nechaus, what layer height were you truing when you experienced de-lamination ?

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
October 07, 2013 10:34PM
wow thats interesting, i was doing like .3 with a .5mm nozzle, ill try .1mm layer height next
October 08, 2013 12:30AM
pretty much any interlayer adhsion increase as you decrease the layer height, imagine the plastic coming out of the nozzle like a straw, the more you squish the straw the wider it becomes. obviously the straw will only get so wide though so, also this means when you have a taller layer height you get a finer output as far as x and y, because the straw is less squished out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login