Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Experimental "Vibration Limit" in Repetier

Posted by Mickman 
Experimental "Vibration Limit" in Repetier
September 28, 2013 02:52PM
There's an experimental setting in Repetier called " Vibration Limit " It's an experimental setting.

So I'm just wondering what the min. - max. value might be ?

eg. 20hz 100hz ? 0.1 hz ?
Re: Experimental "Vibration Limit" in Repetier
September 29, 2013 03:21AM
It is not in repetier but in SLic3r the slicer. At least I should know if I had it somewhere programmed:-)

I think it has to do with the resonance frequency where the move turn frequency gets increased by the printer. This depends on the stiffness of the printer. The more stiff your printer, the higher the frequency is. So normally it is only a problem for short infills, where you can get frequencies > 20Hz. So as long as you see no increased printer vibration, leave it off. If you see it, guess your direction turn frequency when it happened and try this value. But remember 2 turns = 1Hz! Computing the value on our own is beyond the scope of most users. You need to compute eigenvalues of some matrices computed in FE systems describing your printer, so don't think about it.

What I think this does is, that it changes the speed to miss that special frequency by some factor.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
September 29, 2013 03:55AM
I set it to 0.1hz one time, basically it lets it make moves only once every 10 seconds that require a change in direction. This would only be useful if you were having some sort of resonant frequency problem(tesla stuff) and your machine was shaking itself apart. Acceleration and jerk should really be used to limit any sort of shaking, basically when you have acceleration on, the shorter runs take up more time.

As far as I know, no one has really made a good calibration for jerk acceleration and max speed settings for generic use, it would be nice if someone did though.
September 29, 2013 05:53AM
You're right, @aduy. Acceleration and Jerk are the settings which should be adjusted. This would not only avoid shaking up the printer, but also allow moving around corners accurately.

This is RepRap at it's best. First, ignore physics ("look, I have 8000 mm/s2 acceleration"), then introduce some band-aid to countermeasure the consequences.

Sorry, can't keep my mouth shut. smiling smiley

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

September 29, 2013 06:47AM
Basic physics says that acceleration determines the amplitude of driving force and, if you want amplitude of oscillations to remain constant, it should be inversionally proportional to system frequency response. Constraining acceleration to constant value throughout whole frequency range results in inefficiency - it will be unnecessary low for frequencies far away from resonance. I don't say that implementation in slic3r is right, or that frequency response of printer is not flat enough so it can be neglected, but this idea doesn't deserve to be despised.
September 29, 2013 07:38AM
we have a ways to go to form standards for measuring machine performance. people are advertising machines that can reach 350mm/s and looking at time lapse of the video it is 1/10th of that. then people complain about positioning being off on long travels and wonder why. then there is the limits of the firmware processing for how fast it can process to produce feedrate. for example i saw a rosteck video that the user stated was over 350mm/s. video looks like my old makerbot doing 35mm/s without acceleration. granted the travel looked like it was a lot faster I would guess 80-100mm/s
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login