Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Am I on the right track?

Posted by MeMadMax 
Am I on the right track?
October 20, 2013 08:44PM
Hello all.
I still haven't finished piecing together my first printer yet but I wanted to run by what I'm thinking of getting so that I can hear from you guys on whether I'm on the right track or not.

My goal is best accuracy possible with the absolute minimum amount of plastic string mess on the finished product with intricate designs.

I have settled on the Mendel I3 with Box frame, Wade extruder, J-Head, Mk3 Heatbed, Gen7 electronics(already bought and nearly finished assembled), DRV8825 stepper driver, ROB-10846 motors(400 step) from sparkfun.

So, am I on the right path to a machine that can make accurate designs?

My biggest concern is the J-Head, I have seen videos of it in action and it's leaving strings behind as it moves, is this the operator not having it tuned or something?

Also, if J-Head is the way to go, would going with the smallest nozzle get me better results?

Thanks for your time, and have a great day!

Max.
Re: Am I on the right track?
October 27, 2013 12:58PM
The Jhead is definitely a good way to go, just make sure you have enough retraction set in the g-code and you shouldn't have a problem with strings (make sure you get decent filament too, I've had filament that has left me with parts that looked like spiders had made the parts their home no matter how much I retracted), and for print accuracy a smaller nozzle is always better. smiling smiley

Through self sustaining actions comes freedom

DIY Tech Shop
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login