Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dedicated 3D Printer comp/laptop?

Posted by BlaiddDrwg 
Dedicated 3D Printer comp/laptop?
December 27, 2013 11:58AM
Hi all! I'm thinking about getting an inexpensive laptop for 3D printing projects, I wanted to know what others suggested. I'm still in the early stages of collecting materials to build my printer, but I want to be prepared. Are PC's better for programming etc? If so, is there one brand that's better than another or specs I should be keeping an eye on when making a decision? Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, wasn't sure where to ask.

Thanks!!!
Re: Dedicated 3D Printer comp/laptop?
December 27, 2013 12:13PM
Unless you're planning to run your printer using LinuxCNC (in which case you need a laptop with a parallel port), running a 3D printer is not very demanding. The slicing software will require the most substantial computational resources -- but my desktop is running a 4-year old i3 processor and is able to generate g-code pretty quickly.
December 27, 2013 02:39PM
Thanks! I really just want something I can use instead of my work laptop (Mac). I wanna keep things separate
December 27, 2013 06:18PM
I run 8 years old IBM thinkpad with centrino processor and it has no problem generating gcodes. It takes less than half a minute to generate gcode in Cura or Kisslicer and more than half an our on Skeinforge for the same STL. So it is more a matter of gcode generator you are using than a computer. Sure it should be faster on newer laptop using Skeinforge if it is your thing.
I run old Asus EEE netbook connected to printer for a printing. Also no problem. So I would suggest get something small light and low on power usage.
December 28, 2013 07:07AM
I bought a HP 650 notebook that is 64 bit and also runs 32 bit programs. It cost less than $500 brand new and I have been able to do everything needed to design, and run the 3D printers. Mine has Windows 7 installed.
I connected a USB 2 hub to it and have been able to run five 3D printers at once using this notebook at the same time, not problems whatever.
I only use this notebook for 3D work and it has been fantastic.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
December 28, 2013 09:05PM
Thanks!!!
December 29, 2013 06:23PM
My mom just gave me her semi-super old Toshiba laptop. Barely used, but very out of date. I'm going to see if it'll work for my 3D printing purposes.
December 29, 2013 10:47PM
i opted for sd cards, its been working well for my, i just hook up the usb when i need fo changed things or need a little more control.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2013 10:48PM by dissidence.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
February 11, 2014 08:01AM
I'm so disappointed, the Toshiba my mom gave me is too old to even be compatible with the updates needed to get Slic3r or other slicing software to run. My Mac doesn't seem to like Slic3r anymore so I think I'll be investing in a really cheap PC.
February 11, 2014 09:49AM
In order to reuse an old computer, you might want to ugrade your OS to a lightweight linux distro.

You'll have a faster working environment AND something up-to-date as needed by some software.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
A2
February 11, 2014 10:14AM
I operated an old laptop for a couple of years off of a thumb drive with Linux , worked great, and was faster than windows OS.
Search Google for instructions.
February 11, 2014 11:26AM
The Toshiba I have is from like 2002. 32 bit, Windows XP. If I can run things from a thumb drive, that would be great. I know nothing about Linux though
February 11, 2014 11:49AM
if you have more than one machine or put it away often then setting it up for bluetooth will solve wiring up issues.

even a net-book should process gcode reasonably well for home use. cura solves most stl files to gcode in under a minute in my single core atom netbook.
February 11, 2014 04:33PM
BlaiddDrwg
I'm so disappointed, the Toshiba my mom gave me is too old to even be compatible with the updates needed to get Slic3r or other slicing software to run. My Mac doesn't seem to like Slic3r anymore so I think I'll be investing in a really cheap PC.

A really good and also cheap notebook that is 32 and also 64 bit is the HP 650. In Australia it is under $500.
I have been able to run at least 5 copies of Pronterface at the same time to drive five 3D printers at once, it never has let me down.
Comes with Windows 7 (in my case) I think they have Windows 8 installed now. Best buy I even made in computers.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
February 11, 2014 09:02PM
You can look into getting a Raspberry Pi with a LCD screen. Would cost less than $100 (even with shipping). There are tutorials online to help you set it up. You can start here [forums.reprap.org].
February 12, 2014 07:23AM
I would recommend an old T60 or T61 IBM/Lenovo Notebook.
It costs less than 150$ and there are so many cheap accessories available on the web.
These series is very rugged and I use three of these for my hobby amateur radio at home, in the car and
also during mobile contests.
I will use it also for my new 3D printer which is in the pipeline now...
February 12, 2014 08:51AM
BlaiddDrwg
The Toshiba I have is from like 2002. 32 bit, Windows XP. If I can run things from a thumb drive, that would be great. I know nothing about Linux though

I can still run the latest pre-compiled binaries for Slic3r and Pronterface (Printrun) on Windows XP.
February 12, 2014 11:37AM
I run a old netbook (ASUS EEEPC) to control my prusa i3. Some of the awesome reasons why I do that:
- Save the cost of additional boards
- Much quicker and easier control (able to type commands and click to manual move)
- Webcam allows me to monitor the progress from my desk
- Teamviewer allows me to remote access

2 main problems that I've encountered:
- vibration of machine might affect the USB connection (I've since unmounted the boards from the wing flaps of the prusa i3 frame)
- electronic interference from the turning on and off of other devices (I've ordered a USB cable with ferrite choke but have yet to test it out)
February 12, 2014 05:47PM
I am running my 3D printer via a Panasonic Toughbook that I bought originally to run diagnostics for my car. The laptop is virtually indestructable. Weighs a ton. It runs 32 bit Windows XP at 1.3 GHz ! and is absolutely fine for the job. It does not like me surfing the web or doing other jobs at the same time but if just doing printing it is OK. I am not recommending you buy one as they go for a premium because garages want them.

I have built many PCs over the years. If you want a really, really cheap dedicated PC for less than $50, the best value I think is a Dell SX270. I have got 2 at the moment. I am using one as a car PC. Very compact and well made except they have a bad reputation because a lot have faulty capacitors on the motherboard. It is easy to replace them in 10 minutes with a soldering iron.
February 12, 2014 08:15PM
I wouldn't print directly from a PC at all. Use an SD card. It's much more reliable. If you insist on running from a PC then you can use almost any PC as sending G-Code isn't demanding. Generating G-code can be, though.
Anonymous User
February 12, 2014 08:23PM
Fun fact; Many older PC's out perform the newer ones with linuxcnc's latency test. linuxcnc.org That means the 1998 POS you've got in your garage might still be good for something.
February 15, 2014 02:30PM
I had this same question about a month ago. Getting a brand new, high-end computer is really not necessary. You could probably get by on something really inexpensive (~$200 or less).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login