Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

reprap 3d scanner

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
reprap 3d scanner
December 28, 2013 10:07PM
There's no open source 3d scanners out there. It's a shame. Seems like something that should go hand in hand with the reprap project. How do we get this off the ground? Bounty?
Re: reprap 3d scanner
December 28, 2013 10:43PM
I will throw down on the bounty. What are the required specifications?

resolution?
speed?
volume?
cost?
Anonymous User
December 28, 2013 10:54PM
Well, I'd say 200mmx200mmx140mm volume, to match the volume of repraps. Speed, not very important. Resolution, comparable to price. Price, <$1000.
December 28, 2013 11:00PM
I am all for more bounties! smiling smiley But is there really nothing out there? I typed "open source 3D scanner" into a famous internet search engine and it came back with several hits, including Maker Scanner and FabScan.
December 28, 2013 11:16PM
Good call MattMoses. Additionally, IMO software for scanning directly with a camera phone is not far off. I would be surprised if there wasn't already some open source projects out there.

Maybe what we need is to do is catalog (wiki entry? Maybe already there) what is available to make our next move better informed. (When I say "we" I probably mean 1 motivated individual and when I say "our next move" I probably mean another motivated person.)
Anonymous User
December 28, 2013 11:24PM
The fabscan is great. Don't know why it's not commercially available. There's people spending thousands of dollars on 3d scanners. If it can be done for say $500, why doesn't it blow everything else out of the water?
December 28, 2013 11:34PM
Well, the wiki has this page: Scanning. (Side Note: the wiki also has this one which I thought was pretty cool: ScannerStrap - but it's not what I thought it was. It's about building a Repstrap using the mechanics from a flatbed scanner. I've got an old scanner I found on the side of the road that I was planning to do this with... Great minds and all that, yada yada winking smiley )

Anyway, the Scanning page briefly mentions Coordinate Measuring Machines (CMMs). After a brief search I couldn't find any open source CMMs. That might be a cool project. I can imagine there might be instances when a CMM would be more desirable than a 3D scanner: better accuracy, ability to select certain features for high fidelity representation (holes, critical surfaces, etc). A combined CMM/3DScanner might be pretty interesting too...
Anonymous User
December 28, 2013 11:46PM
OK, a probe attachment to an existing reprap perhaps. I now there was a plugin to Mach3 at one point. Maybe an open source version of the touch probe. Could be a very simple device that can be 3d printed with a magnetic base.

The hardware is always the easy part, but where is there open source software for 3d touch probing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2013 11:47PM by ohioplastics.
December 29, 2013 12:55AM
I would like to see a 3d scanner that just uses a laser line or two along with a camera that can be mounted onto the print head. maybe even add a servo to rotate the camera so it could get all angles. it would just need to be able to send gcodes to the printer and and recieve input from the webcam.
A2
December 29, 2013 01:11AM
Phones with 3d cameras built in are good for scanners, we just need some software.
[forums.reprap.org]
December 29, 2013 01:25AM
There are 3D scanner forums dedicated to DIY scanners where you can find more info.

DIY3Dscan and DAVID-Laserscanner Forum

I'm sorta following the Rubicon 3D scanner
you can find it on kickstarters too, but there is nearly daily updates on indiegogo
December 29, 2013 01:31AM
ohioplastics
where is there open source software for 3d touch probing?

I don't know of any... someone would have to write it. There are some interesting possibilities. Someone could write an interface for OpenSCAD or FreeCAD, so you could do things like define an ideal geometrical surface (plane, cylinder, sphere, spline, etc) by picking up a few points from a part using the CMM.

aduy
I would like to see a 3d scanner that just uses a laser line or two along with a camera that can be mounted onto the print head.

Sounds bounty-worthy to me! smiling smiley May I take this opportunity to remind people that you can open a RepRap-related bounty with nothing more than a GitHub account by going to this link: RepRap Project Tracker (prototype). There are instructions here.
Anonymous User
December 29, 2013 01:34AM
The rubicon would be great if they were open source.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login