Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

One Motor+Belt on Z-axis

Posted by jpan 
One Motor+Belt on Z-axis
January 13, 2014 08:27PM
Hi guys,

I saw a design like this. As a noob I'm not really sure how it works. Note that there's only ONE z motor. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I guess the guy pressed the belt pulley really tight with the nuts (and maybe even with threadlocker?) to try to keep it fixed.(maybe not)

Can anyone tell me if it's worthy to do so? Is it reliable at all?

Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 08:47PM by jpan.
Re: One Motor+Belt on Z-axis
January 15, 2014 04:34AM
It works good! Need for controllers with 4 drivers - sanguinololu.
i made belt system for my prusa i3 and works fine ! =)
[www.thingiverse.com]
January 15, 2014 12:19PM
systems like this have been used way back to the Darwin days. I had a Rapman that used one motor for the Z and ran a belt to each corner.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
January 15, 2014 04:48PM
Did I guess the right way? Using friction to motivate does seems too reliable to me....
January 15, 2014 04:51PM
I built one that uses a single motor for the Z but I would suggest you need a very stiff guide rail system for Z and stiff frame not just one single ride per side preferably something supported all the way
January 15, 2014 08:13PM
You are a pro! I love your machine!thumbs up Absolutely a professional one.

But I don't get how did you handle you belts. Did you use two pulleys on the motor shaft?

My guess is like this:

(Took me 5 mins to graph....phew....)
January 16, 2014 01:32PM
Thank you I have just one pulley on the motor and one for each of the screws. So the belt is on a triangular path the pully on one of Z ballscrews has to have a nice easily adjustable pulley mine I made is a split collar design so you can adjust the two screws. The reason I did it in a triangular belt path was so you can move the motor to tighten the belt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 01:37PM by cnc dick.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login