Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Octoprint - data usage

Posted by phyllis_ave 
Octoprint - data usage
January 23, 2014 07:52PM
I'm using OctoPrint to control my Prusa i3 throught a Raspberry Pi and everything is working fine except that it seems to be sending heaps of data over the network.

I logged on with my iPhone for about 10 minutes and it used over 600Mb. Is this usual behaviour? Is there anyway to reduce this?

I did have the stream from the webcam up for about 1 minute but even just the main screen showing the temperature graph seems to be using 20-30Mb per minute.
Re: Octoprint - data usage
January 23, 2014 08:06PM
If that would be over the air from anything other than my home network, my phone data-limit would already be up. Would be more logical if the gcode would be generated on your phone and then simply uploaded to an internal SD-card on your printer.
January 23, 2014 08:50PM
I actually started the print, loaded files, etc from my home network. All I did on my phone was check to make sure everything was running okay.
January 25, 2014 07:16PM
Any ideas on how to reduce the amount of data streamed?
If anyone else is using Octoprint to monitor prints remotely have you checked how much data is being sent? I'd like to know if its normal to use so much or if I've just set it up wrong.
January 25, 2014 07:43PM
Maybe it sends 'all' data? In Repetier I can print and then I can choose to only see layer count for example. I can imagine something like that would be a nice feature for Octoprint, that you could choose the simplest of ways. Either watch everything, all Gcode or choose to only display layer height and time left for example. Thats something you can easily update every once in a while, or only when you want to for example.
January 26, 2014 02:33PM
Reducing the resolution and framerate of the webcam ?

Brgds
Davide Ardizzoia

==============================
no toys here...sorry
January 26, 2014 03:53PM
The only way to know what is going on is to get a program called wireshark..its free.. it will capture the network traffic and you can see what is being transfered. I will say that that is a lot of traffic for what is really a small amont of data, but it also depends on the protocol being used. I'm not sure of what protocols the RP uses or accepts. I would guess there is alot of send and reply traffic, or there is a problem and it has to keep resending the packets,before the RP will accept them.
January 26, 2014 06:24PM
Ok so it looks like it is sending the webcam stream whenever you connect to Octoprint, even if you don't have the stream showing.

If I disconnect the webcam Octoprint showing the front page (temp graph) it sends around 1kb/s.
With the webcam connected but only front page showing it sends around 500kb/s
With the webcam connected and showing stream it sends the same 500kb/s

I really want to be able to check on the stream when I need to but not use up all my data allowance if I'm just using/checking the Octoprint controls. Does anybody know how to do this? Can you somehow disable the stream in Octoprint? I can just call up the stream through MJPG-streamer if I need to.
January 26, 2014 07:01PM
@phyllis_ave

I'd say this is worth filing a bug report on github. You've figured out what is causing the problem, which is a big step. Eating up data is a serious concern for other people who want to use octoprint on mobile devices.
January 28, 2014 06:59AM
So it looks like this has been addressed on github: [github.com]

However, I've never used linux at all before this and I have no idea how to update the Octoprint install on my RPi. I tried just manually putting that code in the main.js file but that didn't change anything. Do I need to compile/activate it somehow?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login