Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer turns off mid print!!!

Posted by gmh39 
Printer turns off mid print!!!
February 15, 2014 01:58PM
So lately my Printrbot JR has been turning off mid print. I got it back in August from a guys who only used it a handful of times to write a review, so it was basically new. It has been performing like a champ up until about 2 weeks ago when it has started to have problems with completing prints.

One of the major problems is that it will turn off in the middle of the print. I'm not talking about just stopping printing, but completely turning off. Power supply and all. It is really weird and kinda worrying me. I switched out the stock Printrbot power supply for one from my old Rapman kit, still the same problem.

Right now I have not clue what is going on. I recently switched the stock hotend (Ubis) for an E3D, but I dont think that would really matter.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? Could a short circuit cause the printer to completely shut down?

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
Re: Printer turns off mid print!!!
February 16, 2014 03:55AM
Probably!
If, for example, the hot-end resistor shorted to the heater block, then I would think that would trip the power supply. And seeing as you recently changed the hot-end....

February 16, 2014 07:05AM
Hi,
If you using a computer ATX PSU, Add some load on the 5v output as some ATX shutdown if no load on the 5v.
February 26, 2014 03:46PM
waitaki
Probably!
If, for example, the hot-end resistor shorted to the heater block, then I would think that would trip the power supply. And seeing as you recently changed the hot-end....

Then I'll tear down and rebuild my E3D and see if that helps.

yasrkasem
Hi,
If you using a computer ATX PSU, Add some load on the 5v output as some ATX shutdown if no load on the 5v.

Would a simple LED be enough of a load? I assume you are talking about the red and black wires from the molex connectors, correct?

greghoge.com

February 27, 2014 08:22AM
gmh39
yasrkasem
Hi,

Would a simple LED be enough of a load? I assume you are talking about the red and black wires from the molex connectors, correct?

No...

[reprap.org]

[reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2014 08:22AM by tjb1.
February 27, 2014 08:44AM
how much current does the hot end use? are you using a cartridge, or a resistor?
February 27, 2014 09:06AM
jamesdanielv
how much current does the hot end use? are you using a cartridge, or a resistor?

Not sure on the current. I'll check when I get home. It uses a cartridge heater.

Is there a type of power supply I can use that doesnt require me to attach light bulbs to it to get it to work?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2014 09:10AM by gmh39.

greghoge.com

February 27, 2014 10:12AM
gmh39
jamesdanielv

Not sure on the current. I'll check when I get home. It uses a cartridge heater.

Is there a type of power supply I can use that doesnt require me to attach light bulbs to it to get it to work?

Switching supplies, 40w cartridge at 12v uses 3.3 amps.
February 27, 2014 10:26AM
Just found the switching supplies right after I posted that. I think I am just going to pick one of those up instead of messing around with loading the 5V rail.

greghoge.com

February 27, 2014 10:34AM
tjb1:
current used on the hot end and resistance of the hot end determines if there is a short or a defect in the heater cartridge. we all can read specs. we all know that something here is likely not working to its spec.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2014 10:35AM by jamesdanielv.
February 27, 2014 10:36AM
jamesdanielv
tjb1:
current used on the hot end and resistance of the hot end determines if there is a short or a defect in the heater cartridge. we all can read specs. we all know that something here is likely not working to its spec.

Ok? I was posting what it should be using based on ohms law...without that, what are you going to compare it to? apples? I'm not sure the OP knows how to check current...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2014 10:37AM by tjb1.
February 27, 2014 11:26AM
Nope, OP knows how to measure current. You know what happens when you assume, right?

Anyway, I'm just looking to get my printer back up and running cause I gotta get stuff printed.

greghoge.com

February 27, 2014 12:58PM
gmh39
Nope, OP knows how to measure current. You know what happens when you assume, right?

Anyway, I'm just looking to get my printer back up and running cause I gotta get stuff printed.

Cool, so measure the current draw and check continuity to the shell.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login