Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Made in Space is Malarchy

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Made in Space is Malarchy
February 17, 2014 11:52PM
I would think that any machine built for Earths gravitational pull would work just as well in zero gravitational pull, if not better. There's no reason NASA should pay hundreds of thousands of dollars more than they need to pay for technology that works in either gravity or no gravity. Gravity plays very little into a 3D printer.
Re: Made in Space is Malarchy
February 17, 2014 11:59PM
Remember, they did spend thousands of dollars creating a pen to right upside down in space instead of just using a pencil.
February 18, 2014 12:04AM
KingRahl
Remember, they did spend thousands of dollars creating a pen to right upside down in space instead of just using a pencil.

That is incorrect. Unless you mean thousands of dollars ($1200) for 400 pens, which isn't bad at all. And isn't really thousands.

[www.snopes.com]
Anonymous User
February 18, 2014 12:27AM
I'd take 4,000 pencils over 400 pens any day. What about 4,000 3d printers over 400?
February 18, 2014 12:35AM
From the Wikipedia article:

A common urban legend states that NASA spent a large amount of money to develop a pen that would write in space (the result purportedly being the Fisher Space Pen), while the Soviets just used pencils. Like most urban legends, there is a grain of truth: NASA began to develop a space pen, but when development costs skyrocketed the project was abandoned and astronauts went back to using pencils, along with the Soviets. However, the claim that NASA spent millions on the Space Pen is incorrect, as the Fisher pen was developed using private capital, not government funding. NASA – and the Soviets – eventually began purchasing such pens.

NASA programs previously used pencils but because of the substantial dangers that broken pencil tips and graphite dust pose to electronics in zero gravity, the flammable nature of wood present in pencils, and the inadequate quality documentation produced by non-permanent or smeared recordkeeping, a better solution was needed. Russian cosmonauts used pencils, and grease pencils on plastic slates until also adopting a space pen in 1969 with a purchase of 100 units for use on all future missions. NASA never approached Paul Fisher to develop a pen, nor did Fisher receive any government funding for the pen's development. Fisher invented it independently and then, in 1965, asked NASA to try it. After extensive testing, NASA decided to use the pens in future Apollo missions. Subsequently, in 1967 it was reported that NASA purchased approximately 400 pens for $2.95 a piece.
February 18, 2014 12:44AM
ohioplastics
I would think that any machine built for Earths gravitational pull would work just as well in zero gravitational pull, if not better.
How can you be sure of this without actually testing it? If you were an astronaut and some vendor told you that their machine didn't need to be tested because they "think the machine will work just as well in space, if not better, than it does on Earth" would that be acceptable to you? smiling smiley

Even if the 3D printer works fine in zero grav (and I agree with you that they should - there are several cool videos on youtube of people turning their printers upside down while they're printing) there are a ton of other requirements that a piece of spaceflight hardware has to meet. It has to pass shake tests, bake tests, EMI tests, they have to be sure it won't break the spaceship or set things on fire if it fails, etc etc. It costs big money even to get something simple certified for spaceflight.
Anonymous User
February 18, 2014 12:51AM
In order to justify the expensive cost of there product, they will go through extensive tests and certifications, that is true. But I would say, that most name brand 3D printers would work just as well on a space station. There is no special sauce.
February 18, 2014 01:09AM
I agree that most name brand 3D printers should work fine once they are safely aboard the space station.

But I doubt that any off-the-shelf unit could survive the rocket ride without falling to pieces. My guess is that most of the development cost probably goes into two things: 1) hardening the device for space travel, 2) making absolutely totally certain that the device is fail-safe and will not interfere with the rest of the space station. Well, three things: 3) and writing down all the documentation for the NASA bureaucrats.
February 18, 2014 07:40AM
Think about it this way: Down here on earth, when something goes wrong, you can easily just extinguish the fire or bail out if things so extremely awry. On the ISS, this isn't that easy. So they have to be absolutely certain that equipment they bring up won't cause catastrophes. They also have to make sure that the device doesn't need permanent maintenance and replacement parts as shooting stuff into orbit is extremely expensive.
And a less well known fact: Smell tests! (I would have posted the excellent video if I found it) Imagine being trapped in a series of tubes zipping through space with no way to vent out those nasty ABS fumes ever!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2014 07:41AM by uGen.
February 18, 2014 09:53AM
Yea it's something like $50,000 /kg just to get stuff up into space. That's probably why it is so expensive... that and the whole safety thing.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
February 18, 2014 10:14AM
ohioplastics
I'd take 4,000 pencils over 400 pens any day.
I'd take just 1 of something that doesn't have the unnecessary potential risk of shorting out some life saving component due to some graphite dust that floated into the electronics.
February 18, 2014 12:55PM
MattMoses
From the Wikipedia article:

A common urban legend states that NASA spent a large amount of money to develop a pen that would write in space (the result purportedly being the Fisher Space Pen), while the Soviets just used pencils. Like most urban legends, there is a grain of truth: NASA began to develop a space pen, but when development costs skyrocketed the project was abandoned and astronauts went back to using pencils, along with the Soviets. However, the claim that NASA spent millions on the Space Pen is incorrect, as the Fisher pen was developed using private capital, not government funding. NASA – and the Soviets – eventually began purchasing such pens.

NASA programs previously used pencils but because of the substantial dangers that broken pencil tips and graphite dust pose to electronics in zero gravity, the flammable nature of wood present in pencils, and the inadequate quality documentation produced by non-permanent or smeared recordkeeping, a better solution was needed. Russian cosmonauts used pencils, and grease pencils on plastic slates until also adopting a space pen in 1969 with a purchase of 100 units for use on all future missions. NASA never approached Paul Fisher to develop a pen, nor did Fisher receive any government funding for the pen's development. Fisher invented it independently and then, in 1965, asked NASA to try it. After extensive testing, NASA decided to use the pens in future Apollo missions. Subsequently, in 1967 it was reported that NASA purchased approximately 400 pens for $2.95 a piece.

whats interesting about this is the more recent theories and ideas that have surfaced as a result, things like the tiny particles of spit that float around in the air after an astronaut had sneezed that would normally sink to the ground can potentially make some viruses and bugs a little bit easier to spread,

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

Anonymous User
February 18, 2014 06:06PM
There also crapping in plastic bags and exposed to tons of radiation. That can't be too healthy.
February 18, 2014 06:21PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login