Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie question about ducted fans

Posted by m3gtr 
Newbie question about ducted fans
January 27, 2015 10:33AM
Hey everyone... just started 3D printing a couple of days ago after getting hold of a Prusa i3 Mendel and it is great. I've managed about a 60% hit rate so far on things I've printed from Thingiverse and they are 'ok' to use.

Question though. The guy I bought it off fitted a printed ducted fan that points at the print and I wanted to understand what this achieves, since it also has a heated bed. I've had a few prints lift off the bed and from what I've read so far, this is due (at least in part) to the diference in temperatures making it distort.

So....if there's a heated bed, why cool the top surface with a fan? Surely that makes the difference worse? Isn't the heated bed also fighting against the cooling air flow produced by the fan?
Re: Newbie question about ducted fans
January 27, 2015 11:03AM
The fand duct on the part is meant to cool down the fused filament as soon as it lives the nozzle (short explaination). It helps PLA prints to stay in good shape, because PLA can loose it's shape if it stays too long between its fuse temperature and its glass temperature (basiclaly 90-190°C). Other application for all kind of plastics, is when you want to make bridges. If you cool the fused filament quicky, it allows you to print in straight line between to high point of your part without any support. It's called bridge. For ABS i turn the fan off all the time.

Now, you're experiencing wraping. PLA wraps not often and not much, but ABS can wrap a lot, especialy pure ABS filaments. If the top layers retract more than the early layers, it makes some wrap. Wrapping happens more often with long parts, so the shape of the part is important. Sometimes you'd rather flip a part on its side to prevent wrapping.

There's a lot of things to do to avoid wrapping. First, adherence of the first layer is crucial. So you want to have a prepared printing surface to help first layer bounding. Use Painter tape, hairspray, a buildtak plate, whatever, but don't print directly on glass, or a dirty surface.

You can use a Brim (it's a printing option of your slicing program). It creates a brim around your part's first layer. The more surface, the more bound. Easy. If it's not enough, you can use a raft (another option). That creates a raft between the buildplate and the part. You loose some filament, but it can reduces wrapping to zero. Attention, with some filaments the raft may stick too much to the part, you need to adjust the parameters. Keep in mind print quality of the side laying on the raft is not as clean as if you print on your buildplate.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 01:11PM by Zavashier.

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
January 27, 2015 11:21AM
Let's not assume print material, are you in fact printing with PLA or ABS? For ABS I would suggest to not use the ducted fan smiling smiley

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
January 27, 2015 01:13PM
It looks like a part of my message was cutted. Anyway Marinus awnsered the missing important points. Thanks (I edited my message).

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
January 27, 2015 05:27PM
I have to disagree with no fan when printing ABS. I found that I need a fan when printing very small curvy objects. I have tested this with a 30 mm human figure and without a fan the results were really bad. Bigger parts don't need usually fan.

Prusa i3, Ramps 1.4. Catnozzle 0.4mm
SketchUp - Enveloping Globoid Worm Gear - Part One - 3D Printed: [youtu.be]
DesignSpark Mechanical & more precise screw thread: [youtu.be]
Nicer Screw Thread In SketchUp ( Bolts,Nuts): [youtu.be]
How To Model A Heart Shape In SketchUp: [youtu.be]
How To Draw 3D Printable Snap Fit Ball Joint In SketchUp: [youtu.be]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login