Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Controlling 2 fans with ramps 1.4 marlin ans motherboard 35

Posted by victorjung 
Controlling 2 fans with ramps 1.4 marlin ans motherboard 35
February 04, 2015 06:13AM
Hi, reprapers,
I Have 2 fans one for cooling down the hotend, and one to cool down the print whent printing overhang.
I configured marlin to set my ramps 1.4 as motherboard 35 which should allowed to control 2 fans.
One is plugged in d10, the other is plugged in d9, but when using M106 S255 command only the one plugged in d09 starts...
I guess there is a specific command for the one in d10 but with one???
Thanks for the help guys,
Victor
Re: Controlling 2 fans with ramps 1.4 marlin ans motherboard 35
February 04, 2015 07:19AM
A hotend fan could just be connected to 12v (as you want it on all the time you're printing), but if you want to control it try M42
February 04, 2015 08:39AM
Yeah, but i would like to shutdown the hot end fan at the end of the print...even if the 12 is still on.I tried M42 which seems a nice option for me, but it doesnt do anything, the pin 10 i am trying to control stay at zero withs M42 P10 S255
Any ideas why?
thanks for your help anyway winking smiley
February 04, 2015 08:03PM
I don't have Marlin available to check right now, but isn't motherboard 35 an extruder and 2 fans, so I assume it expects pin 10 to be the Extruder the same as motherboard 33, with fans on 8 & 9.
February 05, 2015 03:14AM
mother board 35 is extruder plus 2 fans, but the extruder is on pin 8, and 9 & 10 are for fans.
February 05, 2015 08:04AM
victorjung
Yeah, but i would like to shutdown the hot end fan at the end of the print...even if the 12 is still on.I tried M42 which seems a nice option for me, but it doesnt do anything, the pin 10 i am trying to control stay at zero withs M42 P10 S255
Any ideas why?
thanks for your help anyway winking smiley

Don't do that. The hot end will still be hot and you don't want the heat to travel up the hot end. There's a slight risk the extra heat could damage a printed part further up, but the biggest risk is the heat will breach the heat break. If you're using PLA that will cause blockages.
February 05, 2015 01:11PM
This feature is built into Marlin already. You just need to set the extruder fan pin number, threshold temperature and PWM value (0-255). This way you don't have any GCODE modifications to turn on this fan. Uklan is correct, you don't want to shut off the fan immediately after a print stops. This feature allows your hot end to properly cool before turning off the fan to avoid heat creep.

See Configuration_adv.h. The example below will turn on the fan attached to Pin 9 (100%) when the hot end temperature is above 50C.

// Extruder cooling fans
// Configure fan pin outputs to automatically turn on/off when the associated
// extruder temperature is above/below EXTRUDER_AUTO_FAN_TEMPERATURE.
// Multiple extruders can be assigned to the same pin in which case
// the fan will turn on when any selected extruder is above the threshold.
#define EXTRUDER_0_AUTO_FAN_PIN 9
#define EXTRUDER_1_AUTO_FAN_PIN -1
#define EXTRUDER_2_AUTO_FAN_PIN -1
#define EXTRUDER_3_AUTO_FAN_PIN -1
#define EXTRUDER_AUTO_FAN_TEMPERATURE 50
#define EXTRUDER_AUTO_FAN_SPEED   255  // == full speed
February 12, 2015 03:49AM
That's even more perfect! thank you so much salsabettis!
October 11, 2015 09:03AM
Hi, thanks Salsabettis I found this extremely helpful.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login