Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Building a 12x12x12 + reprap, need a push in the right direction.

Posted by J.A.C. 
Building a 12x12x12 + reprap, need a push in the right direction.
March 17, 2015 11:42AM
Hello everyone, my name is Jonathan Adam Connolly (or just Jac for short), I am 37. I have experience in mechanics and working/building things (I have rebuilt a few classic cars) and making 3D models . And like many, I have been looking to get my own 3D printer.

First, I will explain what use I have for it, this may help for the ones that own/built 3D printers to tell me what directions I have or should take.

I make costumes and props for fun, but I do a lot of them. I work sculpting, molding, fiberglass, epoxy, paint airbrush, if it will get you dirty and requires a filter-mask, I do/did it. Lately I have been doing Starwars costumes and such. But, I have now have two baby's at home, I can't pass all my time in the garage working chemicals, sanding fiberglass and what not. But I still want to keep making costumes.

3D printing will do just that, having a printer inside my home, and i'll be there for the kids (without having to take a shower) and still get to work on my pass time.

But making armor parts can be large, and as I look at the printers, rare are the ones that go over 8 inch ( 200mm ) and after looking at all the things I like to do, 12 inch or more sounds perfect.

Like many people, I am on a budget, if I am going to built my own, I would like to keep it under 500$. If I am getting a kit, I am willing to go up to 1000$ (but it be better a trouble free. if I am just building a kit i want it to be less trouble then building my own, if I am making my own, I expect trouble! =D)

I know what you will say, get a Makersfarm 12 inch... but ...

Here is what I am looking to get from my 3D machine:

-Good print size
-Durable and steady
-Speed is not a factor (it can take 48 hours to print something for all I care)
-Quality print would be nice, but I am use to sand and modify/fix things. and this is still less work then molding/fiberglass

(ps: I plan on making a sound proff box for the machine)

so let's get into what I know with machines:

Makersfarm Prusa 12" i3v Kit (V-Slot Extrusion): I live in Quebec, humidity is part of my daily life. the frame is in wood, wood flex over time. The platform is larger, yes, but still two rods (like the 8 inch) to hold the moving plate, and I want to print large things. I am wondering how long it will take before I have to change parts. I am not a fan of how everything holds. I do love the V slot, the customer service and many web instructions. The total price, with shipping and filament: 900$ ish

Acrylic Geeetech I3 pro B 3D Printer kit: Now, the price was what got my attention, but it is new ish on the market, It looks as if the parts are all from china. acrylic framing leaves me unsure. The instructions are incomplete (I am told). prints 8x8x7 and has a heated bed. with delivery and a roll of filament: 420$ ish

Printrbot Simple Metal: 6x6x6 , this printer had a lot of good comments. But I haven't fond any clear instruction if I want to in large the bed, even then it would act how with everything... but it is made out of metal and durable. depending with heated bed or not: 800$ +

QU BD Oneup/two up: Now I have mix feelings about this printer. I am told that the parts (motor and extruder and such) are good quality. but the frame often comes damage, takes for ever to deliver, the whole thing shakes and what not. I am only considering this one for building it (learning) then print a kit, put apart and rebuilt something more to my taste. but at this point, might as well build my own from the start >.< , still 200$ + shipping I could just build it, fix it, print my armors in little parts and assemble them. but mrfff. On the other hand, there is apparently a upgrade kit out there for it to make it bigger and stronger hmmmmm

Quadrap repstrap: Now, this I am very interested in! I can make a nice, solid frame, I understand the concept, I can make it the size that I want and is affordable. But I can not find the plans (the links seems not to work anymore), also the programming seem tricky, and that is one my weakness: programming/understanding electronics boards =P But I understand that I can easily get friendly support ^_^ Now I read price will vary on what parts you get, 400$ ish =) I like the challenge and put my touch into it.

I like the idea building my own, but I know little with the programming, maybe there is a board out there that is good, reliable and easy to use.

Now at this point, I am more seduced with making my own, so I get to decide on the motors, the bearings and such quality wise, it also allows me to make it the size that I would need in a low price.

BUT... I am also wise enough to take recommendations and guides, and this is why I am here.

I am ready to start, I just need some clarity in this over whelming world of options! =)

Thank you ^_^

JAC
Re: Building a 12x12x12 + reprap, need a push in the right direction.
March 17, 2015 02:23PM
Honestly, For under 1k I have built my delta. It will now do 12x12x16inches+. It took me a while to get there though. With all that said, you have kids and want to keep the printer indoors? I would suggest you build an enclosed printer that has a venting fan built in, so you can vent out the chamber before opening it. I would not want my kid to breathe in PLA or worse yet ABS/NYLON fumes.

You said speed is not an issue? I said that at first too. Once you have a 3d printer it gets old waiting for 8 hours+ to print something. Speed is definitely a big thing. I would suggest a large Delta printer. If your looking for an out of box experince, save your cash and get an UM2. Probably one of the best printers out there.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
March 17, 2015 02:39PM
Yes, I am already planning a vacuumed chamber with a outdoor out system. (I use to do a lot of airbrush, so it wont be my first.)

Large Delta, hmmm, would you have a link to the plans? Would help me to look at them =)

As much as I love the Ultimaker 2, I want something that I can mod/fix/change.
March 17, 2015 03:40PM
I do not have set plans as of yet. I am planning on throwing together some stl files for the 3d printed parts and some PDF files for the base and top. I built my printer as an ever developing test bed to increase my understanding of the subject. Your free to replicate my design, you should get some clues on my blog as far as how its built. What you need etc. If you have a specific part you do not understand I can explain it to you or show you pics. I can give you the stl's for the top bearing holder and the carriages and end effector. If your going the delta route do not be intimidated. Many people say bed leveling and firmware tweaking is a big problem. I had no difficulty do it. Did it take time? Yes it did. But to be honest I have not had to re-level my printer until I changed mechanical parts, the rest stayed the same as when I firt built it.

One recommendation I have is if your planing on using wood as I did, seal it up good in the begining. Mine never had issues with warping or cracking. But I can see it very well could. I used a thick layer of ABS goop to seal the wood on my printer. Its been working nicely so far.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
March 17, 2015 04:21PM
hmmm, for a 12x12x16 print area, this is tempting indeed!

I already started looking at the blog.

As I have to set my budget for this, how much (exaggerate on the price) would you think I need to set aside for the project? (I looked at the price list you did, and it be in the 500$ ish)

I will be machining steal plate for the bottom, and aluminium tubing for the sides. I am thinking of making a box integrated with the printer.

I started looking at the blog and yup, this is tingling my fancy!

I am looking deeper into this, and I will contact you soon!

Thank you jaguarking11
March 17, 2015 06:49PM
Here's 12"x12" x 11.5" printer, at least the way it looked a couple months ago. I'm doing a major rebuild now...

[mark.rehorst.com]

Here's part of the rebuild:

[plus.google.com]

[plus.google.com]

I have a CAD file of the rebuild if you'd like to look at it.
March 18, 2015 04:16PM
Go with the makerfarm. It's miles above all the others except the printrbot. Pretty much anything Geeetech or QUBD is trash.
March 18, 2015 06:59PM
I like the Makerfarm, but after talking with a few, the wood frame for larger printers will change.

I have worked with wood, and where I live, humidity is high (next to water, in MTL, we have large change of temps drastically fast.)

If I could get everything from Makerfarm but do my own frames, that would work well with me =)

I pretty much remove Geetech, as comments on it haven't been positive at all.

The QU BD, a few had good experience with it. I'd get the 4x4x5, just to learn and use it to print parts to built a new printer. (for 200$, after learning, at worst i have parts and learned about 3D printing. but the tutorials from 3DprintedLife will be a great help)

I have seen, and still looking at what/how make my own 3D printer, but often I notice it be practical to print parts.

I also learn that I will not get a heated bed for ABS, I will use "PIR foam" as a bed, skipping the whole bed leveling sounds just plain fun! =P

Something that interests me also:

Is there a RepRap with pulley cord system? somehow, this sounds smoother. (more trouble, but I have been on sailing boats so, pulley system sounds logical for me)

I am also will make a log of everything I do, maybe a simple tutorial ^_^
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login