Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder overheating and slipping?

Posted by GRAYWOLF 
Extruder overheating and slipping?
June 22, 2015 02:57AM
I'm (still) running a bulldog lite with a fan between the hotend and the motor but notice a problem that Im getting a clicking sound from the extruder and it seams to be slipping on the filament.
The cura settings are set for a 0.4 mm nozzel with the exception of nozzle size, I've linked 2 screen shots.
Am I missing a setting that is causing the extruder to overheat and skip?

Re: Extruder overheating and slipping?
June 22, 2015 03:18AM
Whatever nozzle size you have, the setting for nozzle size in Cura should match!
If you have a 0.4 nozzle and Cura is slicing for a 0.3 nozzle, it tries to feed 25% more filament. Sure this is to much for the stepper...
-Olaf
June 24, 2015 01:23AM
Is the stepper itself missing steps, or is the gear slipping on the filament?
June 26, 2015 03:22PM
Well all the setting are as they should unless I'm missing something but something over heated and now the x-carriage has deformed.
June 28, 2015 06:55PM
My cheap plexiglass printer had the (arm) holding the filament bearing rubbing on the hob gear so the bearing wasn't putting enough pressure on the filament. I installed a bearing twice the diameter which moved the arm away from the hob gear. Also, until I got a finned extruder w/fan I had to install a fan to blow where the filament enters the plastic hole to keep heat from rising up and causing jams.
June 28, 2015 08:50PM
I've been thinking about getting the bulldog xl(?) and am currently running a different direct drive extruder(standard nema17). If you have a .4mm nozzle and have it set to .3mm in the slicer I think you would be feeding 25% LESS filament than needed... That's assuming your filament is ACTUALLY 1.75 dia.

At anything less than 8 hours I have confirmed its fine at running 1100mA. My DD extruder is NOT spring loaded, its fixed, to pull consistantly that's where I decided to put it. It doesn't over heat... I would barely call it warm if anything.

My thoughts are, the motor could be bad- I had gone though 2 nema17 in 6mo. with this setup, I have no idea what the amperage was set to though. In both of those cases the motor will start skipping even though everything else is fine. This was BEFORE switching to Duet.

This is the MOTOR skipping steps. If you're grinding the material(can also sound like clicking) you could have contaminants in the filament that blocked the nozzle. or... if you have been grindning the 'hobbed' bolt or whatever you use could be packed with filament dust from grinding, this will stop you from engaging the filament properly and will cause it to continue skipping even though everything else is fine.
June 29, 2015 12:28AM
Your message isn't clear here. It sounds like it's not the hot end overheating, but the motor. If it IS the motor, then it is overheating because you are overdriving it. This same thing happened to me; the motor overheated to the point where the small gear and the extruder body both deformed. Also, I couldn't touch the motor for more than a second or two.

My solution was to dial back the current a bit on the stepper driver. Now the motor barely gets warm and it NEVER slips.
June 29, 2015 12:49AM
what kind of plastic are you using as feedstock? if you are using pla then the temp needs to be lower.
June 29, 2015 02:12AM
jbernardis
Your message isn't clear here. It sounds like it's not the hot end overheating, but the motor. If it IS the motor, then it is overheating because you are overdriving it. This same thing happened to me; the motor overheated to the point where the small gear and the extruder body both deformed. Also, I couldn't touch the motor for more than a second or two.

My solution was to dial back the current a bit on the stepper driver. Now the motor barely gets warm and it NEVER slips.

Now thats something I hadn't considered. My stepper drivers are as they were set when supplied.

jamesdanielv
what kind of plastic are you using as feedstock? if you are using pla then the temp needs to be lower.
ABS

Taken it back to factory settings and managed to get it to print a test square but will look at the driver.
What sort of output shoud it have?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login