Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Making prusa i3 wireless via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi

Posted by yulz 
Making prusa i3 wireless via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi
September 19, 2015 11:53PM
Hi, I'm new in this forum, my name is yulz.

I'm currently have 1 prusa i3 printer with Arduino Mega 2560 and RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin Firmware. What I want to do is for a school project, it's about creating something like a remote control or printer assistant for my printer Prusa i3. I already check alternatives like Octoprint and similars but I can't afford buying a Raspberry Pi at this moment, so I want to do something similar using only my Arduino Mega and my RAMPS.

I have found something called RAMPS WiFi Adapter in the RepRap wiki page and also an article called Bluetooth Wireless Communication via BlueSMiR, but the main problem is that I didn't found a guide to run this type of setups, also I'm not sure where to get a RAMPS WiFi Adapter or a BlueSMiRF.

Basically, what I want to do is create a web based interface for my PC from where I can select some GCODE files and send it to my printer to start printing without using an SD Card or an USB memory. Also I would like to show the basic information from the LCD (the percentage complete and the remaining time).

The thing is, I don't know exactly where to start confused smiley, I have bought a new Arduino Mega to work with the firmware and make it wireless compatible without successful so far. I want to make a cheap alternative to Octoprint and others Raspberry Pi-based options (even if doesn't have all the features that these have), so if you can give me any advice, tutorial or something else I will appreciate it.
Re: Making prusa i3 wireless via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi
September 20, 2015 01:20AM
Look at the esp8266. I don't think I'd loose the SD card yet. It would be better to use the a web page to transfer the GCode to the ramps SD card and then start the print.

Btw there's a micro Sd adapter for the ramps board. Think it's called ramps-sd. ~$3-5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2015 01:23AM by madmike8.
Re: Making prusa i3 wireless via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi
September 20, 2015 01:57AM
Interesting, so if I get both (the esp8266 module and the SD RAMPS) for my printer and transfer the GCODE files via webpage, I would be able to print remotely or just to transfer the files and then print them from the LCD screen?

Also, I see that a Logic Level Converter is required for using the esp8266 module, is this something like plug & play or I need to do some electronic modifications to make it work?

Finally, do you know what changes are needed to enable all this devices on the firmware (Marlin or similars)? I'm guessing on Configuration.h (#define or something).

Thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login