Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wikipedia needs updating

Posted by JesseChisholm 
Wikipedia needs updating
August 29, 2010 08:00PM
As I am new to the 3D-printing world, I don't have sufficient knowledge of RepRap details to do the update myself, but I notice that on the 3D Printing page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing) it has a small paragraph on RepRap, but does not list the RepRap Darwin or Mendel in the printer comparison table.

-Jesse
Re: Wikipedia needs updating
August 31, 2010 08:32AM
Hear Hear!!

I think that is something of an oversight!! I agree with Jesse - That page could do with inclusion of the 'official' reprap printers...

Maybe someone who is sharp and clever could do it... Sebastian?? cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2010 08:33AM by AgeingHippy.
September 02, 2010 05:43AM
Isn't wikipedia open to anyone? Why don't you just insert the relevant information?
September 02, 2010 11:41AM
it looks like it's just a short blurb. Then, there's a link to the main article:

Main article: RepRap Project

Is there anything missing from the main article?
September 02, 2010 05:33PM
Maybe someone who is sharp and clever could do it... Sebastian??

I second JesseChisholm's suggestion and nominate Jacob Bayless to edit wikipedia again. winking smiley

Jesse, you're an official RepRap developer, and very welcome to have a go at that page. I'd suggest toplisting BfB in the table, and also penciling in RepRap. I'd suggest padding out the RepRap paragraph with the mendel photo from wikipedia's article on reprap. Let me know if you have any trouble doing so.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
September 03, 2010 09:27PM
Ha... I'm honoured tongue sticking out smiley

But currently the 3D printing page is a bit of a mess. All the printers in the comparison table are Stratasys, or RepRap derivatives. Plus, it's not clear to me what the distinction is between 3D printing and [en.wikipedia.org] .
September 04, 2010 04:03AM
Ha... I'm honoured
It's an honour to nominate you. smiling bouncing smiley

I had a bit of a go at the webpage. Added Ben Rockhold's Pirated_CupCake to the table, which was fun. smileys with beer

Plus, it's not clear to me what the distinction is between (snip)
All that stuff is written in the sand. Academics and Entrepreneurs make up the terminology as they go along; sometimes the distinction is useful, "Laminated Object Manufacturing", sometimes it is not. "Rapid Prototyping". winking smiley

"3D printing" = Solid Freeform Fabrication, whereas "Rapid Prototyping" = Fused Filament Fabriction.
Unless you are RepFabbing@MakerFromBytes.

In which case it is definitely "CNC".

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
September 05, 2010 01:38AM
I would also say that 3D solid freeform printing is more the commercial side, and reprap more the DIY/homebrew side

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login