Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Second extruder question

Posted by DjDemonD 
Second extruder question
January 13, 2016 06:57PM
I have an I3 rework running on ramps 1.4/mega 2560. I am running Marlin 1.0.2.
I intend to use the 2nd extruder thermistor to control a heater in my enclosure, which is currently running off an external controller.
As I have a heated bed I intended to use the D9 output to run the heater. My print fan was running off D9 so I have added a fan extender to the d4 pins, and changed fan_pin in pins.h to 4 from 9, the fan works just fine.

I have changed the number of extruders to 2 in configuration.h and set motherboard 34 (extruder,extruder,bed) but I ran into a problem compiling "unable to find a register to spill in class 'POINTER_REGS'" I did find the solution online which was to enable the thermal runaway protection for extruder, which then threw a different error until I enable it for heat bed also. Having done that I have managed to write the firmware to the arduino.

However my second extruder now reports 483 Deg C connected or 500 Deg C if I disconnect it. Even stranger the temperature reading goes down if I warm the thermistor in my hand.
This thermistor reports around 135 Kohm resistance at 18 deg C.
I am using the same thermistor as I have used on my heatbed (I bought a pack of 5) which were supposed to be 3950 thermistors (type 11 in Marlin).

I have obviously missed something obvious does anyone know what it is? I have attached my config, pins and thermistortables.

The other question was that since my enclosure heater is a hairdryer I intended to switch it by bang bang control via a mechanical power relay, as a PWM signal via an SSR would not work for a hairdryer with a fan in it, correct? Can I enable PWM for E0 and bang bang for e1?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2016 07:33PM by DjDemonD.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (35.1 KB)
open | download - pins.h (79.3 KB)
open | download - thermistortables.h (38.4 KB)
Re: Second extruder question
January 13, 2016 07:18PM
There is an odd logic to this in that when I short the extruder 2 thermistor pins on the ramps I get a reading on the lcd of 0 deg c. When these pins are open (no thermisotr attached) it reads 500 deg C and with the thermistor atteched 483 deg C. My ambient air temperature (and the reading on my other two thermistors) is 17 deg C. So it is of a fashion working, but the output seems to be inverted.
January 14, 2016 06:10PM
SOLVED - had to define it as temp_sensor_1 not temp_sensor_2.
and ensure redundant temp sensor 1 was commented out

But anyone got any thoughts on best way to switch a hairdryer on/off using e1 thermistor and d9 output on ramps and marlin 1.0.2?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2016 06:12PM by DjDemonD.
January 16, 2016 03:54AM
Seems that selecting slow_pwm in configuration.h will allow more reasonable control of the hairdryer. It does make the hotend a little less precise in heating up. It's a shame the settings for all extruders are the same, it would be very useful if each extruder could be configured independantly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login