Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

getting resolution into the microns

Posted by mlagana 
getting resolution into the microns
October 11, 2010 01:54AM
I was wondering if it is only filament size that dictates resolution?

IF someone was able to create a low cost print head that extruded powder or anything in the microns, would there be anything else holding the mendel back from say 3 to 5 microns resolution?

not that i have any ideas sad smiley

i recently got in a taxi with a driver who during the week is a mechatronics engineer, he is interested in reprap but his work requires resolution of +/-5 microns. (we are email friends now).
VDX
Re: getting resolution into the microns
October 11, 2010 03:25AM
... it's the stiffness of the frame, torque and resolution of the motors, accuracy of the ref-switches and some other mechanical issues too ...

I have some linear stages with 2Nm-steppers and high precision spindles, which have a stepping resolution of 0.5 microns and inductive sensors for a 'reference-switch' with 1micron acuracy - but this will normally cost some ten thousand bucks eye popping smiley

So you can estimate, for enhancing the resolution by 1/10-th you can calculate rising the price of the neede mechanics by 10x too sad smiley

Another question is the fabbing speed - if you'll fab with let's say 10 microns resolution (when extruding with the same speed as with 0,1mm resolution) you'll need 10x10x10 = 1000-fold time for the same volume!

So you need controllers and drivers capable of this speed, what's a massive cost issue too!

I have two sorts of highres/highspeed-drivers - one with 10000 steps per rev and 200kHz, another with 51200 steps per rev and 10MHz clocking speed, but actually Arduino lacks of this timing resolution sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2010 03:28AM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 11, 2010 05:10AM
Ok that opens my eyes to the massive cost of commercial printers a bit...

would it be possibly to use belts and nema17 steppers but add a bit of a gearbox so 1step equates much less distance? But i guess you would still need the expensive sensors.
VDX
October 11, 2010 05:29AM
... referencing with common microswitches or cheap inductive sensors should be accurate to +/- 10 microns, tweaking opto-sensors with a thin slit and isolating against ambient light would do even better ...

When reducing the stepwidth by gear-ratio you can run the motor with higher clocking speed too, so this could be a way in the right direction - but then you have the highsphed-clocking-issues too, so it's a bit of testing, whats possible with your cost-limits ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

October 11, 2010 07:47AM
i'm pretty much broke. plus i have no real ideas.. except what i've read elsewhere like putting ABS to a discsander for powder, or putting things in blenders. Then i guess hacking an epson printhead... or designing a tiny nozzle that can open by solenoid. Then lazer sintering as a seperate toolhead. (after every layer?)

you mentioned you have the stages and sensors, is finer resolution a path you are going down?
VDX
October 11, 2010 08:17AM
... it's a bit more complex - essentially i'm going two roads synchronously ...

With the finer/stiffer stages i'm building a machine with 1 micron accuracy and a moving range of 180x180x180mm.

Aditionally i'm adopting some nanostages with 0,1micron accuracy and 25mm travelling range and another type with sub-nano accuracy and 50 microns travelling range into a hybride structure, where i'll have a selectable positioning accuracy from 1micron to some nanometers over a 'macroscopic' area of 180mm in XYZ ... some high precision tilting and rotating stages are there too.

Actually i'll be happy with 5 microns accuracy (my smallest laserspot is 10 microns wide), but with time i'm searching some linear encoders with 10 nanometers accuracy for adopting the nano-stages in the system, then i'll try with some more pecise stuff.

My goal is nano-fabbing for DIY-electronics and micromechanics ...

Viktor
--------

October 11, 2010 08:59AM
using a microscope as your toolhead, and using stop motion photography, you could get some really beautiful camera moves over tiny tiny environments. I.e, take a photo, move camera a bit, repeat a billion times then put the photos together as an image sequence. Something i've tried semi successfully (a tiny linear axis for a camera move over one of my eye lashes).

resolution like that sounds appropriate for not only nanotech but maybe even biotech! God speed.
October 11, 2010 04:05PM
Really? +/- 0.01 millimeters from something like this? Repeatable?

[www.grainger.com]

Why is anyone using end-stops, besides the fact that they're specified?

(here I'm glad I've not made progress on my Digikey.com order)

VDX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... referencing with common microswitches or cheap
> inductive sensors should be accurate to +/- 10
> microns, tweaking opto-sensors with a thin slit
> and isolating against ambient light would do even
> better ...

--
My blog's Reprap feed: [blog.markbova.com]
I'm currently working on a stock Mendel build with a Seeeduino Mega and four Pololu A4983 stepper controllers.
VDX
October 11, 2010 05:03PM
... in my Isel-CNC-mill are microswitches as reference- and endstops and when i measured some inductive sensors/switches from Pepperl&Fuchs i found in my scrap, i measured one (rectangular) type with 50 microns hysteresis and 2 microns repeatability ... the other (cylindrical) type with 120microns hysteresis but with 2-3microns repeatability too.

My inductive sensors from Omron have sensing accuracy better than 1 micron in measuring range of 2 millimeters ...

Viktor
--------

October 11, 2010 05:46PM
VDX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... i measured some
> inductive sensors/switches from Pepperl&Fuchs i
> found in my scrap, i measured one (rectangular)
> type with 50 microns hysteresis and 2 microns
> repeatability ...

Ah, I just searched for "inductive sensor|switch" and found some examples. While they may work great, they're not in the price range of the simple mechanical electronic switches that I linked to.

Th one I linked to is the type that's typically used in microwaves to ensure that the door is closed, among other things.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login