Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Did I brick my Printer?

Posted by argonsoon 
Did I brick my Printer?
May 01, 2016 11:19PM
i had just turned the printer on and it had started its print cycle when i accidentally kicked the cord from the wall. Now when i plug it in the LCD display only gives me a bunch of rectangle boxes and the controls do not work. how do i fix this?
Re: Did I brick my Printer?
May 01, 2016 11:55PM
It's not possible to brick a printer -- they can always be fixed!

What sort of printer is it?

Can you get to the electronics? If so, is the LCD cable still seated properly?
May 02, 2016 12:39AM
it is the Prusa i3 by Hictop. I believe its also known as the i3 prusa Mendel. It came as a kit build acouple of weeks ago and ive printed numerous things before this happened. Its this one

[www.amazon.com]
May 02, 2016 04:58AM
Unless it spontaneously starts working again then you need to test each thing individually. Connect it to a pc see if it works from a host such as pronterface. If its working perfectly but the Lcd is scrambled maybe it's the Lcd or its cabling. After that it's a case of testing each likely failed component. It could be the Lcd, the power supply, the arduino, the ramps board or any cabling or combination of these problems.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
May 02, 2016 11:24AM
did try out the connection speed like 15k somthing if got that wrong get strange thingys on lcd
May 02, 2016 04:21PM
I tried connecting it to my computer and running a print through cura, however the printer could no longer connect to my computer through the batraes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2016 04:22PM by argonsoon.
May 02, 2016 04:38PM
check all the cables from your power supply and board, something get loose there.
May 02, 2016 05:45PM
I think we can assume that the printer board is getting power, since something does happen on the LCD (even though it's not what you expect). But it's probably worth checking the voltage if you can. If you have another 12V power supply, try that.

When you connect the printer to your computer via USB, does the computer make the 'bloop' connected sound? Can you see it in Device Manager (assuming you're running Windows)?

I'm guessing that (if all the cables to the LCD are plugged in right) you need to re-Flash the firmware in the printer. That isn't particularly difficult or time-consuming, but does depend a bit on what controller board you have.

Can you post photos of the board(s)? Is it an Arduino Mega + RAMPS, or something different? Do you know what software you were running? (Marlin? Repetier?)

You will need the right .HEX file to download to the printer. Hopefully you've got that, or the source code, from the vendor? If not, I suggest you get it, even if that isn't the problem in this case.
May 02, 2016 07:36PM
Board is receiving exactly 12v. all wiring is perfectly intact as far as i can tell. I took both a picture of the power supply (probabley not useful) and a picture of the board. (Sorry about the bad resolution had to drop the quality a lot to get it to upload with this 614.4kb limit.)
Attachments:
open | download - 20160502_162407[1].jpg (602.6 KB)
open | download - 20160502_163348[1].jpg (148.4 KB)
May 02, 2016 08:21PM
I think your board is an MKS Base v1.3 See this page for more information, including how to re-Flash.

I'm not familiar with it. Hopefully someone else on here can advise.
May 02, 2016 11:19PM
if it helps at all, the instructions label it as a HI019-JS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2016 11:25PM by argonsoon.
May 03, 2016 10:18AM
you could have corrupted your firmware, could try re flashing it
edit: someone already said that..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2016 10:19AM by DaGameFace.
May 04, 2016 02:28AM
does anyone know the firmware i need?
May 04, 2016 02:59AM
want the seller or kit maker know?. I ask because they have the exact files/setting you need. other than that Marlin "wiki mk base mentions the use of marlin.

configuring daunting at first, straight forward enough, within marlin you need to change a few setting in the config.h to match your machine drinking smiley " a few he says".
May 06, 2016 03:09AM
managed to get the firmware from the manufacturer, However when i plug the printer into my computer my computer DOES recognizes i am plugging something in but when i go to install the firmware it says the printer is not plugged in. CURA is not recognizing the printer.
May 06, 2016 04:53AM
Hi,

Cura is the printer's controller not the tool used for loading the firmware.

You need to use the Ardunio IDE [www.arduino.cc]
Download and install the above, then open the main firmware file; which might be called marlin.ino within the IDE there will be other files open in the tabs
there is also a file called configuration.h In which the main settings for you printer are and can be adjusted if needed.

Plug in your printer, select the right board and serial port (under the tools menu) within the IDE and upload the firmware.
You should find that when you start cura your printer should be seen and be usable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2016 04:54AM by orictosh.

Supporting 3D Printers with Parts and Build services.
Printer: Ormerod 2 (528.4) Duel extruder set-up with Aluminium X-Rib, RRPro Firmware v1.11-ch (2016-04-08)
May 07, 2016 02:17AM
though the manufacturer told me to use cura and sent me a video tutorial using cura to reinstall the firmware. I installed adunio however the firmware file i was sent is the wrong file extension so it can not be opened in this manor.
May 15, 2016 06:33PM
ordered a new board, and cant connect to that one either.
May 18, 2016 01:48AM
I don't know so much about printers, but your LCD shows rectangles because of loosing the display cord.
Try to fix it!!!

iOS apps development | iPhone apps development | iPad app development
May 18, 2016 03:58AM
managed to connect to the new board finally, but the display still wasn't working, ordered a new display, the display will not light up but when i turn the dial i can see the board blink a blue light. doesnt work on the old display. to recap

Old display- lights up but all rectangles, dial doesnt do anything noticeable

New Display- Does not light up, dial makes blue light blink on control board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2016 04:00AM by argonsoon.
May 18, 2016 11:27AM
Ok, some quick questions:

Did you get to flash the firmware to the new board at this point?

Have you verified the two LCD cables are connected to the correct points on the board?

Let me know if you have done the above, let's see if we can get you printing again!

also let me know if this is the display you're working with... [www.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2016 11:30AM by Sgriff08.
May 19, 2016 03:09AM
Yes i flashed the new board with the firmware, its a base 1.4 board.
yes i have verified the cables are in correct, i have even tried them both ways just to make sure.
Yes that looks to be the correct display.
May 26, 2016 01:52AM
I typically have spare parts laying around such as LCD displays, Mega 2560 boards, RAMPS Boards, heaters, thermisters, etc. Most of these things are cheap and changing suspected bad parts with known good ones is sometimes the easiest way to troubleshoot a system.

Stuart
June 07, 2016 12:02PM
I had a simular problem. The connectors that connected the display to the board were overly tight and took a very hard push to seat properly. As a computer consultant, I would say almost twice the force required on similar cables I have used in the past. Support the board when pushing that hard.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login