Correct nozzle size fo the slicer: the official or the real extruded one?
December 09, 2016 06:57AM
Hello! I have a 0.4 nozzle from my E3D V6 (original stuff) and I am using this value in slimplify3D as nozzle diameter and extrusion width, to test a thing I extruded in mid air some filament and measure with a digital caliper the diameter and it's something like 0.48 , isn't this the right value to use in the slicer setting?

Thank you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2016 06:57AM by Sicon.

Voronix Core XY (custom model): Radds 1.6 (DRV8825) - Nextion 7" - E3d Titan + Hotend E3d V6 Direct - MK4DUO 4.3.3
Re: Correct nozzle size fo the slicer: the official or the real extruded one?
December 09, 2016 06:59AM
Use the 0.4 number, not the diameter of the extruded filament. What you're measuring is called die-swell.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 09, 2016 09:10AM
Most slicers probably assume a default extrusion width of 0.48 for a 0.4 nozzle, which sometimes matches the size of filament extruded in free air i.e. die-swell. Where it says nozzle diameter enter 0.4.

Print with the default extrusion width setting initially, get everything calibrated right especially over/under extrusion. If you are certain you are not over or under extruding and you get small gaps between say perimeter lines (dont check first layers look from about layer 6-8 onwards), then you might increase it slightly. My E3D v6 0.4mm nozzle seems to print better with extrusion width set to 0.52mm than default (0.48).

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
December 09, 2016 10:37AM
I used a .3 setting once, in the slicer, when I used a .4 nozzle. It didn't seem to make a difference.

Dan
December 09, 2016 01:21PM
techristian
I used a .3 setting once, in the slicer, when I used a .4 nozzle. It didn't seem to make a difference.

Dan

Nozzle diameter is only used in a few places, depending on if you let the slicer choose extrusion width automatically or set manual values. The most critical effect is on bridging where the slicer will assume that the extrusion in free air matches the nozzle diameter and calculates the extrusion volume accordingly. If the setting doesn't match the actual nozzle diameter you will either get saggy bridges or overly stretched ones.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login