Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bin Gear?

Posted by MechaBits 
Bin Gear?
January 22, 2017 05:28PM

Are these any use? (probably not to me with my electronics skills)
would anyone use them as is or would you salvage parts from them?
Re: Bin Gear?
January 22, 2017 05:35PM
Jeff's (LoboCNC) pic-steps! How cool is that smiling smiley Where did you get them? Remember this thread: [forums.reprap.org] ?

Edit: apparently still for sale at $160 per board [www.jrkerr.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2017 05:41PM by JamesK.
January 22, 2017 05:47PM
No hadnt read the thread, so will read with interest, I got them with the rails & motors I bought for Godzilla.
January 22, 2017 05:56PM
I guess the thread is only tangentially related, but it does give some of Jeff's background in motor control. I think the PIC-servo boards were the direct predecessor to the servolulu idea he was proposing.
January 22, 2017 06:28PM
Yes, these are, in fact, PIC-STEP boards which are still sold by JEFFREY KERR, LLC (although I'm not actually running the company myself anymore). They are functional, but pretty dated in their capabilities (only full/half stepping). They are still being used by companies that designed them into products years ago, but there are better and cheaper alternatives today.

And JamesK is right - the more modern PIC-SERVO controllers used in the PIC-SERVO boards are what I based the Servolulu controllers on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2017 06:29PM by LoboCNC.
January 22, 2017 06:36PM
Yeah these look like before the tiny driver, old school, very clean though, look like new, pity to not use them for something.

But reading this at the bottom of one of the pages
"Once you've got your hardware connected and tested, you will need to program your own particular application. A variety of additional documentation and source code programming examples are available in both Basic and C."
means they are probably better in pieces as I have no controller or SW writing abilitysad smiley

The plates & connectors might come in handy. Anyone else need them as is?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2017 12:03AM by MechaBits.
January 24, 2017 10:33AM
Also got one of these (02AA)

It has 6 wires 4 wires going to a DB15 and 2 other wires with ferrules on them, do they need to be used?
I thought this was a nema 23, but just seen some 23's and they looked smaller?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 10:34AM by MechaBits.
January 24, 2017 10:37AM
I have some vexta steppers too, they came off a silicon wafer handling machine, so I assume they are top quality. I think they predated the nema standard, so just make mounts to match. Two of the wires are center taps, just use a meter to figure out which wires go with which coils and ignore the centers.
January 24, 2017 11:04AM
Cheers James, I've ordered extra DB15's so I can leave the plug as is, I dont know when i'll get round to using this due to the voltage, which I thought was 24v but just had a look and it doesnt stipulate. someone's scribled 2.71 on the steps label, I wonder if that was their target for amps?
January 24, 2017 11:08AM
If it really has 1 Ohm coils you'll be able to drive it easily as that is only 3V at 3A. Well, easily from a volts perspective, getting 3A out of pololu's is a bit more of a problem, but hopefully you won't need to drive it that hard. Mine are a mix, but one is about 8 Ohm which presents me with more of a challenge smiling smiley
January 24, 2017 11:25AM
I was hoping when I do use it for it to lift a table seems the most logical place for it, even though at the top of Godzilla there is a mount for it pointing down, I was thinking of leaving it up there as a weight to keep the column static instead of screwing to a base...but better to put it to use if I can.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 11:25AM by MechaBits.
January 24, 2017 12:25PM
Ye gods, that's quite a big motor: [www.orientalmotor.co.in]

Good for about 300 Oz-in if I read the spec right. I found one on ebay for about $400 CAD with shipping. Lucky you.
January 24, 2017 03:17PM
I'll say smiling smiley The whole lot cost me £90 The other Pacific Scientific motors a little smaller but bigger than a 17, had a 6.35 shaft so got a coupler for 8mm, as the leads that came with it where too short and wrong dims. I'll use this for another Z bed...not Zzzz Bed ahhh
January 24, 2017 03:22PM
Mine are all 1/4" shafts too. Fortunately there are plenty of GT2 pulleys with 1/4" ID on aliexpress. I got the ones for 9mm belt, but messed up the order and got 6mm belt to go with them. *sigh* I could do with some Zzzz bed right now...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login