Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Control board decision - DuetWifi or Smoothieboard...??

Posted by ampapa 
Re: Control board decision - DuetWifi or Smoothieboard...??
June 05, 2018 02:30AM
cwaa
My only experience is with a smoothie board and smoothie ware. What has Duet got that I don't already have? I don't want to have to learn marlin so what am I giving up? I connect to my printer over my lan, I can upload files to the SD card from anywhere on my network. I use ponterface for my network interface.

You've already got a good 32-bit board, so I'm not trying to persuade you to switch. But in answer you your question, the Duet offers these advantages:

- TMC2660 drivers with up to x256 microstepping, microstep interpolation, stall detection, up to 2.4A motor current, no cooling normally needed at currents up to 2.0A.
- Much faster file upload to the SD card over the network. 800kbytes/sec is typical, less than 13 seconds for a 10Mbyte file.
- A comprehensive web interface providing a lot more information and control that you get with Pronterface.
- Expandability up to 12 stepper drivers, 9 fans, 8 heaters.

Delta printer calibration calculator, mini IR Z probe, and colour touch screen control panel: [escher3d.com]

Large delta printer, and other 3D printer blog postings: [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]

Disclosure: I have a financial interest in sales of the Panel Due, Mini IR height sensor, and Duet WiFi/Duet Ethernet [www.duet3d.com].
June 06, 2018 09:43AM
I've used both and would have to say that file upload + ease of starting a print is the most important question.

I've never had to wait more than a minute to upload via ethernet to the duet.
However I've never found a fast way to upload to the smoothieboard. I would often have to wait 20-30 minutes to upload via usb or ethernet & the external sd card isnt really stable. The fastest way to upload is to pull out the firmware sd card and upload a new file. But to only have fast upload while the printer is off is just... terrible.

That said, marlin 2 is pretty darn awesome and seems to get rid of the issues I was having with smoothieboard + external sd. So if you want to use smoothie hardware then I highly suggest getting marlin 2 when they finish development. Marlin seems to be more pro experimental features than RRF or smoothie. (Probably has a larger dev team) Though I think RRF is a close second.

I also have never felt like I was pushing the duet harder than it could take. I've run my duet delta at ungodly print speeds with 400 plus steps per mm and never been slowed.
Smoothie has been less efficient with the software's use of the hardware. I had major issues with high steps per mm in early designs I made & had to do some really annoying stuff to make the smoothie delta calibration not freeze up. It feels like every time I add a feature, I have to take one away for the smoothieboard.

My conclusion would be to use a duet and I wish it weren't true cause its pricey. But it just works really well. And if you pick any other board, you'll end up spending the same amount of money to get the same performance & still wont have the awesome features of the web interface. Printing use to be a process. And now it's a button push.
June 07, 2018 10:22AM
I already have a smoothie board on my cartesian printer. I am buying another controller for a delta build I am assembling now. How much hassle is it to learn Marlin? I will have a very small learning curve with smoothie and I like the current product.
June 07, 2018 11:42AM
The Duet doesn't run Marlin, it runs RepRapFirmware. A single firmware binary handles all configurations, so you never need to recompile the firmware - unless of course you are a software developer and you want to. Firmware configuration is done using a text file on the SD card, but all the configuration commands are GCodes - so completely different from Smoothieware's text config file.

Therefore, the main learning curve for you if you buy a Duet will be how to configure the firmware. There is a web-based configuration tool at [reprapfirmware.org] to help you generate the configuration and homing files.

For delta printers, segmentation-free delta motion and least-squares auto calibration of up to 9 delta printer factors is built into the firmware.

HTH David

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2018 11:44AM by dc42.

Delta printer calibration calculator, mini IR Z probe, and colour touch screen control panel: [escher3d.com]

Large delta printer, and other 3D printer blog postings: [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]

Disclosure: I have a financial interest in sales of the Panel Due, Mini IR height sensor, and Duet WiFi/Duet Ethernet [www.duet3d.com].
June 08, 2018 10:27AM
I just ordered the Duet ethernet board. I was leaning toward the Smoothie and when I tried to order it, it was out of stock everywhere but Europe. So I will try Duet.
June 10, 2018 06:27AM
nice choise . you wont regret this . this is top board..!

RePrapPro Mendel 3
Duet 0.6 firmware 1.19
RePrapPro Mendel 3
Duet 0.8.5 firmware 1.19
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login