Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dry filament is critical!

Posted by dtwrv6 
Dry filament is critical!
January 12, 2019 01:06PM
I just purchased a dehydrator for my 3d printer setup (a generic one off of Amazon - save yourself a lot of money rather than something labelled for printer use).
WOW! I don't think I can overstate how much of a vast improvement in quality I'm seeing. Adhesion is through the roof on everything I've tested - nylon, abs, polycarbonate. This is across the board true on printbite, buildtak, and glass.
Nylon is string free!
Layer adhesion is much stronger, and I can print thinner walls without cracking. I've run several prints without chamber heat.

I wouldn't say it is any more critical than having a well calibrated system with an absolutely flat and clean build surface. Once you get all of that right, there is still an order of magnitude improvement when you use a dehydrator. If you think your house is in a dry climate - that's not good enough. I dispense from the dryer and leave it running for the print duration.

Don
Re: Dry filament is critical!
January 13, 2019 08:30AM
That's great. Pictures and a link to Amazon would be nice.
January 13, 2019 01:02PM
[www.amazon.com]

I also purchased a carousel from a local kitchen appliance store for $7 dollars that fits inside nicely and allows the 1kg spools to spin freely on their sides. I can get two of them in the dryer, and the filament feeds out through the door without modification. I did use some tape to hold the door shut.

There are much cheaper dryers available. I rolled the dice and upgraded so I could get the controls and wattage I wanted. It works great!

January 18, 2019 09:35AM
Dtwrv6
I’m currently building a new delta and plan to build a heated filament enclosure on top. What I don’t know is the ideal temperature to run it at.
What temperature do you find the best?
Thank you,
Rod
January 18, 2019 09:59AM
You know, I currently have my filament open-air in my basement. I was keeping it in sealed freezer bags with a color-changing dessicant and my dessicant was indicating I had some moisture.

Out of convenince and curiosity, I opened one bag and placed it about six inches away from a radiant space heater I have down there right now and sure enough after 24 hours the dessicant's color changed indicating 0 moisture. I've now opened up all of my filament bags and they are now camping in a circle around my space heater drying out. Eventually I'm going to go the route of dedicating a storage tote full of dessicant as my filament storage but if you ever need to dry filament in a pinch and don't want to put it in the oven (AKA don't anger the wife) this works.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login