Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

E3d V6 clone at high temperature

Posted by aamcle 
E3d V6 clone at high temperature
September 15, 2022 03:50PM
I want to print some higher temperature filaments but even Petg eventualy ruined the ptfe in my old Mk8 hotend.

I bought 2 bi-metallic all metal heat breaks and a E3d V6 clone so I can print over the safe temperature of PTFE.

In my new V6 clone the ptfe tube goes through the cool end and part way into the heat break but not right down to the nozzel. This is correct according to the E3d website.

However the tube goes much deeper into the heatbreak than the E3d diagrams show.
When the heatbreak is fitted to the coolend the ptfe tube terminates about 6mm from the bottom of the coolend.

The effect is that the heat that travels up from the block has to fall from say 300°C to 235-240° in the first 6mm of the coolend to prevent damage to the ptfe.

I know the thinned section of the heatbreak reduces the amount of heat getting to the cold end but dropping something like 50-60°C in the first 6mm of the coolend is a big ask.

Are these bi- metallic hotends going to be OK or should I reserve them for filaments like ASA that apparently print in the 260°C region?

Atb aamcle

Or just buy genuine....
rq3
Re: E3d V6 clone at high temperature
September 15, 2022 05:29PM
If the heat sink and heat break are doing their job, the end of the heatsink closest to the nozzle will be darn close to ambient temperature.
There's a good thermographic photo in this article:
[all3dp.com]

I build all of the components for the hot end and extruder myself, and can vouch for the accuracy of that picture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2022 05:33PM by rq3.
Re: E3d V6 clone at high temperature
September 16, 2022 02:36AM
Ideal.

Thanks rq3.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login