Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Drilling into the side of a rod..... The hard way

Posted by Ollie 
Drilling into the side of a rod..... The hard way
September 02, 2011 04:33AM
Well i've "misplaced" both my vices for my pillar drill...sad smiley So i was jus' wondering if any1 had any great ideas for actually drilling a 4mm hole into the side of a rod.. Still havn't bought a 4 jaw chcuk for my lathe, so i'm pretty much stumped until i get another vice for ma drill eye rolling smiley Unless some kind ppl have some great ideas smileys with beer
Re: Drilling into the side of a rod..... The hard way
September 02, 2011 06:19AM
File a small flat and centre punch it before drilling. You still need something to hold it with though or a V shape to sit it in.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Re: Drilling into the side of a rod..... The hard way
September 02, 2011 10:55AM
Drill a hole in a scrap block of wood that matches the rod. tap the rod in to the hole in the wooden block. The block will hold the rod as you drill the 4mm hole in the rod, through the wooden block! Filing the flat and center punching the location you want the hole is advisable also, in combination with the wooden block to hold the rod, since you don't seem to have a vice.

The bigger question is how on earth do you misplace two vices and a pressdrill? smiling smiley Time might be better spent looking for those items? smiling smiley

Have fun!

[numbersixreprap.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login