Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Host software window layout

Posted by reece.arnott 
Host software window layout
February 19, 2009 04:25PM
Running on my Ubuntu laptop at 1280 x 800 I get many examples of the following when I run the latest host software from the sourceforge zip file:

Note the buttons below the axis positions are only partially visible. It looks like the window layout is designed for a different window size but as there is no difference if I maximise the window (and others haven't complained) I doubt that is the case. It is probably something I'm doing or not doing.

Another example:

In this case it is just that the tops of the words are cut off. If you maximise the screen the variable names come right but the values in the boxes do not i.e. the input boxes are not tall enough.

It may or may not be related to a weird warning I get when I run the software:

Feb 20, 2009 10:03:43 AM com.sun.corba.se.impl.ior.IORImpl getProfile
WARNING: "IOP00511201: (INV_OBJREF) IOR must have at least one IIOP profile"
org.omg.CORBA.INV_OBJREF: vmcid: SUN minor code: 1201 completed: No
at com.sun.corba.se.impl.logging.IORSystemException.iorMustHaveIiopProfile(IORSystemException.java:473)
at com.sun.corba.se.impl.logging.IORSystemException.iorMustHaveIiopProfile(IORSystemException.java:495)
at com.sun.corba.se.impl.ior.IORImpl.getProfile(IORImpl.java:334)
at com.sun.corba.se.impl.encoding.CDRInputStream_1_0.read_Object(CDRInputStream_1_0.java:787)
at com.sun.corba.se.impl.encoding.CDRInputStream_1_0.read_Object(CDRInputStream_1_0.java:761)
at com.sun.corba.se.impl.encoding.CDRInputStream.read_Object(CDRInputStream.java:231)
at com.sun.corba.se.impl.resolver.INSURLOperationImpl.getIORFromString(INSURLOperationImpl.java:120)
at com.sun.corba.se.impl.resolver.INSURLOperationImpl.operate(INSURLOperationImpl.java:130)
at com.sun.corba.se.impl.orb.ORBImpl.string_to_object(ORBImpl.java:836)
at org.GNOME.Accessibility.AccessUtil.getRegistryObject(AccessUtil.java:143)
at org.GNOME.Accessibility.JavaBridge.registerApplication(JavaBridge.java:1099)
at org.GNOME.Accessibility.JavaBridge.(JavaBridge.java:364)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:532)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:372)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:325)
at java.awt.Toolkit.loadAssistiveTechnologies(Toolkit.java:786)
at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:874)
at java.awt.Toolkit.getEventQueue(Toolkit.java:1694)
at java.awt.EventQueue.invokeLater(EventQueue.java:957)
at javax.swing.SwingUtilities.invokeLater(SwingUtilities.java:1289)
at org.reprap.Main.main(Unknown Source)

Any ideas?
Re: Host software window layout
February 19, 2009 04:38PM
And once again, a couple of minutes thinking and tinkering could have saved me the hassle of writing a big long post.

The problem was that I was using the java-6-openjdk, not the java-6-sun version of java!

A couple of commands later, and its all fine.
sudo update-java-alternatives --set java-6-sun
sudo update-alternatives --config java
February 21, 2009 05:14AM
Reece,

Glad to hear someone Fixed this problem before i got a chance to experience it. now i know to have Java-6-Sun installed. i figured it was a resolution thing when i started reading, like you should drop it down to 1024*768 or up it to 1280*1024. i look forward to running into these problems when i get mine up and running.

cheeswiz
S. M. Das
July 18, 2009 04:11PM
Still, though, it would be nice to have it work with OpenJDK so that those of us running Linux on non-x86 architectures would also be able to contribute. I hope we can somehow avoid this Sun-Java-only requirement someday!

I'm currently on second-hand PowerPC Apple hardware. The laptop is still reasonably usable, around 1.6GHz & 1.5GB RAM... but I was unable (and somewhat unwilling, frankly) to keep up with the Apple software update cycle, for monetary and ethical reasons.

Oddly (and completely off-topic), I'm actually having better luck using natively-ported applications than (mostly) cross-platform Java apps. I actually was looking forward to a wealth of Java programs, but I'm finding that many really nice open source Java projects don't work, and the generic forum response is "What are you thinking? You're using IcedTea/OpenJDK?? That's never going to work... go get Sun Java." Another example is SweetHome3D for doing floorplan layouts (that appears to be a netx problem). But I digress...

:-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login