Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin/Pronterface initial Gcode voodoo

Posted by jtrantow 
Marlin/Pronterface initial Gcode voodoo
February 17, 2013 08:43PM
I'm running Marlin firmware with the Pronterface frontend on custom CNC hardware. I have had a bunch of problems with homing in my G-code initialization that just didn't seem correct. I finally gave up using an initial sequence and instead use a combination of a home move and Pronterface jog commands to get to the desired z initial position, I use a G92 command in my initial Gcode to set the origin and start my G-code. It wasn't pretty but it worked.

This weekend, I was using my CNC to validate some 3D measurement devices by moving them to known positions. I have a simple list of positions that I want the tool to move to. When, I run/print this script (and a simplified version that just moves the z axis +-100mm), After a frustrating afternoon, I finally figured out that if I just load/run a G-code file the z axis only moves approximately +-50mm when it should move +-100mm. But, if I jog z up/down .1 mm and then print the G-code the z movements are correct. In hindsight, this explains the problems I had with homing.

Can anyone explain what's going on??? It seems like Pronterface is sending some necessary initialization to the Marlin firmware when I jog the z axis. I already send G code commands for setting mm and absolute position. The x and y axis are always ok. What Gcode is needed to get the z axis working correctly. I'm running modifed Marlin firmware from this summer that works with the MAX6675 and Toshiba drivers.
Re: Marlin/Pronterface initial Gcode voodoo
February 17, 2013 09:36PM
Any axis will only move so far if it hasn't been homed. If the firmware doesn't know where home is, it limits how far things can move away from home. I'd start there. Make sure your Z is truly homed and that your firmware knows it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login