Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level

Posted by Kasahabo 
Re: Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level
August 19, 2015 08:26AM
I melted and warped the original corners on my kit, then replaced those with aluminum, and replaced the steppers with some really nice strong steppers. Now my machine is super quiet and the motors barely get warm over hours of use. If it's a quick print they are cool to the touch, since they are all metal. I can't recommend replacing those steppers enough.
August 19, 2015 10:19AM
seriouspete
I melted and warped the original corners on my kit, then replaced those with aluminum, and replaced the steppers with some really nice strong steppers. Now my machine is super quiet and the motors barely get warm over hours of use. If it's a quick print they are cool to the touch, since they are all metal. I can't recommend replacing those steppers enough.

I did the same. smiling smiley can you link where you got your steppers? I am not sure but I think I am getting some missed steps and its shifting my prints half way through
August 19, 2015 10:37AM
Seriouspete

I replaced the steppers as well. I personally think folgertech should have provided better/bigger steppers instead of aluminum corners on the rev b as it solves the heat problem and is likely cheaper (they already have to buy steppers, buying higher torque ones is an incremental expense). The only drawback is space under the bed gets a bit tight with bigger steppers, especially if you have dampers on them which I do.

Edit: I bought these motors: [www.ebay.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2015 10:45AM by wrangellboy.
August 19, 2015 10:40AM
Rattfink
seriouspete

I did the same. smiling smiley can you link where you got your steppers? I am not sure but I think I am getting some missed steps and its shifting my prints half way through

I grabbed mine off of ebay from a local seller. With shipping I think I spent 12.50 per stepper motor.
August 19, 2015 10:42AM
I have a question about auto leveling. I've mechanically leveled the bed as well as I can. I replaced the z-probe with a FSR setup using a JohnSL controller and I get very consistent results from running g29 and pasting the output into excel. However, it doesn't seem to affect the print whatsoever. I still end up with inconsistency in test patterns and uneven first layers pretty much every print.

Do I need to do something other than just run G29 to save the values? I run G29 before every print after warming the bed and hot end and it just seems to do nothing compared to not running G29.
August 19, 2015 03:19PM
wrangellboy
Seriouspete

I replaced the steppers as well. I personally think folgertech should have provided better/bigger steppers instead of aluminum corners on the rev b as it solves the heat problem and is likely cheaper (they already have to buy steppers, buying higher torque ones is an incremental expense). The only drawback is space under the bed gets a bit tight with bigger steppers, especially if you have dampers on them which I do.

Something to keep in mind with the warped corners: It's not the heat alone from the motors... - it's the heated corners coupled with the tension of the belts pulling up on the pulley. Even with PLA I hope your motors don't get hot enough to melt the corners... but yeah, metal corners should be standard IMO.
August 19, 2015 05:51PM
Seriouspete

Thanks for the reply. Now I'm thinking I should replace the steppers. Do you have a link to the ones you used? Does it fit the printer pretty easy with not many modifications?

Thanks
August 19, 2015 05:54PM
davidf01
Seriouspete

Thanks for the reply. Now I'm thinking I should replace the steppers. Do you have a link to the ones you used? Does it fit the printer pretty easy with not many modifications?

Thanks

3 posts back... nema 17, 12v, 4 wire, 76 ounce, 0.8 amp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2015 05:59PM by thevisad.
August 19, 2015 06:12PM
cman8
+1 On this rework. I downloaded and printed this design and works 10x better than the old extruder used to. Havent had any issues with it and prints are getting dialed in for sure. Between this and the dual fans on the hot end, everything is printing nice including overhangs which is what I was having issues with.

Hey there - i like the motor coolers that you have in green - could you link the STL?
August 19, 2015 06:16PM
Rattfink
I should add that Hatchbox is pretty cheap and has been pretty good for me - plus amazon prime w/free shipping

Thanks for the info on Hatchbox. I ordered the printer with one spool filament from Folger. Is Hatchbox better then the filament I'll get from Folger? I will try it on my next order.
August 19, 2015 06:20PM
SlowFoot
davidf01
thevisad
davidf01
SlowFoot

I got a couple of fans for cooling plastic and electronics, a spare thermistor (to check temperatures), and some cork to insulate the heat bed and motors. Oh, and a mk8 extruder pulley, you print the rest of the extruder once the printer is up and running. Most the parts you will want to have for upgrades you can print. You are going from buyer to maker now.

Cheers!

Thanks everyone for the advice. Slowfoot, Did you see a need for the fans for cooling, cork and the mk8 extruder? Do you think those things offer extra protection or are better quality parts?
Is it worth me adding an LCD display or should I just add one later if I find it nessary?

Yes, you will definitely need cooling fans on the motors or you will melt the corners. The cork assists in keeping the temperature in the bed and not on your electronics. It would be a good idea to replace the extruder as well, maybe as the first print.

Thanks again for the advice. Do you have links or parts numbers of the parts you bought? And is it easy to hook the fans up for a beginer like myself? Also I have read that this printer produces good prints but I cant fine specs on what the printing resolution is, Do you know the specs on this printer? Also it looks like the REV B printer have metal corners, is this true or is the picture on the web site not accurate?

I got my stuff from RepRapMe together with some cheep PLA. They are located in Denmark so there might be more convenient sources if you are located outside the EU. The fans for motors and electronics can run directly from the power supply.
The the cooling for the plastic can be controlled by the electronics and the G-code, The printer will work without it so you can add it later, you have to print some parts for it anyhow. It will improve print quality. The kits extruder is not the best for the task and replacing it is an easy improvement. You will not be the first doing all this so I think you can make it.

Great thanks for the info. I placed my order and when I finish building it I'm sure I will have a bunch of questions about using it and upgrading it. I want to get the best print quality I can from this printer.

Thanks again
August 19, 2015 06:50PM
hey all! new to this forum. I received my kit from folgertech and finally got it to the point to start configuring. In their configuration manual they mention lowering the hot head until it pinches a piece of paper between the hothead and the bed. What I am experiencing is the hothead will only go down to a specific height and not go any further even though instructions were sent. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so how were you able to make it work.
August 19, 2015 07:02PM
moeman
hey all! new to this forum. I received my kit from folgertech and finally got it to the point to start configuring. In their configuration manual they mention lowering the hot head until it pinches a piece of paper between the hothead and the bed. What I am experiencing is the hothead will only go down to a specific height and not go any further even though instructions were sent. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so how were you able to make it work.

Theres these lines in the Config.h file >(line 324 in my FW) #define min_software_endstops true // If true, axis won't move to coordinates less than HOME_POS.
#define max_software_endstops true // If true, axis won't move to coordinates greater than the defined lengths below. < change to false but be careful! and remember to change it back after calibration.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2015 07:06PM by Flish.
August 19, 2015 09:04PM
thevisad
I grabbed mine off of ebay from a local seller. With shipping I think I spent 12.50 per stepper motor.

Thanks! i grabbed a set...
August 19, 2015 09:06PM
davidf01
Thanks for the info on Hatchbox. I ordered the printer with one spool filament from Folger. Is Hatchbox better then the filament I'll get from Folger? I will try it on my next order.

I am pretty new to this whole thing also - i have ordered ABS from folgertech, but not tried it yet
August 20, 2015 12:22AM
Rattfink
cman8
+1 On this rework. I downloaded and printed this design and works 10x better than the old extruder used to. Havent had any issues with it and prints are getting dialed in for sure. Between this and the dual fans on the hot end, everything is printing nice including overhangs which is what I was having issues with.

Hey there - i like the motor coolers that you have in green - could you link the STL?

Sure. here it is on thingiverse

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2015 12:22AM by cman8.
August 20, 2015 12:30AM
Does everybody agree the steppers are a huge upgrade? Better prints?
August 20, 2015 12:43AM
cman8

I've upgraded mine twice....

Once to get rid of the heat warping problem, just bought three motors from Folgertech, the same that came with the kit for extruder.

Just recently I upgraded the steppers to 0.9 degree steppers to get a bit more resolution/precision

The first upgrade I did did nothing for the quality of the prints, the second did a little to the print quality but not really worth it, but I would definitely get the 0.9 degree steppers if I were sourcing parts for a new printer, but as an upgrade.....
I upgraded the electronics when I upgraded the steppers the last time, the increase in steps/mm for those steppers is pushing the mega beyond it's capabilities.

Actually the only things left from Folgertechs kit I have left is:

Powersupply
Hotbed
Hotend
Horizontal extrusions
40mm fan (hot end)
Endstop switches
Springs for belts
Acrylic mount for the hotbed
Acrylic mount for the powersupply
Acrylic endstops (lower)
Some bolts and nuts (have changed most of them though)

The rest is changed.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2015 12:53AM by Koenig.
August 20, 2015 08:16AM
So do the replacement steppers just mount and plug in and are ready to go or is there some kind of configuration changes that have to be made?
August 20, 2015 08:23AM
davidf01
So do the replacement steppers just mount and plug in and are ready to go or is there some kind of configuration changes that have to be made?

They just mount, you do need to change your vRef for the motors you are using.
August 20, 2015 08:44AM
davidf01

If you are going for 0.9 degree motors you have to change the steps/mm in the firmware.

There might also be some questionmarks regarding the cables, not all manufacturers use the same colors, but not to hard to figure out.
August 20, 2015 09:38AM
Koenig
cman8

Once to get rid of the heat warping problem, just bought three motors from Folgertech, the same that came with the kit for extruder.

Just recently I upgraded the steppers to 0.9 degree steppers to get a bit more resolution/precision

The first upgrade I did did nothing for the quality of the prints, the second did a little to the print quality but not really worth it, but I would definitely get the 0.9 degree steppers if I were sourcing parts for a new printer, but as an upgrade.....
I upgraded the electronics when I upgraded the steppers the last time, the increase in steps/mm for those steppers is pushing the mega beyond it's capabilities.

Powersupply
Hotbed
Hotend
Horizontal extrusions
40mm fan (hot end)
Endstop switches
Springs for belts
Acrylic endstops (lower)

The rest is changed.

What electronics did you upgrade to? I've been looking at the Duet, but it's too expensive to buy the newest version from the UK and replikeo is a revision behind and looks to have shoddy QC. Don't see anyone on here mentioning smoothieboard or it's clones...
August 20, 2015 09:56AM
wrangellboy
Koenig
cman8

Powersupply
Hotbed
Hotend
Horizontal extrusions
40mm fan (hot end)
Endstop switches
Springs for belts
Acrylic endstops (lower)

The rest is changed.

What electronics did you upgrade to? I've been looking at the Duet, but it's too expensive to buy the newest version from the UK and replikeo is a revision behind and looks to have shoddy QC. Don't see anyone on here mentioning smoothieboard or it's clones...

I got the Duet from Replikeo, I had to solder one of the USB-lugs but otherwise, it was OK.
I also moved the connector for the external 5V regulator so that both PCB's are lining up, but this was not necessary as I'm not using it, but OCD is hard to overcome.... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
For me and for now this will be OK, not going to add an extra extruder, however, if dc42's idea of an expansionboard with exchangeable stepsticks come to reality I will definitely get that, I miss my DVR8825's, they made the printer so much more quiet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2015 09:56AM by Koenig.
August 20, 2015 12:07PM
Ok so while I'm waiting for my printer to be delivered I have been reviewing the documentation to assemble the printer. All I see on the google docs page is a DRAFT REV B build guide pdf. Is that the latest vesion
and does anyone know if there are any mistakes in the guide that I should watch out for? Reading through this form I see lots of comments about wrong directions and I'm just wondering if things have been corrected in the build guide.

Also I never installed firmware on a printer and cant find the directions on the google docs page on how to do it. Is there information that ships with the printer? Also there is a pdf about tuning your Pololu stepper driver board, Is that something I
will have to do or is that only if there is some kind of problem?

Again thanks for all your input so far.
August 20, 2015 03:41PM
These are the ones I bought, Ebay. I'd buy them again if I ever build another printer.

Edit. I also upgraded my electronics to a Smoothieboard, I am really happy with that too. Makes configuration extremely easy, and it's a High Quality board that works right out of the box. Their documentation is pretty good too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2015 03:46PM by Seriouspete.
August 20, 2015 06:05PM
Seriouspete
These are the ones I bought, Ebay. I'd buy them again if I ever build another printer.

Edit. I also upgraded my electronics to a Smoothieboard, I am really happy with that too. Makes configuration extremely easy, and it's a High Quality board that works right out of the box. Their documentation is pretty good too.

I ordered the same steppers yesterday, also ordered a Smoothieboard from Uberclock. How long did it take for you to get your Smoothieboard? Ordered this extruder today, I think it will work well.

Steve
August 20, 2015 08:48PM
So I can get this straight I should plan on updating or adding:

1. update stepper motors to either the 76oz motors Seriouspete posted or the 0.9° step angle motors Koenig posted a few posts above.
2. update electronics to a Smoothieboard or some other board
3. update the extruder
4. Add some cooling fans to the steppers, or will upgrading them be good enough?

Anything else I'm missing?
August 20, 2015 09:49PM
cman8
Sure. here it is on thingiverse

Thanks dude - printing now..
August 20, 2015 10:07PM
davidf01

1. update stepper motors to either the 76oz motors Seriouspete posted or the 0.9° step angle motors Koenig posted a few posts above.
3. update the extruder
4. Add some cooling fans to the steppers, or will upgrading them be good enough?

What I would do if I were you, is get the printer, put it together, get it set up and working rite then you can upgrade the components if you want to. It prints really well the way it is. I've had mine about 3 1/2 months and use it daily and it's stock but now I want to make it better. Just my 2 cents worth..

Steve
August 20, 2015 10:11PM
3D52
davidf01

3. update the extruder

What I would do if I were you, is get the printer, put it together, get it set up and working rite then you can upgrade the components if you want to. It prints really well the way it is. I've had mine about 3 1/2 months and use it daily and it's stock but now I want to make it better. Just my 2 cents worth..

Steve

+1 on this. get the kinks out. learn what needs to be adjusted and get it printing right. Then start upgrading to get even better quality prints. Thatas what Ive been doing and having a blast doing so.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login