Full Color 3d Print Idea.
June 14, 2013 05:22PM
I was looking around the internet and found this video. It's a guy dying 3d printed abs parts. So that gave me an idea... Why not put a inkjet printer head on a 3d printer and spay dye on the parts while they are being made.

I'm not sure if this will work but I thought I would share the idea. Is anyone working on this already? I couldn't find anything.
Re: Full Color 3d Print Idea.
June 25, 2013 11:04AM
I also think this is the way forward. It's how commercial colour SLS printers work, so it's not a new idea, just I don't think anyone has successfully applied it to FDM style printers.
Re: Full Color 3d Print Idea.
June 26, 2013 05:30PM
Well, actually, the way commercial (powder) printers work, is they use an ink cartridge to dye the fusing liquid just before it is applied to a given location. Check out the Iris printer, it has really impressive coloring. The z machines unit is nice too, but both are still a bit steep for most of us. I have heard (unsubstantiated) somebody claiming to be able to dither filament. I'll believe that one when I see the output. I am developing a machine with 7 extruders for multi color / material. While full color is nice, I feel that the technology barrier is a lot lower and most models, corporate pieces, prototypes can be made using 7 colors or fewer. The problem that you encounter when mixing on the fly for FDM is how do you handle retraction? What about tiny details, consider the precision needed to color a piece say 1 mm in dia, in a field of a different color. I do believe you could potentially dye neutral colored filament on the fly, but you'd be left to start from scratch on the slicer and firmware. And who's to say what the memory requirements would be?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login