Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

heatbed won't stay on

Posted by tmbg 
heatbed won't stay on
July 18, 2012 06:56PM
I've. been printing on a cold bed in PLA because I didn't have a spare thermistor for the heatbed. I finally got a thermistor and got it wired up, but I can't get the bed to stay on! In pronterface, if I manually set the bed temp, the mosfet comes on, the light lights up, and the bed starts to warm, and I can see the temperature climb in pronterface, but after a few seconds it switches back off and won't come on again for awhile. Temperature got up as high as 59C the first time, but now it usually switches off in the 40s.

What am I doing wrong?
Re: heatbed won't stay on
July 18, 2012 07:47PM
Measure the resistance of your heatbed, there have been a couple of reports recently of heatbed PCBs with slightly under spec resistance, meaning they draw too much power and trip the thermal fuse. I think theres a bad batch of PCBs out there, but they do work perfectly well if you can keep the fuse from tripping, pointing a fan at it should do the trick. Or, as a last resort, bypass the larger of the two fuses on the RAMPS board.
July 18, 2012 08:02PM
Position a fan to blow over the resettable fuse on the RAMPS board.
My MK2 board measures ~1.1 OHMS and that's enough without cooling such that the fuse overheats and cuts out power. Once the fuse trips, you pretty much have to power off and give it a few seconds to cool.
With the fan I have no issues, and it has the nice advantage of also blowing over the stepper heat sinks making the pot settings a bit less critical.
July 19, 2012 01:11AM
It was the fuse... it's getting VERY hot... however, my heatbed measures 1.3 ohms, which is what I expect!

I mounted a fan blowing across the fuse, and that helps, but it's still not perfect yet. I'd like to design a nice ducted case to pull air through.
July 19, 2012 04:17AM
Perhaps the fuse is the wrong value. A common mistake is to confuse holding current with fusing current, there is a 1:2 ratio.

What are the markings on it?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login