Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

XBox 360 PSU confusion

Posted by SheldonE 
XBox 360 PSU confusion
May 27, 2014 06:47PM
I'm near the end of my Prusa i3 build and I'm confused over how to wire an xbox 360 psu up to RAMPS 1.4. Do I just connect the yellow 12V wires to both the 11A and 5A connectors? What do I do with the 5V wire? is it just connected to the standby wire? I read REPRAPSQUADs blog about it, do I really need the 12 AWG wire?
Re: XBox 360 PSU confusion
May 27, 2014 07:17PM
The 11A circuit only feeds the heated bed. If you don't have one, you don't need to hook up the 11A power at all.

With that said, you might want to double-check your power budget math with the xbox 360 power supply, as I'm not certain that it can provide enough 12V amperage to run both the heated bed and rest of the printer reliably.....
May 27, 2014 10:50PM
vreihen
The 11A circuit only feeds the heated bed. If you don't have one, you don't need to hook up the 11A power at all.

Still doesn't answer my question.

you might want to double-check your power budget math

11A + 5A < 16.5A Check!

EDIT: Re-reading my post, it sounds a little rude, please note that was not my intent. I should proof read more...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2014 11:25PM by SheldonE.
May 28, 2014 07:37AM
No offense taken. I'm just pointing out that per published RepRap wisdom, a printer with a heated bed needs 220-240 watts of 12V power and the biggest xbox 360 power supply is only 203 watts:

http://reprap.org/wiki/Power_Supply

RepRap wiki
There are several versions, choose the 203W version. Note that the power may be insufficient for some heated beds. The PSU will shutdown if an overload occurs

http://teamreprap.blogspot.com/2011/10/frugally-powering-heated-bed.html

teamreprap
Hindsight says I should have picked a power supply with 20+ amps to power my reprap from the start, but since I'm using RAMPs - it's really easy to use a separate power supply for only the heated bed. For me, a 203W X-Box 360 Power Supply has proven to be a functional, cheap solution for powering the heated bed or the electronics (~17 amps is not enough for both).

It might work fine for you, or it might keep popping the circuit breaker six hours in to an 8-hour print job.

Your RAMPS board does not have a 5V input, so you don't need to use those wires as long as you're getting 5V on-board from the RAMPS regulators or the USB port power. You will probably need to tie the standby wire either high (+5V) or low (ground) to get the PSU to turn on. Insert disclaimer that I don't have an xbox, and haven't tried this personally.....
May 28, 2014 08:35AM
Many thanks, answers my question. No great loss here, I had planned on only working with PLA to begin with and to modify my box frame Prusa i3 into a Wilson TS. Thanks again.
May 28, 2014 09:04AM
Right the theories about the xbox 360 cannot run a 3d printer it can and it does with mine with
The 5v needs to be joined to the vcc wire i use a switch on those wires although you can put it on ramps 5v and vcc and use m80 and m81 gcode to turn printer on and off there. I put the yellow wires together to give me two 12v outputs same with the black ground i have a fan spliced into my loom and my printer hasnt suffered no power issues

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
May 28, 2014 09:15AM
Ps its 120 watts not 220-240 check the ratings and use a calculator 12v 10amps put it in a online calculator that works out the watage anyway i have a 360 psu it works

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
June 26, 2014 06:18PM
See, mine doesn't work...

I also got blended by reading on it on all corners, including marlin has settings for it and so on... so I thought it's good to go with a standard up-to-date printer, which includes a heated bed imho.

Result was the psu switching to red every time I printed ABS with it... however I only used the 12v rail.

Possible that when applying load to the 5V rail the 12V get more stable.... Also be sure to take good wires for the heated bed, too small diameter wires takes up additional wattage...
June 26, 2014 06:23PM
chris33
he 5v needs to be joined to the vcc wire i use a switch on those wires

I don get that one
September 12, 2014 06:14PM
Xbox 360 power supplies are so cheap though why not just run 2? 1 for 11a heated bed and one for the 5a supply for the rest of the printer hell buy several then you can use them on other machines and stuff too smiling smiley

Ben
September 15, 2014 01:55PM
plexer
Xbox 360 power supplies are so cheap though why not just run 2? 1 for 11a heated bed and one for the 5a supply for the rest of the printer hell buy several then you can use them on other machines and stuff too smiling smiley
Because most switching power supplies don't like to be ran in parallel with one another. If you can guarantee that they won't share a common supply or ground plane, that's fine. But weird things can happen if they do share a ground plane. By the time you deal with the hassle of isolating things as well as paying for two power supplies, you might have well bought a single power supply that's big enough. It's not like our power demands are that much or require super clean power.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login