Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print comes up on first layer

Posted by Bertsjuhn 
Print comes up on first layer
June 03, 2014 08:05AM
Hi,

I have a question regarding bed adhesion.
When printing the first layer everything looks fine, but after a few lines of filament have been layed down, it starts to come up a bit.
When the filament comes up from the bed it sticks to the nozzle and gets dragged a bit.

While printing the bed is 85 and the nozzle is 180 degrees.

It is hard to explain, the picture might explain this a little bit better:

Who knows the solution to my problem? smiling smiley
Re: Print comes up on first layer
June 03, 2014 09:29AM
Try putting down some painters tape over the bed it will help the PLA adhere to the bed. smiling smiley
June 03, 2014 09:47AM
Currently I do have kapton tape on the bed.
June 03, 2014 03:57PM
Don't switch to blue tape if you already have Kapton, the bed should be 55-60° for PLA and I print between 195 and 205 depending on speed. Try sanding the Kapton with some 1200 grit emery paper, the filament will catch in the small scratches and make it stick at least 50% better.
June 03, 2014 04:49PM
I do not think that it is an adhesion problem, since most prints stick so well that I need to crack them lose when done and cold.
June 03, 2014 05:41PM
Surely if it's lifting off it's an adhesion problem.
June 03, 2014 06:45PM
See the way the skirt is lifting? Your print head is too high. The first layer should be smooshed a little into the bed.

Dilute PVA glue is fantastic for sticking PLA to the heated bed, especially over Kapton.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
June 04, 2014 07:03AM
I lifted the skirt myself afterwords to check how well they stick to the kapton
June 04, 2014 07:50AM
Perimeters and skirt will stick better than infill as they are laid down slower. Infill is usually done at a higher speed but even if you're running it all at the same speed anything on a diagonal will be at a higher speed as x and y move in unison which covers more distance. With the extra speed the filament won't stick quite as well as the perimeter. I've had the exact same issue on fresh Kapton, after I lightly sanded it I have not had a problem with adhesion.
June 04, 2014 10:41AM
Ok, i will get some 1200Grid sandpaper and see if that will solve my problem.
I will also clean my kapton with Windex.
June 04, 2014 10:46AM
Too hot, at least in my view it's a blatant problem. Blistering is from too hot of a bed, secondarily from an incorrect Z-height. 55 is the keystone surface temp for PLA. On my Solidoodle that translates to detected temp of 58. Anything 70 and above will blister.
That it isn't even, that it's more prominent in the middle/larger areas, tells me it's too hot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2014 10:52AM by MrDoctorDIV.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
June 04, 2014 10:49AM
Here's where it's explained better.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login