Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Retraction tuning

Posted by SupraGuy 
Retraction tuning
October 16, 2018 11:32AM
I printed a phone holder, which I intended to put on my dashboard, and I'm having some print issues that I'd like to resolve.

This is printed in PETg at 0.2mm layer height, at 240 deg C. 55mms, 2 perimeters, random seams. The photo was taken with a flash to highlight the issue.

So I've got some ringing on the Y axis at this print speed, it seems a little better on the X axis though. I can probably play with print speeds and acceleration to adjust that. Speed isn't my concern though, it't the little zits that I'm getting on the layers at the perimeter seams. i'm pretty sure that this is a retraction thing, but I'm not sure what it is that I want to tune to get this fixed.

I'm using this printer pretty much exclusively with PETG, and using my Makerbot clone pretty much exclusively with ABS. I'm not having this problem with the Makerbot clone, which is using the same retraction settings, though of course it's a different filament. It's also a different print head style, which I think may be more relevant.

Slic3r has retraction set as 2mm, with a 0.4mm Z lift at 60mm/s. I'll have to check but I may have 1200mm/min set as a maximum E speed, so chances are that that's as fast as it' will retract. (I'd be willing to bump that up if it'll help.) I'm reasonably confident that I have my extrusion steps/mm correct (Or at least pretty close) I'm getting a fairly nice solid layer fill. I do get a little build-up of molten plastic on the nozzle with solid fill, but it's not bad.

Next project is a dash cam holder to get rid of the stupid windshield suction cup mount.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
Re: Retraction tuning
October 17, 2018 10:19AM
Well, since 2mm seems like it should be plenty for retraction, I played with speeds last night. I doubled E maximum speed, (Still not as fast as Slic3r is asking for) which seems to help, but I still get those little pimples on the perimeters.. I thought that might get better with 3 perimeters, but... Apparently not.

At this point though I think retraction is okay, because oozing problems that I was having seem to be much better, just increasing speeds.The perimeter blobs seem to be a different issue. I suppose that I might be okay with aligning the seams for most parts, then at least there's just the one place to smooth.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login