Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

wades gear

Posted by Diman 
wades gear
March 14, 2014 07:59AM
Hi folks

I've just got my brand new shiny Mendel90 built and testet, seems to work ok, gotta tweak som more settings but for now i'm happy.
My first thought is to replicate the parts that are used most - wades extrudes gears. I have mine greased, but i'd be much more comfortable
to have a set of new gears lying on the shelf .. just in case...
So i read that they need to be printed with .35 nozzle - is that correct ?
and if so, where can I buy a .35 nozzle for my current hotend.
Or is it OK to just print the gears using the .4mm nozzle

Thanks
Re: wades gear
March 14, 2014 10:56AM
I used to print them with a 0.35mm nozzle and 0.3mm layers but now I use a 0.45mm nozzle and 0.2mm layers, so a 0.4mm nozzle should be able to print them.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 14, 2014 02:52PM
Allright, thanks Nophead smiling smiley
The gears in the kit - are they ABS or PLA ?
BTW the kit is solid and i'm very happy with my purchase.
March 14, 2014 04:10PM
The gears in the kit are ABS, you can print the gears in PLA though. The only things you may not want to print in PLA are the wades block, x carriage and fan (ie, anything that is close to the hotend).
March 14, 2014 04:26PM
My gears wore out and got slack after about 6 months and I printed new ones in PLA with a 0.4 nozzle.
(I've gone through about 20kg of filament since I built the machine)
The extruder block developed cracks recently so I reprinted that in PLA.
I modified the X carriage to mount a 40mm fan to cool the top of the E3D hotend and that is ok in PLA.
I just tried touching the printbed cooling fan housing that I printed in PLA and it is warm but not hot. (The hotend is covered in tape as nophead earlier recommended)
The X-motor housing developed cracks after 5 months or so but liberal doses of epoxy fixed it. It doesn't look easy to reprint with the overhangs but those don't really seem necessary.
So I would say there is nothing that needs to be printed in ABS.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 05:03PM by Ralph.Hilton.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login