Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trouble with infills - gaps and other artefacts - slic3r settings

Posted by dannystaple 
Trouble with infills - gaps and other artefacts - slic3r settings
December 15, 2014 06:04PM
So with my Ormerod 2, I've attempted some of the demo prints - the ones that are pre-sliced already - and have some reasonably passable results for the snowman and the whistle:

But then I attempted to make a snowflake, and the fan guard- both a little ambitious, and my first contact with slicer. And I get a different story - sections missing, fills not quite making it to the perimeter.

I am currently fiddling with slicer - given the good result I got for the snowman and whistle, I am sure I should be able to get better for the fan backwash part. Admittedly - the snowflake has some extreme angles - although the perimeter came out fairly well on it.

Any advice on slicer settings - would slowing stuff right down help? these attempts were with close to the reprappro defaults - I'm going to try again with settings closer to those used in the snowman (the header has slic3r settings).

; generated by Slic3r 0.9.10b on 2014-12-13 at 16:02:45

; layer_height = 0.24
; perimeters = 2
; top_solid_layers = 3
; bottom_solid_layers = 2
; fill_density = 0.3
; perimeter_speed = 45
; infill_speed = 45
; travel_speed = 250
; nozzle_diameter = 0.5
; filament_diameter = 1.75
; extrusion_multiplier = 1
; perimeters extrusion width = 0.85mm
; infill extrusion width = 0.87mm
; solid infill extrusion width = 0.85mm
; top infill extrusion width = 0.85mm
; first layer extrusion width = 0.80mm

Reprappro Ormerod2 (528.2, Duet 0.6, firmware 1.18.1 (2017-04-09), web interface Christian Hammacher 1.15a, Cura) & CNC 3020 (GRBL)
Re: Trouble with infills - gaps and other artefacts - slic3r settings
December 16, 2014 02:56AM
dannystaple

; generated by Slic3r 0.9.10b on 2014-12-13 at 16:02:45

; layer_height = 0.24
; perimeters = 2
; top_solid_layers = 3
; bottom_solid_layers = 2
; fill_density = 0.3
; perimeter_speed = 45
; infill_speed = 45
; travel_speed = 250
; nozzle_diameter = 0.5
; filament_diameter = 1.75
; extrusion_multiplier = 1
; perimeters extrusion width = 0.85mm
; infill extrusion width = 0.87mm
; solid infill extrusion width = 0.85mm
; top infill extrusion width = 0.85mm
; first layer extrusion width = 0.80mm

Slic3r will normally set the extrusion multiplier to nozzle size unless you force it in expert setting, you could try again with those settings at default

..also you extrusion mulitplier is = 1, you may have to print a single wall and measure and adjust that number accordantly if you haven't done so (my normal EM setting is 0.80)

Edit: "travel_speed = 250" - wow!, Is that the new normal??, sound a bit excessive to me, my setting is 80
..and remember to measure you filament and put in the correct number, can easily vary +-0.1mm from whats listed on the spool

Erik

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2014 03:03AM by ormerod168.
December 16, 2014 08:49AM
ormerod168
Slic3r will normally set the extrusion multiplier to nozzle size unless you force it in expert setting, you could try again with those settings at default

I think you meant "extrusion width" rather than extrusion multiplier.

I agree, more than 0.8mm is far too high. If left at default (0) slic3r does indeed set it to the nozzle diameter, though a bit smaller (e.g. 0.4mm) is supposedly better and is what several other slicing programs use, though 0.5mm has worked OK for me. Also agreed that the extrusion multiplier must usually be set lower than 1, with most people finding that something between 0.8 and 0.85 is necessary. I use 100mm/s for travel speed - it does not affect the print quality and so can be as fast as the printer can handle without skipping steps. Bear in mind that the firmware contains a default max travel rate (quite low, I think around 50mm/s) which will not be exceeded no matter how high you make that setting. The max speed can be changed via a M203 command (parameters are in mm per minute rather than per second). I have a line in my start code to set the max at 100mm/s on X and Y:

M203 X6000 Y6000 Z500 E3000

My normal print speed is 70mm/s, with perimeters at 80% speed and first layer at 50%. Any faster and my extruder starts skipping on long lines.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2014 08:49AM by dmould.
December 16, 2014 09:07AM
dmould
I think you meant "extrusion width" rather than extrusion multiplier.

Dave

Yes, thank you!

Erik
December 16, 2014 02:56PM
ormerod168
Edit: "travel_speed = 250" - wow!, Is that the new normal??, sound a bit excessive to me, my setting is 80

That sounds quite slow, don't you have any problems with ooze? I've been running my Ormerod at travel speeds of ~200mm/sec ever since dc42 made his Move improvements and I haven't had problems with missed steps. I used to have problems with older (ancient) firmware versions (0.5x), but now it's alright as far as I can tell.

Btw, my extrusion multiplier is 0.82. I wonder why it's way less than 1.0 though, especially because I remember someone from RRP saying it should be around 0.97-1.0. Well, that value works for my machine, so I'll keep it either way.
December 16, 2014 05:42PM
I've certainly had no missed steps - so that doesn't appear to be a problem - and these are based upon loading the config files from the ormerod github repo.
I'll play with the extrusion width - talking with another guy who does this he suggested this too.
I am thinking of taking the fan print, and limiting it to the bottom 3mm to see if I can get a better infill pattern. That way I can play without trying the whole print.

Reprappro Ormerod2 (528.2, Duet 0.6, firmware 1.18.1 (2017-04-09), web interface Christian Hammacher 1.15a, Cura) & CNC 3020 (GRBL)
December 17, 2014 07:12AM
dannystaple
I've certainly had no missed steps - so that doesn't appear to be a problem - and these are based upon loading the config files from the ormerod github repo.
But are you sending an M203 in command to allow speeds that high? If not the moves will be limited to the default max speed and the 200mm/s set speed is being ignored ...

Dave
December 17, 2014 08:08AM
The default max XY speed in the RepRapPro config.g for 0.78c firmware is now 15000 mm/min, which is 250mm/sec.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 17, 2014 08:12AM
I was using dc's 78y firmware for these prints.

December 18, 2014 01:30PM
zombiepantslol
ormerod168

That sounds quite slow, don't you have any problems with ooze?

Yes I do actually, especially with ABS, I kept the setting low because the nozzle was bumping on fragments from the skinny infill's from slicing, is cured in the new version of Simplify3d, so I'm up to speed now - baby is flying mip-mip!

Erik
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login