Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing layers in 60 microns - success

Posted by markbee 
Re: Printing layers in 60 microns - success
January 12, 2014 10:54AM
rayhicks
Printing many test files from SD has highlighted another problem (which may be repetier host-based, or may be a limitation of the the firmware) - once I get 24 files in the gcode directory, I need to pop the SD out and delete some using my mac - there seems to be a limit of 24 files

I just checked, and there is indeed a limit of 24 files in the firmware source code. The M30 command to delete SD files doesn't appear to be implemented yet. I'm printing all my files via USB at present, the only snag is that I have to keep the computer turned on.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Printing layers in 40microns with no workaround- success
January 12, 2014 01:25PM
Thanks to DC's fix, we can now print at high resolution without the workaround - I printed a new set of Z gears and have attached a photo below showing the orginal RRP one (as a common reference) and one sliced at 0.04mm (sorry Ian, it would have taken a day longer to print at 4 micron:p). I used 40 percent infill every 3 layers (so infill was 0.12mm). Looks like I'm still under-retracting, but the extrusion seems very good, and there's no (or little) z banding. The height of the original gear is 13.15 mm, and so is the 0.04mm sliced version - which I take to mean that there isn't much error in Z (there were 328 layers in this).

to my eye, the blue gear looks pretty smooth and matt (though I can see the layers on the orange gear at the same distance) - the microscope/web cam I'm using shows more detail, and makes the blue look out of focus (but it isn't). I didn't remove any whiskers, and the blue gear is as-printed (no sanding/filing) I think a light snading and some acetone and it'll look like it's injection moulded.

[edit] also, the horizontal edges, eg on the top surface, feel SHARP and smooth, the vertical edges show some drift, probably because of y belt tension and slippage of the table top relative to the table, and some noticeable lack of constraint in rotation about Z (I'm not sure if my Y bearing mounts are loose or the vertical rib under the bed that they mount to has play, will check this soon) [ /edit]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2014 02:05PM by rayhicks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login