Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Design idea - fixation and tightening of the y-drive belt

Posted by markbee 
Re: Design idea - fixation and tightening of the y-drive belt
January 16, 2014 10:45AM
Looks great! Time to fire up my printer again. I'll put some washers under one of them to get a suitable tension.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 16, 2014 10:49AM
Awesome, Matt!

Markus

XBee & electronics blog: [lookmanowire.blogspot.com]
January 16, 2014 11:09AM
January 16, 2014 11:09AM
Brilliant, thanks for sharing Matt
January 16, 2014 11:38AM
Nice work smiling smiley

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
www.zoomworks.org - Free and Open Source Stuff smiling smiley
January 16, 2014 12:35PM
Your welcome guys,

I had pretty acceptable print quality already, the first print after applying the y belt tensioner is a vast improvement, I'll post a picture when its finished.

Matt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 03:26PM by iamburny.

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
January 16, 2014 02:14PM
Below is the improved results after correct Y belt tension has been acheived

Left/orange part is the RRP supplied original, Right/Blue is my print

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 03:19PM by iamburny.

January 16, 2014 02:29PM
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upwinking smiley
Perfect!

Dario
January 16, 2014 03:19PM
I am noticing that loads of people are having belt issues where they are loose, I am not seeing this issue myself, however I haven't printed that much yet due to getting used to Slic3rs settings, but both on my belts are that tight I can ping them like a guitar.

Paul

RS Ormerod No 436
January 16, 2014 03:20PM
Very smooth curves and some lovely sharp corners. Can I ask what layer height you printed at?

Will most definitely be printing these at the weekend, thanks for uploading them.

Is there any benefit from the idler tensioning method over this (rather elegant) solution? Do you get finer tensioning?

Dan.
January 16, 2014 03:23PM
"Ping!" as they should be Paul smiling smiley

The problems that a slack belt can cause were only evident in the more intricate of my prints, especially parts with small sticky out bits and sharp angles, one particular culprit that gave me problems was the Z Gear for the Ormerod, which is now not a problem.

It is also very important if you plan on ramping up the print speed, fast direction changes are extremely prone to cause stepping.

Matt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 03:25PM by iamburny.

January 16, 2014 03:34PM
@iamburny

Yeah LOL, it was very hard to get it as tight as this, one hand holding the printer on an angle and also holding one end of the belt and the other hand on the other end and tugging on both ends, took me sever tries to get it right.
I am starting to think about glue gun gunking it under the bed just in case smiling smiley

Paul

RS Ormerod No 436
January 16, 2014 04:13PM
@Dan - Some people had problems with the laser cut slots in the bed support rib not holding the belt together, if you don't have this problem, either solution is viable, the idler tensioner will be more accessible for tweaking if required. both require a fairly major strip down of the bed and re-leveling after. this is printed at 0.24mm, with pretty much standard (as supplied by RRP) slic3r settings, only changes are temp to 185, retraction to 2.5mm, skirt min 10mm at 8mm distance.

Matt

January 16, 2014 04:58PM
Thanks Matt

The slot in mine does hold the belt quite well but I could not get a great tension on it and prints seem to be suffering from the same issues you were having in the y direction.

Dan.
January 17, 2014 03:20AM
Very nice, thank you!

Howto service the ormerod undercarriage parts using a pair of clamps (to not overtighten)

Erik
January 17, 2014 04:23AM
Erik
Great idea, I have struggled to work on the underside of the bed, this makes it very easy.
I note in your photograph that you have produced a stabliser for the top of the Z drive threaded rod. Do you have a STL you could share for this part.

John

Ormerod 096
January 17, 2014 05:37AM
johneato
I note in your photograph that you have produced a stabliser for the top of the Z drive threaded rod. Do you have a STL you could share for this part.

John

Ormerod 096

I have made no changes to the z drive whatsoever, it's the original acryl and printed parts, must be an optical illusion :-)

..so nothing to share for now, not much free time at the moment, hope to be of more use later, had never got this far without the advices from all the great folks in this community

Erik
January 17, 2014 07:49AM
ormerod168
johneato

John

Ormerod 096

I have made no changes to the z drive whatsoever, it's the original acryl and printed parts, must be an optical illusion :-)

..so nothing to share for now, not much free time at the moment, hope to be of more use later, had never got this far without the advices from all the great folks in this community

Erik

@Erik I thought you had as well. I think it's because your x-axis arm is at full z hight which is a configuration mine has never been near, so seeing PLA around the threaded rod that high up made my brain assume stabiliser.

@John I have read in another thread a piece like this talked about but Ian explained it is designed not to be held at one end and doing so would be detrimental I believe to print quality but it may have been detrimental to the printers health.

Dan.
January 17, 2014 10:48AM
Erik, Dan
Your absolutely right Dan it is the X arms position which confused me when I looked at the picture.
Dan, I take your point about stabilising the top of the Z threaded rod, I'll leave it alone, but it just doesn't look right.
John
January 17, 2014 12:36PM
If I recall its also due to the rod isn't strait and you can see it wobble when the arm goes up and down, and fixing it at the top may/will cause it to wobble or pop out the bearing at the bottom.

Paul

RS Ormerod No 436
January 18, 2014 06:32AM
iamburny
Y Bed attachment parts to avoid slipage

Thought I'd add my similar non 3D printed solution here as it seems relevant..

More info Here

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
www.zoomworks.org - Free and Open Source Stuff smiling smiley
January 18, 2014 11:10AM
Hi,
I like to try ...
the tension in this way my grandfather used to ... and I'm not a kidsmiling smiley
very funny .... Ian Thanks as usual!

[www.dropbox.com]

Fixing a screw in my .... Nice!
Thanks Andy

Dario
January 18, 2014 05:05PM
johneato
Dan, I take your point about stabilising the top of the Z threaded rod, I'll leave it alone, but it just doesn't look right.
John

Don't worry about it, I think it's meant as an extra feature for those hawaiian customers, put a hula-hula sockpuppet on top and enjoy the show

grinning smiley
Erik
January 18, 2014 08:13PM
@iamburney, thanks for sharing your y-bed attachment parts design. I printed a pair and now at last I have a good tension in the y-belt.

There is one aspect of the design that I think could be improved. The belt between the y-attachment part and the y-idler bearing is no longer parallel to the y-axis.This is particularly apparent at y=0:

As a result, the total belt length, and hence the tension, will vary depending on the y-position. To correct this, the belt needs to go around the attachment part the other way. This could be achieved if the teeth were on the spool instead of the surround, for the part on that side.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 18, 2014 08:30PM
You could take the twist out of the belt, then it would go into the lower one.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 18, 2014 08:34PM
droftarts
You could take the twist out of the belt, then it would go into the lower one.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

I was assuming that if I did that, the belt wouldn't go round the idler bearing smoothly - but I guess you think it would be OK?

January 18, 2014 08:38PM
I *think* it will be okay. Try it.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 19, 2014 03:45AM
@dc42 - that was my original plan and have printed many parts with teeth around the peg, however when the belt is curved that way the teeth on the belt close together and I can't print small enough teeth to fit the tiny gaps, it's not for want of trying I've printed 10+ variations of that type. I can post the scad if you fancy having a play, I think Ian's idea is best, I'll be doing that on my only today as my belt looks exactly like yours too

@Ian - thanks for you input, I did wonder about doing that, I assume the only reason for the twist is so the belt teeth mesh together?

January 19, 2014 06:00AM
iamburny
@dc42 - that was my original plan and have printed many parts with teeth around the peg, however when the belt is curved that way the teeth on the belt close together and I can't print small enough teeth to fit the tiny gaps, it's not for want of trying I've printed 10+ variations of that type.

In that case, how about having just a slot with teeth in it on that side, similar to the x-carriage? The excess belt can all be taken up on the other side.

January 19, 2014 08:08AM
iamburny
Y Bed attachment parts to avoid slipage

Thankyou for those parts. I printed them and fitted them yesterday, and it has made a huge difference to the quality of my prints - I now get perfectly straight sides and square corners. My technique was to bolt on the parts leaving the bolts a mm or so loose, attach the belts to the posts pulling as tight as I could by hand, and then tighten the bolts to tension the belt, which now twangs nicely but still moves easily. Seems to have got rid of all the backlash without needing to fit a separate tensioner to the pulley, so I scrubbed my plan to do that mod.

Dave
(#106)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login