Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ormerod Duet Board Failure

Posted by PhilipTheMobster 
Re: Ormerod Duet Board Failure
May 11, 2014 12:03PM
TONYR
Thanks for the quick reply Ian, I have also sent you a note via the support email address. Looking at my machine, I think that the sleeving on the cartridge heater wiring has been touching the Z axis as there are marks on the sleeve from the stainless steel studding.
Tony

A 12V short to the frame shouldn't be terminal to the Duet, unless there's a route to ground through the 5V or 3.3V circuit, ie if they are also shorting on the frame.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
May 11, 2014 12:38PM
TONYR
Looking at my machine, I think that the sleeving on the cartridge heater wiring has been touching the Z axis as there are marks on the sleeve from the stainless steel studding.
Tony

My first reaction was that you have installed the heater on the wrong side, because on my build the heater wires are on the right hand side of the hot end looking into the fan, and therefore can't touch the z-threaded rod.

But I've just looked at the current instructions, which show the heater wires on the left side. So did I build mine incorrectly, or have the instructions changed?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

May 11, 2014 12:45PM
It shouldn't really matter which side the heater cartridge is installed on. We wire it up the side closest to the X motor, because that's where we put some lugs to hold the wires, and the heater and thermistor wires run on the side close to were fan wires come out, so you can bunch them together easier and neater. Also, a closer bend on the heater wires can help the heater cartridge to stay in place.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
May 11, 2014 06:16PM
droftarts
It shouldn't really matter which side the heater cartridge is installed on...

But it sure is nice to have all the wiring nice and tidy on the safer side of the hot end

Erik
May 15, 2014 03:56PM
Some feedback: Reprap Support informed me that they will replace my board. I will give more feedback as soon as I have received my new board.

I had some time to think about what the problem can be and and my best guess is that the spikes on the supply when the heater switches off feeds back into the power or one of the processor IO lines. I therefore think that before I test be new board I will make at least some of the changes suggested elsewhere on the forum.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login