Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone interested in an LCD control panel for the Ormerod?

Posted by dc42 
Re: Anyone interested in an LCD control panel for the Ormerod?
November 25, 2014 02:18PM
Another progress report.

Hardware: the prototype PCBs have been made and are on their way to me. On past experience, I should get them in about a week from now.

Software: I am now able to do axis movements and print files from the SD card.

As usual, ignore the striations and the colour variation, they are not really there. In the left hand image, I have touched the X position (the field with a faint green outline), causing the popup menu at the bottom to appear, which allows me to move the head along the X axis. In the right hand image, I have touched one of the filenames in the list, causing the popup window to appear.

I still haven't connected or programmed the rotary encoder, and I'm wondering whether it is really needed. I have no problem doing everything with the touch interface, although to ensure I select the correct field, I have got used to touching the screen with the end of my fingernail rather than the pad of my finger. Perhaps I won't include the rotary encoder on the board as standard, but leave it as an option that can be added if a user wants to.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2014 04:44PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

November 25, 2014 02:38PM
Nice!
November 25, 2014 03:08PM
like it!!!!!
November 26, 2014 04:18PM
I've now written the fitting instructions and posted them at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]. There are no photos yet, because I am still waiting for the prototype PCBs.

I notice that Amazon UK has a couple of SainSmart 4.3 inch TFT displays at £21 each. I am hopeful that these SainSmart displays may be compatible with the Itead ones I am working with, as they are quicker to get hold of in Europe and the USA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2014 04:18PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

November 26, 2014 05:07PM
dc42
I still haven't connected or programmed the rotary encoder, and I'm wondering whether it is really needed. I have no problem doing everything with the touch interface, although to ensure I select the correct field, I have got used to touching the screen with the end of my fingernail rather than the pad of my finger. Perhaps I won't include the rotary encoder on the board as standard, but leave it as an option that can be added if a user wants to.

A quick google tells me the sainsmart 4.3 touchscreen is a resistive one, rather than capacitive. In that case I don't think you need a whiz wheel / rotary encoder. If it were capacitive, then I could understand people would be frustrated not being able to use fingernails or PLA printed styluses etc. and so would need an alternative way to navigate.
Resistive means you can poke anything at it. In my experience, where the general public have access to resistive touchscreens we do see many of them damaged with biro's, knife tips, anything sharp really but if someone is buying it for themselves they do tend to think before they tap.
November 26, 2014 06:06PM
Some of you kindly volunteered to design enclosures for the control panel. Attached is a sketch showing the dimensions needed to accommodate the prototype, so that you can update your designs. I intend that the production boards should be the same, or at least use the same dimensions. Let me know if anything isn't clear. Here are a few notes:

1. This sketch is as viewed from the top, so you will need to invert it for printing.

2. Area B is a thin margin to cover the edge of the display, thinner than the main part of the enclosure face which is area C.

3. The overall dimensions I have shown are for the inside of the box, not the outside.

4. I suggest that pullars D and the right hand pillar E are joined to the edges of the enclosure for strength.

5. Hole F is only needed if the optional rotary encoder is fitted.

6. Overall depth of the enclosure needs to be about 4mm more than the height of pillars E.

7. The rectangle at the bottom right is for access to the micro USB programming socket.For the depth, looking into the back of the enclosure this time, it needs to start about 4mm below the top of pillars E and finish 1mm above the top of pillars E.

8. This version is for the 3.2 inch widescreen display. Let me know if you want to do a variant for the 4.3 inch or 5 inch display! I have those displays on order now.

9. There will need to be provision for the 4-way cable to leave the enclosure. if the enclosure has a back, then it can lie in a shallow recess in one of the back edges of the main box.

Please post your updated designs so that I can print one before the PCBs arrive, hopefully before the end of next week! I would prefer OpenScad files in case I need to make any tweeks.

Thanks in advance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2014 06:54AM by dc42.

November 27, 2014 06:58AM
In the previous sketch, I forgot to include holes in front of the piezo buzzer to let the sound through. I've just uploaded a new sketch with the position of the piezo buzzer added (marked H). I suggest 7 holes in a hexagonal + centre pattern. I find that small square holes print better than small round ones. The diameter of the sounder is about 12mm.

EDIT: I just received the actual piezo buzzers I will be using. The buzzer has a single hole about 1.8mm diameter in its face. So a single hole at position H, perhaps 2 to 3mm diameter, is probably all that's warranted. Best make it look different from the holes for access to the Erase and Reset buttons though!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2014 10:39AM by dc42.

December 05, 2014 05:34PM
Here is another progress report. The PCBs arrived from China on Monday, but the solder stencil coming from here in the UK got stuck in the post for a extra 4 days. It eventually arrived this morning and I started assembly. So I now have 3 prototypes. Here are some pictures of the board, and the board attached to a 3.2" widescreen display:

And here is the board attached to the 4.3" display:

The extra size of the 4.3" display makes it much clearer and easier to use. So this is the display I will recommend. It costs $38 from Itead instead of $22 for the 3.2" widescreen display, but I think the extra cost is worth it.

While waiting for the stencil to arrive, I wrote the firmware to enable the axes to be homed, and to display the percentage of print complete. So I can now do complete prints using just the LCD screen. I also implemented M117 (display message) and M300 (play beep sound) in the Duet firmware. I still have to implement the user-defined macro function.

I'm seriously considering dropping the rotary encoder support completely. It would allow me to use a smaller processor and reduce costs. I would also be able to reduce the size of the PCB, so the printed enclosure could be smaller. I find the touch interface is adequate. Would any of my prospective customers object?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2014 05:39PM by dc42.

December 06, 2014 01:50AM
Looks good with a smaller case. I am a prospect buyer also without the support.
December 06, 2014 03:19AM
No objections here.
December 06, 2014 04:00AM
dc42
...I find the touch interface is adequate. Would any of my prospective customers object?

Fine with me!

Erik
December 06, 2014 04:32AM
I'm happy with your suggestion, sounds like the touch screen will be perfect.

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
December 06, 2014 04:40PM
Impressive stuff as usual.
I'm looking forward to this development.
December 07, 2014 01:18PM
Impressive!

If you skip the rotary input then the boards can be ontop of eachother and that saves space. Its easier to mount a thick screen-module then a wide flat one.
I am very interested to get one, if i keep my Ormerod 2.

I would like the capacitive screen rather than a resistive, they work with fingers or one of those pens you can get for phones for almost nothing.

//Robert
December 07, 2014 02:34PM
Hi Robert,

All the low-cost touch screens are resistive. I find they work quite well enough. You can use your finger, or the tip of a fingernail, or a stylus on them. They don't support multi-touch like the capacitive sensors on phone touch screens do, but that isn't a problem in this application.

If I drop the rotary encoder support then I will still need to keep the mcu, piezo buzzer and the two push buttons on the exposed part of the board. The mcu wiring to the display connector would have too many crossovers if I moved it to the other side. Even so, I could probably reduce the exposed depth of the board by about one third.

December 08, 2014 08:40AM
How about moving the sounder & buttons to the other side? It would be neater to have the PCB tucked away behind the display.

Dave
December 08, 2014 08:46AM
If the buttons are moved to the other side of the connector, then they would have to be mounted on the other side of the board so as to be accessible. That would increase the assembly cost, because they would have to be hand-soldered. Similarly for the piezo buzzer,

I've made the production PCB design narrower by 2.5mm, which is a start.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2014 08:46AM by dc42.

December 08, 2014 02:18PM
Hi dc42

Great progress, I'm also interested in one if I can be added to the list. Thanks

Luke
December 09, 2014 03:13AM
Great work dc42!
I will definitely want one of these.
December 09, 2014 03:15AM
Fantastic work dc42 !

-Liam
December 09, 2014 04:15AM
I will order the production PCBs very soon. So that I can decide how many to order, if anyone intends to order one of the finished items from me but has not already said so in this thread, please PM me. Target price is GBP40 plus shipping and VAT, but this excludes the display. I may keep a small stock of displays, but for most people it will probably be cheaper to source them locally or direct from China.

December 09, 2014 07:30AM
If you can, I woukd love one with the display.
December 09, 2014 07:43AM
dc42
I may keep a small stock of displays, but for most people it will probably be cheaper to source them locally or direct from China.

I possible, my order display included please

Erik
December 09, 2014 01:49PM
I've located a possible source of cheaper 4.3" display modules here: [www.ebay.co.uk]. These come direct from China, so they would probably take about 3 weeks to arrive. The connector is at the side instead of the bottom, but that shouldn't matter, it will just need a different enclosure design. I ordered one a few days ago to try out. I expect the same item can be found on eBay sites in other countries.

December 10, 2014 05:58PM
Got a little carried away and ordered the screen from ebay, it was too cheap to resist.
I havent even placed the order for the Ormerod2 yet winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2014 05:59PM by Vizual54.
December 28, 2014 07:05AM
Another progress report:

* I expect to have these boards for sale on or about 21 January. Price for the board + connector shells + crimp pins will be about GBP39 + shipping + VAT.

* I am making arrangements with a well-known distributor of 3D printer parts and kits. The distributor intends to sell kits, comprising my controller board + display + cable. If you buy direct from me then you will have to source the display yourself and make up the cable using the crimp connectors I supply. Your choice!

* The alternative (lower cost) 4.3 inch display that I sourced from [www.ebay.co.uk] is working well:

So this is the display that I suggest, as it costs much less than the Itead one. Mine arrived 19 days after I ordered it. So if you want to source the display yourself and have it delivered around the same time you get the controller board from me, best order it now! The Sainsmart 4.3 inch display also looks identical to this one, see e.g. [www.amazon.co.uk].

December 28, 2014 01:38PM
Any idea of the kit price?
December 28, 2014 02:54PM
Fpex
Any idea of the kit price?

Not yet. Expect to pay a fair bit more then buying the board and display separately. The distributor needs to cover the costs and risk of stocking boards, making the cable, paying for warranty exchanges, testing the display, packaging, insurance etc. and will have to charge customers in the EU VAT on the whole cost of the kit. Whereas here in the UK at least, individuals can generally import low-value items from China VAT-free.

December 29, 2014 01:41AM
I will go "your" route then :-)
January 01, 2015 10:14AM
Do you take preorders for the board?
Got my TFT some days ago but have not had the time to try it out yet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login