Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New batch of differential IR z-probe, fan control etc. hot end boards

Posted by dc42 
New batch of differential IR z-probe, fan control etc. hot end boards
August 19, 2014 02:58PM
I am about to commission manufacture of another 30 hot end boards. As the rate of orders has slowed down, this is probably the last batch I will have manufactured. So this may be your chance to get one.

The board attaches to the side of the fan duct. It replaces the standard z-probe and uses differential IR technology to allow it to work anywhere on the bed, without the need for special targets. It has been tested on plain glass, Kapton tape, and solvent cement. You can use it to do z-homing in the centre of the bed for greatest accuracy, and also to do 5-point auto bed compensation. Because it is mounted on the hot end and in line with the X axis, it is less sensitive to variable head sag than the standard probe.

As well as providing a much more usable z-probe, the board also provides illumination of the bed using three Cree LEDs. It has an amber LED to indicate that the nozzle heater is powered, and a red LED to indicate that the Z probe has reached the trigger height.

Please PM me if you are interested and are not already on the waiting list. The fitting instructions can be found at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] and the schematic and firmware can be found in my Github respository. The provisional prices are the same as for the last batch (see [forums.reprap.org]), but if I get enough orders to have 50 made instead of 30, then I will reduce the price.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

Re: New batch of differential IR z-probe, fan control etc. hot end boards
August 22, 2014 07:06AM
Thanks to those of you who have placed orders. As well as the regular board, I am going ahead with a small batch (max. 10) of boards for dual nozzle Ormerods. These include the connectors for the second thermistor, heater and hot end loom, another amber LED to indicate when the second heater is active, and they turn the fan on when either thermistor is disconnected or above about 40C. I'm still dong the costings, but I expect to price the dual nozzle board at GBP6+VAT more than the single nozzle board.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

August 22, 2014 03:18PM
I am interested in a single nozzle board. But wonder if I bought a dual in case I decide to go that route, can I initilly configure it to operate on a single nozzle.
August 22, 2014 03:22PM
I'm struggling _a lot_ with my original z-probe. It seems to be extremely sensitive to light and the z axis has "crashed" into the bed two times already (while homing). I guess your z-probe works in a different way?
In that case, sign me up and I'll send you a PM.
August 22, 2014 05:10PM
Johneato, you could use a dual nozzle board in a single nozzle system if you connected an extra wire between the unused #2 thermistor connector and the #1 thermistor connector. This is necessary to prevent the board sensing a disconnected #2 thermistor and turning the fan on.

Bitfield, the original Ormerod proximity sensor is sensitve both to ambient IR and to the target surface. I hacked my proximity sensor board and the firmware to add modulation, see [forums.reprap.org]. It reduced sensitivity to ambient IR by a factor of about 15. RRP is now shipping a very similar modulated sensor with Ormerod 2 and I expect they will offer it as an upgrade soon. I was subsequently able to further reduce rhe sensitivity to ambient IR by adding another resistor.

The board I now offer uses two IR LEDs and one phototransistor. It monitors the relative intensity of the reflections from the two LEDs. It is completely insensitive to ambient IR unless the IR is so strong as to saturate the phototransistor (which the board signals), and it is much less sensitive to the bed surface. So it does not need white paper targets and it can be used anywhere on the bed. For good measure I added other features to the board as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2014 05:13PM by dc42.

August 23, 2014 08:36AM
Is this compatible with the original firmware or do I have to run your firmware as well? Not saying it's any good, I'm using it at the moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2014 08:36AM by bitfield.
August 23, 2014 09:57AM
The standard differential mode will work with the original firmware. There is a backup simple modulated mode that only works with my firmware fork at present. I included the backup mode to make X homing less critical, but you don't need to use it if you are prepared to adjust the height of the sensor pad if necessary. I don't use the backup mode myself.

August 25, 2014 04:02PM
I sent you a PM the other day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2014 04:02PM by bitfield.
August 27, 2014 06:54PM
Hi, there are forecasts for payment and shipment of the new IR sensor?
Greetings and see you soon
Claudiosmiling bouncing smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
August 27, 2014 07:25PM
Hi Claudio,

I received all the components for the new batch today and I am only waiting for a new solder stencil before I commission manufacture. I expect to be shipping boards on 23 September although there is a chance it could be sooner than that. I will finalise prices and send payment requests around 9 September.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2014 04:31PM by dc42.

August 28, 2014 04:25PM
Hi dc42

I have one of your mk 1 boards but want to move up to having a dual nozzle machine. Could I buy a single mark 2 board and use that together with the mk1 on a dual nozzle machine or would I really need the dual nozzle board?

Alan
August 28, 2014 04:30PM
Hi Alan,

Unless you are happy for the fan to run continuously, you really need the dual nozzle board, to monitor both thermistors to decide when to turn the fan on.

August 28, 2014 07:15PM
Hi dc

Can you pencil me in for one of the Dual nozzle boards please.
August 28, 2014 07:26PM
ezwul
Hi dc

Can you pencil me in for one of the Dual nozzle boards please.

Done. Please send me your PayPal email address via PM, also which country you want it shipped to, and your EU VAT number and company name if applicable.

Only 2 dual nozzle boards unallocated now. Perhaps I should have planned for more than ten.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login