Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Commissioning an Ormerod 2

Posted by shauna 
Commissioning an Ormerod 2
May 07, 2015 11:13AM
Hi,
I'm new to 3D printing and I'm at the commissioning stage with my Ormerod 2. I've reached the stage where I've selected the board and port in Arduino (duet is listed for both) and in the Serial Monitor window I've selected a speed of 115200 and Newline. However I don't get a message saying "RepRapFirmware is up and running" as I should. I've tried typing M105 in the text box in the serial monitor and pressing send, but again nothing happens.
Does anyone have any idea what my problem might be?
The USB connection seems to be good. I had no Ethernet connection in but I'm using wi-fi so I just connected the duet to the computer using an ethernet cable to see if that would make a difference, but unfortunatly it didn't. I've also gone through the troubleshooting notes relating to this problem with no success.
Re: Commissioning an Ormerod 2
May 07, 2015 11:24AM
It sounds like you haven't flashed the Duet yet. Also, when you connect the Duet via Ethernet to your computer, you must assign a static IP address to your LAN adapter first.
May 07, 2015 01:57PM
zombiepantslol
It sounds like you haven't flashed the Duet yet. Also, when you connect the Duet via Ethernet to your computer, you must assign a static IP address to your LAN adapter first.
I thought they preloaded the cards with firmware.

Also did you go to Device manager and right click on the Arduino Due->Properties->ports , Windows tends to set them to 9600 atleast when i was commisioning mine.
May 08, 2015 07:43AM
Ethernet and USB are alternate ways of communicating with the Duet, you do not usually use both at the same time. The initial stages that you are carrying out are easiest done via USB, so leave the ethernet port disconnected for now. Assuming that you selected the correct serial port in the serial monitor, it sounds like your Duet may have lost its firmware (maybe you accidentally pressed the "erase" button on the Duet board at some stage). The aesiest way to ensure that you have selected the correct serial port is to unplug the Duet and ensure that the serial monitor then complains that it cannot connect to that port. Assuming that the Duet has lost its firmware, you therefore need to follow the instructions for flashing new firmware into the board (using Bossac) before you can do anything else. Be aware that after you flash the Ormerod firmware, the Duet will identify itself as a different device on the USB port, and so uses a different driver and will usually come up on a different serial port number, so you will need to change the serial monitor port setting.

Dave
May 26, 2015 04:26PM
dmould
Ethernet and USB are alternate ways of communicating with the Duet, you do not usually use both at the same time. The initial stages that you are carrying out are easiest done via USB, so leave the ethernet port disconnected for now. Assuming that you selected the correct serial port in the serial monitor, it sounds like your Duet may have lost its firmware (maybe you accidentally pressed the "erase" button on the Duet board at some stage). The aesiest way to ensure that you have selected the correct serial port is to unplug the Duet and ensure that the serial monitor then complains that it cannot connect to that port. Assuming that the Duet has lost its firmware, you therefore need to follow the instructions for flashing new firmware into the board (using Bossac) before you can do anything else. Be aware that after you flash the Ormerod firmware, the Duet will identify itself as a different device on the USB port, and so uses a different driver and will usually come up on a different serial port number, so you will need to change the serial monitor port setting.

Dave

I seem to be running into the same issue. I guess my Duet lost its firmware at some point.
May 27, 2015 08:07AM
Don't worry too much about seeing the 'RepRapFirmware up and running' message. It happens very soon after power is applied. It was more obvious in older firmware, which waited a long time checking for ethernet, then sent that message. I do need to update the responses shown in the commissioning instrucitons, they are not quite correct for the current firmware. More importantly is if there is ANY response.

If you get no response, check how the Duet is reporting in the Device Manager (Windows). It may have had it's firmware deleted. There is a troubleshooting guide for communications here: [reprappro.com]

It's also worth trying to connect with Pronterface. Sometimes, Arduino IDE just doesn't see the Duet, but Pronterface does. See: [reprappro.com]

Firmware flashing instructions here: [reprappro.com]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
May 27, 2015 12:00PM
droftarts
It's also worth trying to connect with Pronterface. Sometimes, Arduino IDE just doesn't see the Duet, but Pronterface does. See: [reprappro.com]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

I ran into this when commissioning my printer, I was only able to get the Arduino IDE to communicate sporadically. I wound up using the gcode console in the web interface, but I suppose pronterface would've worked as well.
May 29, 2015 06:12AM
Hi guys,

So I'm getting no response at all from the printer. I flashed the due with the firmware and it is being recognised in device manager as "Arduino Due (COM10)".
I've tried using Pronterface, in ports there are options for COM10 and COM4. COM10 is responding "Can't write to printer (disconnected?)." over and over. COM4 first says "connecting.." and then "M105" repeatedly with no response.
Ardunio IDE and my device manager recognised the COM10 port as Arduino Due.
Any idea what I should try next?

Thanks so much,
Shauna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2015 06:13AM by shauna.
May 29, 2015 07:22AM
When you flashed it, did it go through the verify stage and report that the firmware was successfully downloaded?

Dave
May 29, 2015 08:03AM
dmould
When you flashed it, did it go through the verify stage and report that the firmware was successfully downloaded?

Dave

Yes it did go through the verify stage and confirm.
Am I missing something? Does it need mains power? Or some file on the SD card? Configuration files modified?
May 29, 2015 08:16AM
shauna
I've tried using Pronterface, in ports there are options for COM10 and COM4. COM10 is responding "Can't write to printer (disconnected?)." over and over.

That is a sign that Windows thinks the driver is already in use. I think there is a bug in that driver. Remove the USB cable from the computer, then plug it back in again. Then tell Pronterface to connect again to COM10, and see if it says anything different.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 29, 2015 08:46AM
dc42
That is a sign that Windows thinks the driver is already in use. I think there is a bug in that driver. Remove the USB cable from the computer, then plug it back in again. Then tell Pronterface to connect again to COM10, and see if it says anything different.

When I unplug it and try to connect I get "[Error2] The system cannot find the file specified"
When I plug the USB back in and try to connect I get "Can't write to printer (disconnected?)." again.
May 29, 2015 09:55AM
shauna
dc42

When I unplug it and try to connect I get "[Error2] The system cannot find the file specified"
When I plug the USB back in and try to connect I get "Can't write to printer (disconnected?)." again.

It may be a faulty driver installation. Try uninstalling the driver and reinstalling. A failed install can be caused by a permissions issue or be antivirus related. During reinstallation of the driver, right-click and "run as administrator" any executables and also temporarily disable any antivirus programs. Note whether there are any error messages during the driver re-install. After uninstalling the driver, you can check whether it is really uninstalled by plugging in the printer and ensuring that it brings up the "found new hardware" window. If it does, the driver is successfully uninstalled.

If you cannot get the USB working fairly quickly, I suggest you reverse my previous advice by forgetting about the USB altogether. Get the LAN connection configured and use the web interface instead of Pronterface (which is a better interface to use anyway). You will probably need to modify the config file on the SD card to get the LAN working - follow the RepRap instructions and post if you have problems.

Dave
June 02, 2015 11:16AM
Hi Guys,

So my drivers started giving me trouble today. Different problems that I haven't seen before. When I plug in the printer to the USB port it is recognised as an "unknown device" in the USB controller section of device manager. It is no longer regognised as a COM port. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Arduino IDE to no avail. I also tried downloading Adruino IDE to a different computer and connecing the printer. I had the same problem, the computer does not regonise the device. I've tried "updating drivers" for the "unknown device" and manually selecting the "Arduino 1.6.1 -> drivers -> FTDI USB drivers". The wizard responds "cannot find better match for your hardware than the software you already have installed".
I'm confused about the cause of these problems, the computer just all of a sudden stopped recognising the USB connection to the printer.

Thanks in advance,
Shauna
June 02, 2015 12:06PM
it may be a foulty usb Cable or usb plug on the duet(which is common problem it seems).
June 02, 2015 01:22PM
Darathy
it may be a foulty usb Cable or usb plug on the duet(which is common problem it seems).
Switched the USB cable and I finally have a response from the Duet in my serial monitor!!! grinning smiley
Thanks so much for all the help everyone!
June 02, 2015 01:48PM
It may not be the cable at fault, but rather a bad solder joint on the Duet's USB socket. Changing the cable moved it enough to make contact. I suggest that you check the soldering on the connector's pins under a lens if it happens again.

Dave
June 04, 2015 06:09AM
Hi guys,
Another problem, this time with the temperatures being reported to both Arduino and Pronterface. M105 gives me a response:

ok T: B:21.3 HO:21.3/-273.1 HI:21.3/-273.0

It mentions in the commissioning instructions that you have to define the hot end tool, T, but never says how to do this.
Also I suspect the H0 and HI responses are due to a problem with my config.g file.

My Firmware version is 1.09 and my duet is a 4.7K board.
June 04, 2015 06:29AM
Your output looks good to me, and it tells me you already have a tool defined. FYI you do this via M563 in your config.g file.

Send "T0" (or T[the number from your M563 P parameter]) to select the tool, then you will see that M105 reports the current temperature as seen in the instructions. Also check out this article.

The H0 and H1 values report the current and target temperatures for all configured heaters. You'd only have to worry about it if no H1 value showed up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2015 06:29AM by zombiepantslol.
June 04, 2015 07:05AM
zombiepantslol
Your output looks good to me, and it tells me you already have a tool defined. FYI you do this via M563 in your config.g file.

Send "T0" (or T[the number from your M563 P parameter]) to select the tool, then you will see that M105 reports the current temperature as seen in the instructions. Also check out this article.

The H0 and H1 values report the current and target temperatures for all configured heaters. You'd only have to worry about it if no H1 value showed up.

That's great, thanks! I think I was looking at an out of date version of the commissioning instructions originally.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login