Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Broken fan spacer

Posted by whitebluff 
Broken fan spacer
August 26, 2015 02:28AM
Hi,

Need help. My fan spacer is broken. It's because the fan duct is really tight. Is it possible to print a fan spacer? or how can i get a new one?

Thanks,
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1120 (1).JPG (176.6 KB)
Re: Broken fan spacer
August 26, 2015 03:46AM
As far as I know you should be able to print a new one. Alternatively you can always ask the RepRapPro shop and Ian will give you an individual offer.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
August 26, 2015 11:31AM
Hold the fan in place with some jury-rigging (gaffer tape etc.) while you print a new part. The STL should be available on RRP github.

Dave
August 26, 2015 12:49PM
I hope I can find the STL for that fan spacer, but looks it's not in here [github.com]. The fan spacer is a laser cut part though. Can someone point me to the STL file?

Many thanks!
August 26, 2015 01:26PM
Because it's laser cut acrylic I don't think there will be an STL, you might be able to find a 2D sketch in whatever format laser cutters use.... or a PDF schematic. You could then 'extrude' the 2D format to the thickness of the acrylic part.... this will probably not work as well as the original part, but you never know till you try

Alternatively, you could change to the old printed parts that the acrylic spacer replaced; but since you appear to be using the cooling fan duct that connects there you probably don't want to do that.

So the way I see it you can
A - try to print a version of this, may or may not work.
B - change to the old printed parts - not ideal
C - Bug RRP for a new one, it's probably not that expensive
D - find someone/somewhere with a laser cutter that can make the part for you
August 26, 2015 01:28PM
If it's laser cut then I expect it will be a DXF file, not STL. But there appear to be some free online DXF to STL converters.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 26, 2015 03:27PM
heres the STL of the spacer if you need:
Attachments:
open | download - fan-spacer.STL (116.4 KB)
August 26, 2015 05:03PM
Woo, this is indeed what i need. thank you so much!
August 26, 2015 08:46PM
Darathy
heres the STL of the spacer if you need:

Can I ask you how you get this part as I have to rebuild some further parts from the Ormerod 2 like the PSU holders?

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
August 27, 2015 06:14AM
I just opened it in solidworks(it was in an old ormerod-master folder i had) and saved as stl. If you need i can add some other parts if you need
August 27, 2015 03:06PM
well now i broke mine aswell.... lol
August 27, 2015 06:36PM
whitebluff
Woo, this is indeed what i need. thank you so much!

Let us know if that printed version works as well as the original.

If too many of us wind up breaking ours, it would be good to know..... now I'm going to be all nervous about breaking mine lol
August 28, 2015 07:22AM
I have broken mine trying to fit the duct on, but went too far, the duct is usless after i took it off 3 times, the pins which hold the duct on are flat already sad smiley
August 28, 2015 10:01AM
Darathy
I just opened it in solidworks(it was in an old ormerod-master folder i had) and saved as stl. If you need i can add some other parts if you need

Okay thanks I will think about it. Maybe I need the PSU mounting parts but there are two parts (if I remember correctly, I only took a short look) that will be connected together and even some distance bolts are needed, too, so I am considering to provide this as one part only and the second part I need is drawn very fast as it was not complicated.

As I had replaced some acrylic parts with printed parts I can tell you that the stability is much better then the original as long as you do not use HIPS and if you use ABS you should not use too less infill but then the stability is amazing. But as I not need the fan spacer I cannot tell anything about this part.

August 28, 2015 01:35PM
Plan to print it today. Will let you guys know how it works.
August 28, 2015 01:46PM
I use a printed one on mine works fine, printed it 5mm thick in abs.

If you want to convert a dxf to an stl , you can use openscad, save an open scads file into the same folder as the dxf then use import("filename.dxf") to set the height correctly you will need to use this in conjunction with linear_extrude(height=5)
August 28, 2015 01:49PM
richokarl, can you share a STL file? I've already started printing one. Not sure if the setting is right.
August 28, 2015 04:58PM
No problem this is the one ime using, generated from the fan spacer dxf file in the reprappro quick set hot end library. I don't have a quick set hot end but the spacer works fine.
Attachments:
open | download - fan spacer.stl (229.6 KB)
August 28, 2015 05:17PM
I've printed one, see attachment. Looks very well. I'll put it on my printer as soon as I get home.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1123.JPG (58.4 KB)
August 29, 2015 01:31AM
I've installed my printed part. It works okay, The part that's needed to push into duct is a little shorter than the original laser cut part. But, it works.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1126.JPG (69.8 KB)
August 29, 2015 07:45AM
whitebluff
I've installed my printed part. It works okay, The part that's needed to push into duct is a little shorter than the original laser cut part. But, it works.

The airflow is pointing at the heating block, should be at the tip of the nozzle, change the angle a bit if you can

BTW, the routine to post pictures, I think most folks forget the last "attach"
attach a file
choose...
attach
create link in message

Erik
August 29, 2015 08:00AM
ormerod168
create link in message[/i]
I think most users do not know how this works. I had to asked ZPL before I knew it.

BTW FreeCAD is also able to generate STL-files from .DXF. I was able to manage this today (My missing inner PSU parts) but I needed some afterwork as there were no restrictions inside the sketch. Okay for only printing it would not have been necessary but I wanted to do it correctly to make sure that all dimensions are okay and it gives me the option to change some dimension like hole sizes if needed. For the parts 825 and 826 it took me less than 5 minutes so that was no big deal.
I do not know if I can print part 825 as it is too big but in theory it should fit if placed in a diagonally way. We will see.

okay BTT: Which material did you use and how much infill for the spacer?

August 29, 2015 08:16AM
I think that attaching a picture in-line only works on some browsers or something, I know it's been discussed before and we can't seem to get it to work for everyone....

The reason that spacer might not fit as well might be because there are two versions of it floating around. And thus also a couple versions of the fan duct, I know this caused some confusion when we tried to print the duct, it worked for some and not for others.

I've never really been able to get the fan to point down at the print too much, because if you do it'll sit lower than the nozzle and colide with prints. It does help some though on the high X side, but the low X side of the print doesn't really see any benefit
August 29, 2015 08:39AM
hmm i have heard that the fan spacer was redesigned a bit ,this might be erlier model that i provided. but i am unsure, iam currently printing mine and will check if it matches my spacer.
August 29, 2015 03:33PM
There's one buried in the Github repository under a previous tag. If I recall, someone from RepRap said in another thread that not everything has been exported to DXF in the master branch

Link: [github.com]
August 29, 2015 03:53PM
0x0000
There's one buried in the Github repository under a previous tag. If I recall, someone from RepRap said in another thread that not everything has been exported to DXF in the master branch

That was said to me as I looked for other parts like the PSU spacer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login