Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New firmware 1.09i-dc42

Posted by dc42 
New firmware 1.09i-dc42
September 02, 2015 03:14PM
I have just released this at [github.com] (follow the link and then press the Raw button to download it). The highlights of this release are:
  • Full support for the Duet 0.85, with auto detection of board type or manual selection
  • Improved the step ISR and step pulse generation efficiency to allow higher movement speeds, especially when using 0.9deg/step motors
  • Support for drive remapping
  • The M408 poll command (used by recent PanelDue firmware) can now be handled concurrently with other commands
See [forums.reprap.org] for full details. Please note, if you are using a 4-wire PWM fan with the tacho output connected to PC4 on the expansion connector, you will need to connect it to PA14 instead.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: New firmware 1.09i-dc42
September 02, 2015 05:44PM
Nice. The 0.85 is sweet !!

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
September 02, 2015 08:07PM
dc42
  • Improved the step ISR and step pulse generation efficiency to allow higher movement speeds, especially when using 0.9deg/step motors
  • Support for drive remapping

Many thanks. I am glad to see that this kind of motors are supported.I saw these motors and I was thinking in theory about the advantages/ disadvantages if I theoretically would replace the Ormerod motors with these ones (I do know that they do not fit).
  • Can I get a better accuracy? Or does the nozzle size prevent this?
  • Shouldn't It result in slower printing speed or especially travel time?
  • Are there any other advantages/ disadvantages using these motors except for the bigger size?

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
September 03, 2015 02:03AM
0.9deg/step motors are the same size and weight as similar 1.8deg/step motors and have very nearly the same holding torque. They cost about 10% more. Their potential advantages are:

1. They have double the resolution, so they can position the head more precisely.

2. They have almost double the incremental torque for small angular errors, again giving more precise positioning.

In a delta printer, these are real advantages, because the vertical resolution of a delta with 1.8deg motors is at best 0.01mm and in practice worse because you can't rely on single microstep movements. I published some photos on my blog showing the difference. However, I doubt whether you will see any significant improvement on a Cartesian printer, because you already have a good Z resolution, and you already have an XY resolution that is about 40 times smaller than the nozzle size.

PS One potential disadvantage is that because they are being stepped at double the frequency, you need to use a higher voltage to get them to move quickly. I changed my delta from 12V to 24V power.

The higher step frequency sounds smoother.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2015 02:15AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

September 03, 2015 06:48AM
Many thanks for this detailed answer.

I was thinkin theoretically as I saw these type of motors some times ago. It was interesting that they might double the precision but I was in doubt if this helps at a Cartesian printer like the Ormerod. That is why I asked now.
I also have not found motors with a depth of 34 mm yet. I only found ones with about a double of the depth.
So you have a better accoustic? Okay I have to change my motors. I am just kidding. This is good to know and nice but not very important feature. But you have more precision with a Delta printer? The Delta printer has a better resolution than the Ormerod with normal motors so they increase the precision even more?
But as both motors (1.8° and 0.9°) have an error of 5% shouldn't the Ormerod can take profit of these motors?
BTW Yesterday I saw a printer that was some kind of mixture of Delta and Cartesian: The z-axis was inverted that means it will be lowered during the printing. The printing head was hold by two arms and each arm consists of two rods with a moveabled connection in the middle. So it has the same advantages/ disadvantages refarding the building size but I do not know how goos the precision of that printer is related to a Delta printer.
[reprap.org]

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
September 03, 2015 07:18AM
Hello, thanks for do another update David.
Just installed the firmware, and the machine's speeded already up smiling smiley

I'm missing something from the config file thou... I think it's the command to select tool, as the Hot End heater won't come on (haven't tried the extruder yet), and no temp reading from the HotEnd.
Just combing the earlier threads, as I'm sure I saw it..... If anyone could tell me the missing command I would be very grateful.
Kim

M111 S0; Debug off
M550 POrmerod; Set the machine's name
M551 Preprap; Set the password
M540 P0xBE:0xEF:0xDE:0xAD:0xFE:0xED ; Set the MAC address
M552 P192.168.1.103; Set the IP address
M553 P255.255.255.0; Set netmask
M554 P192.168.1.1; Set the gateway
M555 P2; Emulate Marlin USB output
M563 P1 D0 H1 ; Define tool 1
G10 P1 S0 R0 ; Set tool 1 operating and standby temperatures
M92 E428; Set extruder steps/mm
G21 ; Work in mm
G90 ; Absolute positioning
M83 ; Extrusions relative
M558 P0 ; Turn Z Probe off
M906 X1000 Y1000 Z1000 E1000 ; Motor currents (mA)
M201 X1000 Y1000 Z15 E1000; acceleration tweaks for improved finish
M203 X15000 Y15000 Z300 E3600; speed tweaks for improved finish

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
September 03, 2015 08:37AM
Kim, I guess you must be upgrading from firmware much older than 1.09. You need to send a T0 command to activate the hot end. You can put one at the end of config.g file but I recommend you include one in your slicer start gcode too.

September 03, 2015 09:23AM
Btw anybody duet? Now it is even more tempting using a duet for my Kossel as it supports easily a kraken with more stable temps and less fiddling around as for the smoothie. But then, what am I going to do with the smoothie???

September 03, 2015 10:18AM
Fpex
Btw anybody duet? Now it is even more tempting using a duet for my Kossel as it supports easily a kraken with more stable temps and less fiddling around as for the smoothie. But then, what am I going to do with the smoothie???

Build a CNC Router/engraver/laser type machine and use it on there that's what I bought my Smoothie for.

Doug winking smiley
September 03, 2015 11:51AM
Hmmmm I already had tried the T0, but have added it to the end of the config.g file now....

I was using a flavour of 78, but I suspect, there is a wiring change as well?
My Extruder heater is still not coming on, nor is the Feeder Feeding..... XYZ are all working fine, and the homing files are working ok, so it's seeing the limit switches, even my Z switch which uses the tilt of the Big Blue.. eye rolling smiley

BTW
M115 reports:-
FIRMWARE_NAME: RepRapFirmware FIRMWARE_VERSION: 1.09i-dc42 ELECTRONICS: Duet 0.6 DATE: 2015-09-02

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2015 11:56AM by KimBrown.

September 03, 2015 12:35PM
KimBrown
M563 P1 D0 H1 ; Define tool 1

this works for me:

M563 P0 D0 H1 ; Define tool 1

Erik
September 03, 2015 12:54PM
Cracking stuff Erik.... Many thanks.... The Ormerod is alive again.... Thank you...

Must say thou that the stepper motors sound much nicer since the Firmware upgrade.....

smiling smiley

September 03, 2015 03:56PM
Just done a perfect Print with the new Firmware. One strange thing. I use PronterFace ( USB ) to control the Printer, and while it works ok, it reports Not SD Printing when it is.
Seems to be a bug in Pronterface, as the next print wouldn't start, even thou the Printer had been totally powered down, but Pronterface hadn't been. It allowed me to disconnect, then connect, homed all axi, then reported something like file not selected, when I had selected a file on the SD Card. I powered down Pronterface, and the printer. Restarted everything and it all works fine. I can live with that, even thou Pronterface still reports it's not SD Printing, when it is..... LoL
Kim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2015 06:13AM by KimBrown.

September 03, 2015 04:04PM
KimBrown
Must say thou that the stepper motors sound much nicer since the Firmware upgrade.....

smiling smiley

Thanks! That will be because of the new movement code I introduced in version 1.0 of my fork, which calculates precise step times instead of using the Bresenham approximation. It's not in the official RRP 1.09 version yet, although zombiepantslol has merged it into his fork.

btw version 1.09i should be capable of 40000mm/min XY moves on an Ormerod, given sufficient acceleration and if necessary a higher motor drive voltage.

September 04, 2015 07:22AM
dougal1957
Fpex

Build a CNC Router/engraver/laser type machine and use it on there that's what I bought my Smoothie for.

Doug winking smiley

Neee. I am getting a small nomad for that .... Being close it is more wife compatible.
I am going to get the new duet for my Kossel. It is definitively easier to use with the kraken. This means I will sell my smoothie5c then.

David, is your firmware easy to adapt to Kossels that are not the mini? Also the new diet has a decicated header for the panel due, does this mean I need a different then the standard one !
Thanks.

September 04, 2015 07:47AM
Fpex
David, is your firmware easy to adapt to Kossels that are not the mini?

Yes, see my blog entry on a large delta build, also see [reprap.org].

Fpex
Also the new diet has a decicated header for the panel due, does this mean I need a different then the standard one !
Thanks.

You can use either the new connector on the 0.8.5 board, or you can plug it into the end of the expansion connector as before. I use the expansion connector on my large Kossel, because the PanelDue connector is in a corner of the 0.85 board which is under an extrusion on that build. However, if you are driving a Kraken then you will presumably be using the expansion connector to connect a DueX4. In that case you have two options:

1. Connect the PanelDue to the correct pins on the 25-way expansion connector on the DueX4. The pin connections are different (see the PanelDue fitting instructions page), so you won't be able to use the existing 8-way shell.

2. Connect the PanelDue to the dedicated connector on the Duet 0.85. Preferably, get a 4-way Molex shell and crimp pins for this. However, you should be able to use one row of the 8-way shell instead and just move the pins around.

September 04, 2015 07:59AM
All clear. Thanks!

September 12, 2015 01:52PM
This week I updated from 0.78 to the actual 1.09.

Wow, what a difference !
The Web-Interface looks totally different! And really nice !
Thanks for your great work on the Firmware and the Webinterface.

Because the step was so big, I have some questions:

- I have a bed.g in my sys-Folder. Am I right that I dont need it anymore ? I have deleted it and the G32 looks okay.

- I use the original Ormerod2 IR sensor. The M558 P2 is correct in config.g ?

- On G32 the Printer is extremly fast. Okay. But if I print more then once part, then ride between the parts is extremly fast, too. So fast that I often think the part will be taken with if it doesn't stick enough on the bed. Can I slow it down ? I haven't changed the Travelspeed in my slicer. It's like before (250mm/s).

Alex

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2015 01:53PM by Alex74.
September 12, 2015 02:41PM
Alex74
- I have a bed.g in my sys-Folder. Am I right that I dont need it anymore ? I have deleted it and the G32 looks okay.

G32 runs bed.g if it exists. If it doesn't exist, G32 uses the coordinates set by M557.

Alex74
- I use the original Ormerod2 IR sensor. The M558 P2 is correct in config.g ?

Correct.

Alex74
- On G32 the Printer is extremly fast. Okay. But if I print more then once part, then ride between the parts is extremly fast, too. So fast that I often think the part will be taken with if it doesn't stick enough on the bed. Can I slow it down ? I haven't changed the Travelspeed in my slicer. It's like before (250mm/s).

You can either slow down the travel speed in slic3r, or you can slow down the maximum movement speed specified in the M203 command in config.g.

September 13, 2015 10:35AM
dc42
btw version 1.09i should be capable of 40000mm/min XY moves on an Ormerod, given sufficient acceleration and if necessary a higher motor drive voltage.

I tested this with version 1.09j on an Ormerod MK1. It works indeed and I am astonished but I am aalso little bit afraid. As I am using a bed.g-file there was no advantage, but how safe is this? If the way is blocked and the carriage drive into something for example I am afraid that this does not end in a good way.

September 13, 2015 03:27PM
Treito
dc42

I tested this with version 1.09j on an Ormerod MK1. It works indeed and I am astonished but I am aalso little bit afraid. As I am using a bed.g-file there was no advantage, but how safe is this? If the way is blocked and the carriage drive into something for example I am afraid that this does not end in a good way.

I agree, there is no point in using stupidly fast speeds. The reason I did the work to increase the maximum step rate was because I wanted to achieve 300mm/sec (18000mm/min) travel speed on my Kossel, which has 0.9deg/step motors. On my Ormerod, I have the XY maximum speeds in the M203 command in config.g set to 15000 mm/min.

September 14, 2015 01:29AM
I only tested it as you wrote that this is possible even with my MK1. It is a good way to check if something is loose. As nothing crashed or fell down everything seems to be okay. But I also limited the speed to 15000 mm/min. But I still like the idea of the 0.9 deg/step motors. So the only disadvantage of these motors is the depth.

BTW I think there is a typo in your both config.g. I found it as I prepared my new Duet board:
;*** If you have a modulated IR probe with on-board microcontroller, change P2 to P1 in the following
M558 P1                             ; Use a simple modulated Z probe (change to P1 for an intelligent Z probe)

I think it should be:
;*** If you have a modulated IR probe with on-board microcontroller, change P1 to P2 in the following
M558 P1                             ; Use a simple modulated Z probe (change to P2 for an intelligent Z probe)
As P1 did not work for me with a 4-pin IR-Probe.

September 14, 2015 02:10AM
The config.g files are correct, because the 4-wire proximity sensor from RepRapPro does not have an on-board microcontroller.

September 14, 2015 02:19AM
But P1 is the normal version and shows the normal behaviour (as I use this with my Ormerod MK1) and with P2 I get two values so there is a typo at the description. So we both are wrong. Or I am getting a big explanation why I am in trouble with my MK1-sensor.

September 20, 2015 03:00PM
With the newest Version (compared to my last v0.78) I have still some Problems.
The printing results are not as good as before. I don't know exactly why.

On Starting a print, normally there is a Homing in G-Code.
But the Homing is very, very slow. Is this correct ?
So after Bed Comensation the Hotend stays on X=213 and it takes a long, long time to home from there ...

If I do a Bed Compensation I get a
'Bed equation fits points [48.0, 0.0, 0.038] [48.0, 185.0, 0.237] [213.0, 185.0, 0.296] [213.0, 0.0, 0.882]'
First I haven't seen but on my tablet I get this as Popup.

After Bed Compensation it looks like it works correct.
So what's wrong ?

Hope to get some hints ...
September 20, 2015 03:20PM
The homing speed is completely determined by the contents of your homing files - unless of course you have the maximum travel speeds configured very low (M203 command in config.g). What homing files are you using? Which axes are homing slowly?

Whether or not you have a G28 command in your slicer start gcode is entirely up to you. I don't have one in mine, because I always home the printer by hand when I turn it on, before I load the filament.

btw my latest firmware version is now 1.09k-dc42.

September 20, 2015 03:25PM
Treito
But P1 is the normal version and shows the normal behaviour (as I use this with my Ormerod MK1) and with P2 I get two values so there is a typo at the description. So we both are wrong. Or I am getting a big explanation why I am in trouble with my MK1-sensor.

I have checked the config.g files for both O1 and O2 in my repo, and they are correct. P1 is for both an unmodulated IR sensor and for the sensor boards I sell with on-board microcontroller. P2 is for the RepRapPro simple modulated sensor that they supply with the O2 kit.

September 20, 2015 03:36PM
My homing files are like before.
If I do a homing via Web Interface the speed is normal.
Only on starting printing it is very slow.
My maximum speed travel is like in your config.g - and this is very fast !

Okay, youre right, I do a manually homing and bed compensation before printing.
So a Homing in gcode wouldn't be necessary.

I'll have a look at 1.09k...
September 20, 2015 03:51PM
So the text is hard to understand. How should I know nthat P1 is for the 3-pin version? Or was the O2 always shipped with 4-pin? But however if you are coming from an O1 it is hard to understand. Maybe "Use P1 for an unmodulated or intelligent z-probe" would be better to understand?

September 20, 2015 06:04PM
Are you sure it is the G28 on the slicer start gcode that is slow? I seem to remember that the original start gcode in the slic3r profile provided by RRP contained a G1 command without a feed rate in it, and this caused it to execute very slowly sometimes depending on what you did previously.

Alex74
My homing files are like before.
If I do a homing via Web Interface the speed is normal.
Only on starting printing it is very slow.
My maximum speed travel is like in your config.g - and this is very fast !

Okay, youre right, I do a manually homing and bed compensation before printing.
So a Homing in gcode wouldn't be necessary.

I'll have a look at 1.09k...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login