Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ormerod2 Extrudermotor wont move

Posted by Jack-Lee 
Ormerod2 Extrudermotor wont move
January 31, 2016 01:12PM
Hello,

i buy a Ormerod2 last year, but since a few month i get a problem with it.
The Extrudermotor wont move while print.
I start the Ormerod, connect it to the PC and Printerface.
When i heat the nozzle up, i could move the extruder with the "extrude" button. But when i load a part and i will print -> the Motor wont move..

Anyone had a idea?

Greetings from Germany smiling smiley
Re: Ormerod2 Extrudermotor wont move
January 31, 2016 03:07PM
does the bed and print head move?
January 31, 2016 03:47PM
What size is your filament? Maybe it's jammed?
January 31, 2016 04:53PM
From where did you get your kit? Which slicer do you use? Right tool selected and the correct temperature?

Greetings from northern Germany.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
January 31, 2016 05:07PM
Check the Gcode Console page of the web interface for error messages. It may be that you don't have a tool selected, or cold extrusion prevention is kicking in.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 31, 2016 05:23PM
Hi,
i buy it from "RS Components".
The Extruder works about 20-30h. After that, the problem shows more often.
Restart/Reconnect helps in the past, but not now.
I used Slic3r.

All other things works fine (Homing, x/y/z axis, bead and hotend heating). The Extrudermotor not move, but gets "locked", so it needs a lot of strength to move it with bare hands. So i dont think its a wiring error.

I could extrude material manually (before printing), but at print it wont work. When i paused the print, i couldnt extrude manually any more.

@dc42 : where i could check this errors without the webinterface? I connected the Printer via USB.
January 31, 2016 05:32PM
If you are connected via USB then the error messages should show up in Pronterface or whatever host program you are using. So I presume there are none, as you would have seen them.

Run M906 to check that you haven't accidentally set the extruder motor current much higher than it should be. Then check all the connections between the extruder motor and the Duet carefully. You may have a bad crimp connection. Also check that the soldering on the back of the extruder motor connector on the Duet looks OK, and the soldering of the driver chip.

One other possibility is that the extruder motor is seizing up. When the problem next happens, send M18 to turn the motors off, then see if you can turn the extruder gear by hand.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

February 02, 2016 07:33AM
Ok,
i tested it again.
I couldnt move the extruder manually.. I only think its move (because i move it only 1mm).
When the Motors are off, i could turn the Extruderwheel. When i click "extrude" it gets a short "Krrk" Sound (only a few 100ms) and then : nothing.
When i whould move the Wheel, the needed force is much higher while motors off.
Wiring and Connectors seems ok.

In the Error-Data is nothing interesting)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2016 08:16AM by Jack-Lee.
Attachments:
open | download - pronterface.exe.log (69.1 KB)
February 05, 2016 12:21AM
Any Idea?
February 05, 2016 01:10PM
try switching Cables from X to extruder and see if it happens on X or improves on the Extruder. The cable can be broken somewhere along the way. otherwise i suggest buying a new nema 17 motor.
February 07, 2016 11:28AM
I check the Wiring, thats ok, i switch the extrudermotor to the x Axis Driver -> the motor work.
So the duet is damaged?!
Then reprappro is closed...
February 07, 2016 12:12PM
I reinstall the Firmeware..
So i could move the Extruder manually via Pronterface (when the Hotend was hot). I was happy and start the print.. And then -> nothing.
The Extruder dont move againt -_- Same Problem.
February 07, 2016 12:46PM
it could be fried driver for the extruder, did you try to remove the gears and run just the motor with the print? it could be some misalignment somewhere in the asembly cousing it to get stuck.

As for the duets you have 2 options:
1: [www.think3dprint3d.com] its a newer version with a bit diferent wireing and supports dual extrusion
2: [www.replikeo.com] it is old version with 1000k resistors and from what i hear not verry good construction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 12:46PM by Darathy.
February 07, 2016 02:35PM
One thought occured to me! I had a similar problem recently - printing would start then suddenly the extruder appeared to jam with no filament being fed out.
The problem was an intemittent connection in one of the wires to the hot end (probably in the 6 way plug/socket by the hot end) - either the heater or thermistor - which caused the hot end to go cold and consequently (either through filament jam or firmware) the extruder stopped extruding. Watch the temperature- ckeck the 'watch ckeckbox' to see the temperature graph.
February 07, 2016 05:16PM
Jack-Lee
So i could move the Extruder manually via Pronterface (when the Hotend was hot). I was happy and start the print.. And then -> nothing.

Check the Console tab of the web interface. Chances are you have a cold extrusion prevented message. The usual cause of this is that the gcode generated by the slicing program didn't have a tool select command before the command to set the temperature.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 05:17PM by dc42.

February 10, 2016 02:22PM
Where i could see such errors by connecting via Pronterface (UScool smiley ?
February 29, 2016 01:49AM
Hi,
ive get a new Duet..
And!.. nothing.. Dont work?!
Could the slicer kill the print?
February 29, 2016 07:42AM
Could be the motor itself that is bad then i would guess..
February 29, 2016 08:04AM
What motor currents are set in your config.g file? Try setting them all to 1000mA
i.e.
M906 X1000 Y1000 Z1000 E1000

Dave
March 01, 2016 10:32PM
We had the same problem when we assembled the Ormerod for the first time.
The problem was a cable breakage in the thermistor wire which prevent the extruder motor to rotate.
In Pronterface did not show the problem.

You could check if there is continuity in thermistor wiring.

Martijn
March 02, 2016 07:10AM
Jack-Lee

Sounds like the G-code file is selecting the wrong tool. Maybe post the first 20 or so lines from your G-code file

Dave
March 06, 2016 10:28AM
i get a new duet, but the cable of the x-axis had a damage..

But.. the printer print!.. winking smiley
March 06, 2016 03:27PM
So was it a cable?
I ask because I am having a similar problem. The motor moves bit very very slowly now and I just bought a new duet ... last thing I want is to see my duet broken already!

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login