Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firmware/web feature suggestion

Posted by dmould 
Firmware/web feature suggestion
April 18, 2016 07:27AM
We have all started a print to find that the first layer height is bad. One suggestion has been to fit a knob on the Z screw and force Z up or down while it is printing the skirt. Apart from the strain on the gears, this should not cause any harm - however I thought that a more elegant solution would be to have a couple of buttons ("up" and "down") on the web interface marked "Adjust first layer height". These could be used while the first layer is printing to move Z up or down by 0.025mm or so per click while keeping the reported height the same, and perhaps could disappear or be greyed out after the first layer.

Maybe it could be achieved via a macro, which I'll try when I am next at my printer (can macros be invoked while printing?), but a web mod and/or a firmware mod would be better because a macro would be tied to a specific first layer height, while a web/firmware mod could be made to work with any first layer height, and also be made to work immediately rather than wait for the commands in the buffer to execute.

Anyone else think this may be useful?

Dave
Re: Firmware/web feature suggestion
April 18, 2016 09:11AM
Already works in dc42's firmware.
Set z-movements to half Height to get small enough adjustments.

So during the first layer I sometimes adjust the height. This allows for much preciser adjustment than a sheet of paper and the trial and error time is virtually none.

The problem is to remember the number of adjustments and modifying the config.g, I always forget.
April 18, 2016 09:57AM
Yes, it would be a useful feature. It's already supported by some other firmwares, and called 'babystepping'. AFAIK there is no Gcode to implement it yes. I suggest we add option S3 to G1 moves, meaning "do relative movement and don't update the current position".

I'll add it to the list of firmware suggestions for future implementation. It may be a little while before I can do it, because Duet NG firmware and testing is taking most of my time..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2016 09:58AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 19, 2016 06:56AM
fotomas
Already works in dc42's firmware.
Set z-movements to half Height to get small enough adjustments.

So during the first layer I sometimes adjust the height. This allows for much preciser adjustment than a sheet of paper and the trial and error time is virtually none.

The problem is to remember the number of adjustments and modifying the config.g, I always forget.

I've never tried using the Z buttons during a print. The problem with that though is that the height will be updated, so the second layer height will be incorrect. As I use an aluminium bed, Z homing is not consistent so I always need to set it by hand.

Dave
April 19, 2016 02:28PM
I usualy press the -/+ 0.05 in Z direction in the webinterface then send G92 z0.2 or whatever your first layer hight is.
April 20, 2016 06:38AM
Darathy
I usualy press the -/+ 0.05 in Z direction in the webinterface then send G92 z0.2 or whatever your first layer hight is.
Yes, that should work. My idea was to write macros that bumped Z up or down: e.g.

G1 Z0.225
G92 Z0.2

and

G1 Z0.175
G92 Z0.2

I've not tried it, but would have thought that the macro will not execute until the previous buffer entries have been executed, which could take quite a time if the first layer is mostly long straight lines.

Dave
April 20, 2016 02:09PM
Yes idd it usualy does not happen imidietly after i press the button, but with large prints i have no problems ,but with small and fast usualy dont have time to adjust.

If i may add a suggestion to this post abaut the Webinterface:

Can we get Check boxes next to Gcode files? and Select all at the top?
I would like to delete the Gcodes withought having to eject the SD card if it is possible.
April 21, 2016 08:19AM
You can adjust the height of the head without changing the Z position during a print. Send M206 Z0.1 or whatever value you like to adjust the head height. Negative values will move the head down.

eMAKER-blue-2.png

[emaker.io]

[emaker.limited]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login