Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Getting started and looking for opinions...

Posted by pbreed 
Getting started and looking for opinions...
January 18, 2012 05:02PM
I've been watching RepRap etc... grow up over the last few years and
it looks like this process has reached the point of being really useful.
I have some friends that have a commercial 3D printer with built in disolvable support etc...
and I have printed parts on that machine from time to time. I've also had parts DMLS laser sintered on an EOS270.

It looks like its time to add a 3D printer to my home shop, the big question, MakerBot, utilmaker, Reprap, diy? What to buy or build.

I'm not looking for an adventure or a big experimental project I want something that I can basically just print stuff with. Given that, I'm not opposed to building it myself if the end result will be fairly reliable.

I converted a 14x40 manual lathe to fully CNC and it has run reliably in my garage for more than 4 years.
I also have a Tormach CNC mill in the garage.

Clearly this is the reprap group so the advice will be build a reprap...

1)I want a machine that can build parts, I have no interest in multiple colors, but I do have an interest in soluable support material. Does any one have dual extruder with material and disolvable support working well together?

2)I really like the speed of the utilimaker demos with the bowden tube based extruder,
what are the pros and cons of a fixed extruder and a bowden based extruder?

3)Why are all the build areas so small? Is there some fundamental limit that keeps one from making bigger parts?
I'd really like the end machine to be able to build in a 250 mm square box. I'm most interested in relativly tall parts, so
100mm x100mmx300mm would be preferable to the wierd rectangle o f the new MakerBot replicator.

4)If I were to build one my self my approach would be to use custom electronics to run the extruder heater and gecko drives with a PC and Mach3 to run all the steppers. (This is the setup on both my mill and lathe and I'm really familiar with it) Is this a bit far out and should I just use the control and electronics set up that is the common reprap/makerbot or ....

5)I realize that the goal of the group is to build machines to build machines, I'm not so pure of mind, I'd probably just make all the parts out of aluminum on my mill and be done with it.

6)I think I've read enough to understand the basic process and I would likely build my machine out of aluminum and real commercial linear bearings and ball screws. The only area where I'm unsure is the extruder, the extruder looks both very simple and somewhat of a black art. Is there a good description plan or guide to building a bowden tube extruder set up somewhere? The wiki lists lots of example what ones would the group cosider to be the best of the best?

7)If my goal is to just build parts should I just order a Makerbot replicator and be done with it?

8)If there are any builders in the San Diego CA area I'd gladly trade some time making metal parts for you for some advice and experience

Thanks for taking time to answer my newbee questions.....

Paul
Re: Getting started and looking for opinions...
January 18, 2012 11:44PM
Any of the derivatives can build there own parts. Prusa is nice and simple to make and use.

Build areas are small for the simple reason that the machines become too heavy for the metal rods that they run on, if you could use railway lines then size would be huge but for 8mm rod any bigger and they start to sag.

I would build as you will get a much better idea of the how and why things are the way the are and it's usually cheaper.

Sorry I'm not in America but New Zealand so can't help there

January 20, 2012 02:58PM
As you are coming from the CNC end of things and your priority is not self replication, you are looking for a "repstrap" machine. There are lots out there, but I suggest a good place to start would be the HydraMMM. Follow the link on the right of the page to the build blog.

If you have a CNC machine have you considered using that. You only really need a heated bed, a wades extruder and say a jtype hot end to get you going. Once you have that you can print any part you want.

Perhaps others could chip in with other notable repstraps.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login